Class 37

scouser

What is so special about the class 37 that keep going ? Any ideas about what could replace them, nothing lasts forever!

It is a well known fact that in the event of a Nuclear explosion only cockroaches and class 37's would survive....

• RMweb Gold

Why would you want to replace them. My spine has molded itself into two positions for driving ,class 37 for rail and Austin/MG maestro for road can drive miles and miles in both without any ill effects in either unlike more modern rail or road vehicles

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

What is so special about the class 37 that keep going ? Any ideas about what could replace them, nothing lasts forever!

Simple really - built like a brick outhouse and as tough as old boots.  Relatively simple to upgrade and modify compared with various other designs.  And generally very reliable and pretty flexible in the sort of work they can do; I found them useful, as an operator, in all sorts of different roles over a quarter of a century in operations varying from really tough freight working on steep inclines right through to emergency work on passenger trains and back to shifting really heavy tonnage on mainline freights.

• Like 1

Simple really - built like a brick outhouse and as tough as old boots.  Relatively simple to upgrade and modify compared with various other designs.  And generally very reliable and pretty flexible in the sort of work they can do; I found them useful, as an operator, in all sorts of different roles over a quarter of a century in operations varying from really tough freight working on steep inclines right through to emergency work on passenger trains and back to shifting really heavy tonnage on mainline freights.

They also have derated traction motors (same as a 3300hp Deltic) and main alternator making them electrically bullet proof, an RA of 5 making them a 'go anywhere' class and of course, they were built by the best loco builders in the world!  :sungum:

• Like 4

Cat among pigeons time - why have they been, by all accounts, a bit unreliable on the Cumbrian Coast passenger duties lately?

Is it the loco or is it the DVT I mean DBSO?

Edited by royaloak

Nothing special. They work.

C6T.

(though given a couple of heavy general overhauls since construction - to date, so would many other locomotives. No lack of spares helps, commonality of parts with other EE traction swinging that pertinent point.)

Scouser the class 37 is the go anywhere do anything locomotive it is the best of the best and the only loco from that era which is still in 2018 booked everyday to work freight and passenger services.

As said above operators drivers and train crew also like them.

Two examples of these trains are as follows one passenger and one freight from my homeland.

On the West Highland Line there is practically nowhere the track is straight and level lots of gradients and curves the class 37s performed this task day in day out with very high reliability and brought better timings to the WHL.

The second train is the Hunterston to Ravenscarig ore and coal trains worked by pairs of class 37s they were hammered on these train 80 to 90% of journey was on full power and again very high reliability was achieved on these trains.

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Great info folks, thank you all.

Is it true that c roaches really rule the world?

And what whiskey, tango foxtrot happened to that word?

Not allowed to say C o c k as its rude according to the US sources software.  Ruder there than here anyway.

C ockroaches on ships are everywhere....they are un-believeable.  Didn't get them on the gas tankers though, mustn't have liked the smell.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Is there also a "what would they be replaced with?" issue - still need of a Class 37 type loco but probably not enough need to justify building a modern one to do  the same jobs?

I thought the class 66 was supposed to be a 'go anywhere & do anything' design, although a bit heavy for many duties, which is why the 37 was retained.

There was talk of a class 38 in the 1980s so I suppose this would have been the 37's successor. It apparently got cancelled though.

• RMweb Gold

Is there also a "what would they be replaced with?" issue - still need of a Class 37 type loco but probably not enough need to justify building a modern one to do  the same jobs?

If they ain't broke why should anyone need to replace them?  The only reasons I  can think of are emissions and fuel consumption but they could no doubt be re-engined to get round any worries in that respect.

• RMweb Premium

If they ain't broke why should anyone need to replace them?  The only reasons I  can think of are emissions and fuel consumption but they could no doubt be re-engined to get round any worries in that respect.

Nothing lasts forever. There are also ever-changing requirements for running on the railway, although perhaps it's sometimes simpler to retrofit the required equipment to an older, simpler design (e.g. the 37s that became 97s).

• RMweb Gold

The English electric CSVT/SVT  engine is quite easy to get spares for still, including rings and bearings, also don't forget that its very closely related to the class 20 class 31 class 40 and class 50 and class 56 engines so wide variety of spare parts has always been available. They are simply the same engine with modified heads and more cylinders and turbo's.

the main reason however is no new diesel that's compliant with European emissions regs fits comfortably within the the british loading gauge so numerous and as simple as they are 37s are one the classic traction options that got a second lease of life....as a cost effective stop gap.

Edited by pheaton

• RMweb Gold

Nothing lasts forever. There are also ever-changing requirements for running on the railway, although perhaps it's sometimes simpler to retrofit the required equipment to an older, simpler design (e.g. the 37s that became 97s).

But they have lasted almost 57 years with very few needs for modification (other than adaptation for different work) and have even gone through modification to work with ERTMS.  That makes them almost unique among BR 1950s/60s diesel loco designs and suggests they are not only tough but adaptable.  One day the metal worm will no doubt get them and maybe obtaining spares will become more difficult but it's none too easy to think of many other UK diesel loco designs that have been as versatile or worked as well (without numerous modifications) as these.  I doubt UK industry would be capable of producing a successor and I wonder if any non-US design would be as capable, flexible, and reliable over such an extended period - even when they were over 30 years old I was making good money for my employer hiring out the fleet of them I had control of on a very varied range of work and it's clear that sort of market still exists as most, if not all, of my little fleet are still very active.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 2

I thought the class 66 was supposed to be a 'go anywhere & do anything' design, although a bit heavy for many duties, which is why the 37 was retained.

There was talk of a class 38 in the 1980s so I suppose this would have been the 37's successor. It apparently got cancelled though.

The 66 was/is and when EWS came about the then Grande Fromage, Ed Burkhardt, said there would be a clear out of locos especially the 47 which was maintenance heavy but the 37 was an issue as there wasn't any similar product offered new. Edited by Calimero

• RMweb Gold

I'm with Stationmaster Mike on this; their solid build, reliability, adaptability, and versatility have ensured long and useful lives.  They are the only option nowadays in this power range unless you include the class 33 survivors, another long term success but without the 6-axle pulling capability of the English Electric loco.  A rebodying with better cabs giving greater visibility might be a good idea, but this is a fundamentally good all round beast as it stands, and may yet have many years of service to offer.  Emissions and noise will probably kill them off eventually, but as Mike says these could be eliminated as issues by new engines.