Painting a Southern Vectis Bristol 'open topper.'

Peter Jordan

I will shortly be converting a 1:76 scale model of a Southern Vectis Bristol utility bus into an 'open topper' and I've just been looking at availability of the cream paint that I will need for the livery.

Both Cherry and Fleetmaster sell the correct colour (Tilling cream) but they want a small fortune for shipping a little tin to the Isle of Man. Over here I can get hold of Revell or Humbrol colours without too much difficulty, so can anyone tell me a colour (Revell, Humbrol or other) that is a good match?

Is there a cream in the 'Railmatch' range that might do? Most of those are available as acrylics and postage on those is reasonable. It's the solvent-based paints that they charge like wounded bulls for.

Peter Jordan

Castletown, Isle of Man

Humbrol 'ivory' #41 is a little paler than the rich Tilling cream, but could represent a faded version. Alternatively, paint a yellower shade as a base coat, then add thin coats of the Humbrol colour until you get the desired 'creaminess' - the 'ivory' is a fairly transparent colour..

Edited by SRman

• 2 weeks later...

Humbrol 'ivory' #41 is a little paler than the rich Tilling cream, but could represent a faded version. Alternatively, paint a yellower shade as a base coat, then add thin coats of the Humbrol colour until you get the desired 'creaminess' - the 'ivory' is a fairly transparent colour..

Thanks for that, I'll try and source some.

While I have this model in bits it occurred to me to try and paint the seats and floors to make them rather more realistic than the 'one piece' coloured plastic moulding that they are presently. Does anyone know what colours they should be? I have a book with a  number of colour pictures of Southern Vectis Bristol buses in, but nothing that shows interior detail.

Peter Jordan

Castletown, Isle of Man