Britain's Model Trains 2018

dibber25

Just had a flick through my copy and it seems to have been updated a bit haphazardly.

Why aren't there any details on the Hornby B12, for example?  its been out for over a year and well reviewed in all the mags (MR included) yet there's no up to date details and its still illustrated by the EP.  There's a few more of last years models that haven't had an update either.

Just had a flick through my copy and it seems to have been updated a bit haphazardly.

Why aren't there any details on the Hornby B12, for example?  its been out for over a year and well reviewed in all the mags (MR included) yet there's no up to date details and its still illustrated by the EP.  There's a few more of last years models that haven't had an update either.

The B12 has never been reviewed in Model Rail. Hornby doesn't supply review samples so Hornby products only get reviewed if a member of staff buys the item. (CJL)

The B12 has never been reviewed in Model Rail. Hornby doesn't supply review samples so Hornby products only get reviewed if a member of staff buys the item. (CJL)

Surely you could update the plcture to reflect the fact that this is an existing model and not a future release?

Surely you could update the plcture to reflect the fact that this is an existing model and not a future release?

....but we don't have a model to photograph. The picture of an engineering prototype was taken at the last press briefing which Hornby held, it is therefore the most up to date image we have. (CJL)

Edited by dibber25

....but we don't have a model to photograph. The picture of an engineering prototype was taken at the last press briefing which Hornby held, it is therefore the most up to date image we have. (CJL)

You don't have a model of Hornby's upcoming Lord Nelson or Bachmann's H1 and H2 either but the pictures you use look like manufacturers ones from their catalogues. Why can't you do the same for the B12?

But if you’re not reviewing every new model, why does it say on the front cover in block caps “EVERY NEW MODEL FOR 2018”?

Paul

• RMweb Premium

But if you’re not reviewing every new model, why does it say on the front cover in block caps “EVERY NEW MODEL FOR 2018”?

Paul

I suspect the answer to this will be because every new model for 2018 will be listed , while the B12 was 2017 or even 2016? However I think the “complete guide to U.K. model trains “ is probably more of an issue as some models from the major manufacturer are not reviewed.

I haven’t seen the 2018 version, but I bought it in 2016 or 2017 , can’t quite remember which , because I wanted to get up to date with what was available in N , thinking I might start a layout . For that purpose it was a very good publication.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Since being published, I looked through at least 10 different WHSmiths and other shops selling model railway magazines in the south east, there was not a single copy to be found even if they had Model Rail magazine.

Is the south east banished from having copies?

I've seen it on London terminal station bookstalls.

Positive that it still contains a brief mention of my favoured niche, coarse/tinplate 0 gauge, but the content there looks a bit recycled and out of date. Despite it being a small niche, and because it is very much 'small production run' territory, things move on at quite a pace.

If the compilers are looking for someone to scribble a revised version next time, I or one of several others could easily help.

Kevin

I look forward to this magazine every year and managed to buy it direct for 'Bauer Media' this year and paid via PayPal and sent direct to my door, the way forward from now on, although a Digital version would be nice to have as an option to.

Regards

Jamie

In the days of limited runs, by the time this is printed sadly many Locos will no longer be available.

Perhaps BMT 2018 should be subtitled "These you have missed..."

Then again, missing the train is so prototypical!

• Like 2

In the days of limited runs, by the time this is printed sadly many Locos will no longer be available.

I think 'many' is an exaggeration. Shorter production runs have certainly affected the longer-term availability of some locomotives in specific liveries as part of main ranges. That should not be confused with limited editions where there is usually ample advance warning to order before production even starts. (CJL)

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/12/2018 at 10:40, Frond said:

Just wondering if anyone knows when the 2019 edition will be published? so that I know when to start checking out W H Smiths.

Good evening,

I recall it was around this time last year that the magazine was issued so hopefully it will not be too far away now. I find it most useful for when I decide to purchase an older model. 

All the best

Charles 

On 10/12/2018 at 10:40, Frond said:

Just wondering if anyone knows when the 2019 edition will be published? so that I know when to start checking out W H Smiths.

I don't have the date for publication as I'm at home, not in the office. However, we finished proof-reading it a little over a week ago, so I would expect that it is imminent. (CJL)

• Thanks 1