Ferodo bridges

Del

That bridge has recently had a lot of work done to it and has been repainted, losing the advertising hoardings in the process

There was a bridge over Springburn Road outside St Rollox, and an earlier view showing the ads changed...

That earlier view is interesting with the level crossing immediately next to the overbridge, one of these features that if you saw it on a model you would thing was not prototypical!

Jim

Not Ferodo but car related. Ex GC / LNER line into Wigan Central, which is behind the pub on the left.

strjn4d0.jpg

Brit15

Some interesting old motors there for reference when creating 1960s street scenes. I particularly like the motorcycle which, by the looks of the sidepanel shape, isn't British but might be a very early Suzuki two stroke twin. A rare bird at the time if so.

• Like 1

What seems a Mini van is passing the bus, so after 1960. The low wall on the right was built as a boundary to the then new Douglas house block of flats, again built early 60's, flats & pub here. The GC line ran elevated right behind the flats untill it closed in november 1964, a grand view for some !! Again a bus.

wuldu76b.jpg

The bus in both pictures (certainly the first one - I'm no bus fan) is a Leyland Lowbridge PD1, with bench seats on the top deck and a lower walkway to them - passengers sat downstairs under this had to mind their heads !!. I traveled on these noisy rattletraps hundreds of times going to school back in the 60's. Incidentally the colour scheme was Cherry and White - the Rugby team had the same colours back then.

Some nice Wigan bus photos here  http://www.yorkshireheritagebus.co.uk/1947LeylandPD1.asp

Back to bridges. The Timberlakes ad on the above bridge was replicated on the WCML bridge over Wallgate, at the side of Wigan NW station, Timberlakes being a Austin / Morris later BL agent just a bit further down Wallgate. It closed in the 70's when the road was rebuilt.

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO
  • Like 3

Some interesting old motors there for reference when creating 1960s street scenes. I particularly like the motorcycle which, by the looks of the sidepanel shape, isn't British but might be a very early Suzuki two stroke twin. A rare bird at the time if so.

I wondered too. I thought it might be a Honda CB72 or CB77, but you may be right. Looks like the chainguard on the r/h side, and these Hondas did have the drive on the right.

Edited by Coppercap
  • Like 1

I wondered too. I thought it might be a Honda CB72 or CB77, but you may be right. Looks like the chainguard on the r/h side, and these Hondas did have the drive on the right.

I hadn't noticed the chainguard, but you're right. I think that rules out Suzuki, and I'm not convinced the sidepanel shape is Honda either. Right hand chains tend to be (though aren't exclusively) a European thing, with Jawa/CZ, MZ and Ducati being offenders that I can think of off the top of my head. I don't think it's any of those either.

What seems a Mini van is passing the bus, so after 1960. The low wall on the right was built as a boundary to the then new Douglas house block of flats, again built early 60's, flats & pub here. The GC line ran elevated right behind the flats untill it closed in november 1964, a grand view for some !! Again a bus.

wuldu76b.jpg

The bus in both pictures (certainly the first one - I'm no bus fan) is a Leyland Lowbridge PD1, with bench seats on the top deck and a lower walkway to them - passengers sat downstairs under this had to mind their heads !!. I traveled on these noisy rattletraps hundreds of times going to school back in the 60's. Incidentally the colour scheme was Cherry and White - the Rugby team had the same colours back then.

Some nice Wigan bus photos here  http://www.yorkshireheritagebus.co.uk/1947LeylandPD1.asp

Back to bridges. The Timberlakes ad on the above bridge was replicated on the WCML bridge over Wallgate, at the side of Wigan NW station, Timberlakes being a Austin / Morris later BL agent just a bit further down Wallgate. It closed in the 70's when the road was rebuilt.

Brit15

I remember those Austin Metropolitans well too - not very common in Britain, but they seemed to be very popular in Nigeria. They tended to be rather brightly coloured when compared to their more staid contemporaries.

• Like 2

I remember those Austin Metropolitans well too - not very common in Britain, but they seemed to be very popular in Nigeria. They tended to be rather brightly coloured when compared to their more staid contemporaries.

Where I was brought up (Hounslow), in the early 1970s a family in our road had two - a convertible and a hard top, and they were both immaculate unrestored pastel pale blue RHD models. With two growing teenage daughters it must have been a bit of a squeeze when they all went out together, even more so on holiday!

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

A piece of totally useless trivia for you.  FERODO is apparently an anagram of the name of the company founder Mr FROODE.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hadn't spotted this thread before.

This is te one carrying the East Suffolk line over Norwich Road in Ipswich, seen back in 1981.  It looks fairly recently painted then, which must have been the last time that it was done. It's a bit faded nowadays, but still there81-166.JPG.d716efcd2a36e4b5e2b07f77d9f7266f.JPG

The road was closed as BR engineers were working on the underside of the bridge on that particular Sunday. Buses were turning by reversing using the road on the right....................

• Like 3

Almost sure that the long gone over bridge near Cutsyke in Castleford carried this advertising. Although Glasshoughton colliery was sunk alongside the L&Y, it also had a little used connection to the NE on the "Cutsyke curve". This crossed the Leeds road on the aforementioned bridge. It also allowed muck trains to dump across the road and was the headshunt for the landsale yard.

12 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

A piece of totally useless trivia for you.  FERODO is apparently an anagram of the name of the company founder Mr FROODE.

Jamie

Though Wikipedia suggests without the terminal 'E'; I wonder if Douglas Adams knew of him?

I worked relining brake shoes for Mintex-Don's agent in Stoke , back at the back-end of the 1970s. At that point, car and light commercial shoes came re-lined from the factory; we still fitted new lings on site for older cars (I remember doing a Lagonda, amongst others). Heavier commercial vehicles and plant were done on site, though I kept a stock of relined shoes for the more common types, as we had customers who did European runs on short-turnrounds. The oddest things we did were 'Manrider' shoes for the NCB.

Thus far, though the doctor sends me for regular chest X-rays, I've come back clear.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Leamington Spa had bridges painted for Borg & Beck or AP Lockheed and for Ford, both of whom had factory sites there.

Down the line at Bicester was a bridge marked up for Brockhouse Trailers of which the Army had a large number of office variants. They also made a mini-ISO container only 10ft in length, approved for carriage of certain types of ammunition (Milan missiles, for one).

The British army aren't the only users of 10' ISOs. Whilst I've not seen any being used for transport of cargo, as such, they're very common here as secure storage on construction sites and similar uses. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, PatB said:

The British army aren't the only users of 10' ISOs. Whilst I've not seen any being used for transport of cargo, as such, they're very common here as secure storage on construction sites and similar uses. 

Here you go. One of my pictures from a few years ago:

RRQY 8314 T P1 Kewdale WA 07.06.2015.

Not hugely common but did happen. As can be seen, for transit they would bolt 2, 10' containers together to make a 20' equivalent unit.

No idea if loaded or empty though...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 25/06/2019 at 00:17, PatB said:

I've seen them in those roles, too. I wonder if they are certified for shipping or if they are just ISO shaped? 

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, dvdlcs said:

Here you go. One of my pictures from a few years ago:

RRQY 8314 T P1 Kewdale WA 07.06.2015.

Not hugely common but did happen. As can be seen, for transit they would bolt 2, 10' containers together to make a 20' equivalent unit.

No idea if loaded or empty though...

Royal Wolf still going strong 

web site