Santa Maria (RhB) -

warbonnetuk

Having had the pleasure of operating Ian Lampkin's (Roundhouse) layouts over the years I was very impressed with the JMRI Panle Pro driven switch panels that he uses and the intension was to have the same arrangement for Santa Maria; in this case running off a cheap Windows tablet.

An inital version was put together by Ian using the Anyrail plan I'd drawn up imported into Panel Pro. This worked fine on a laptop but when moved to a smaller screen have the layout diagram disappeared regardless of the zoom on the screen. While we ran without this facility at Warley it was tricky for the operators to see the direction points were set on the scenic section from the back of the layout so it was either solve the Panel Pro issue or build and wire up a LED track diagram. The issue forced itself after my laptop hard drive failed and I lost both the original Anyrail file plus the Panel Pro panel.

After a couple of unsuccessful attempts at trying to create a new panel via the JMRI Help function another friend mentioned in a conversation that he's come across some helpful tutorials on YouTube and so, with my boys occupied on the Xbox yesterday afternoon, I managed to set up the points / switches and the panel on the laptop and copy it to the tablet where is displays perfectly. Next job is to clear enough space in the garage to set a couple of layout boards up and hook up the DCC and tablet to see if it works....

Santa Maria JMRI panel.JPG

• Like 5

The RhB have taken advantage of the reduced traffic to relay the track and realign the wires at the western end of Santa Maria. Hopefully the majority of the work will be done by next week

20200513_164002.jpg

20200513_175306.jpg

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Well best laid plans and all that.....

Got the track relaid, rails solders and cut across the board joint and masts respaced and then......nothing else. Having had another look at the scenery join just in front of the tree line it was never great and so I sucummed to temptation and started a bit remodelling....which still needs finishing. Hopefully with the long weekend I'll be able to make some progress.

Dan

2020-05-14_17_04_44.jpg

• Like 7

During my lack of activity on the layout I have managed to knock off a couple more bits of rolling stock detailing and weathering. The service 4 wheeler had been in the stock roster for a while but has now got the full treatment of faded paintwork and roof, a bit of tinworm and related streaking and an attempt at distressing the blanked out windows with peeling paint esposing the metal sheet below

2020-05-22_10_12_25.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 weeks later...

Combo of Mrs S managing to get a Tee Time for a round of golf and waking early has got the catenery restrung.

Also started to paint the wires. I've aimed for a scale effect with a mix of Vallejo Black Grey with a touch of Black Green so it has a hint of oxidised copper

20200607_080330.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

That looks great. Having taken my first baby steps into the world of catenary recently I’ve realised just how hard this must be to get right. 

Looking forward to the next instalment. 

• Thanks 1

I'm happy with Sommerfedt as its pretty easy to source, good to work with and not too expensive. The brass, absolute scale gear is lovely but I cant justify with Mrs S to remortgage the house for it.

I just took my time with drawing out my mast spacing and where wires would go so I had something to follow when it came to drilling holes. And red cover manual is a real must for a first-timer. A wagon with a pantograph is a real asset for testing you wires. Also I had problems with the Sommerfedt flux rusting the metal on the cross spans even after cleaning them with 99% IPA as per the manual. Having used the gel flux sold by tools firms at shows it seems to work better

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, MichaelE said:

Very nice. What is your mast spacing on the curve and what radius is it?

Tightest part of the curve is 18inch radius which will still allow rolling with all details installed to go round. Masts gaps are between 17cm and 20cm set as per the method in the red manual

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MichaelE said:

I'll have to dig in the manual to find that info. I've seen the placement diagrams but haven't found any text descibing the diagrams.

The method to work out mast placements on curves are right at the beginning as its a central principle regardless of gauge or country

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In a few moments to myself I managed to knock off the weathering on couple of oil tankers. Combination of a fade with much thinned Tamiya acrylics applied with an airbrush, rust pigments and AK Fuel Stains effect, again applied with an airbrush

20200724_094432.jpg

20200724_094419.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 8 months later...

What with Covid putting pay to shows and getting side tracked with some 80's BR blue locos the layout has stayed boxed up in the garage since the track relaying. However with the prospect of needing to fulfil a show invite in Oct and the prospect of a long summer of cricket commitments I thought I'd take the opportunity of a Bank Holiday to assess the layout.

Generally all was well apart from the Sommerfeldt flux still reacting, this time on the caterary wire so that will need cleaning before getting on with painting the rest of the wires. While the boards were apart I also bit the bullet on the station forecourt area. I was never really happy with the finish, colour or layout so up it all came. the replacement landform was laid with some wall filler mixed with white glue and poster paint.

2021-04-05 10.48.41.jpg

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

As well as working on some landscaping I was also never really happy with the part-repaint I did on the Herpa Scania R500 log truck and trailer. So once again the both the truck and trailer were stripped down to their component parts, primed and resprayed using Tamiya acrylics for the blue, red and semi-gloss black body colours and Mr Color stainless steel for the bare metal areas. Weathering was a panel line wash around the cab doors and crane sections with the deck and bolsters chipped using a bit of old packing sponge. Road dust was heavily thinned Tamiya Flat Earth airbrushed around the base of the model. Still got wing mirrors to paint and fit. The only bit I disappointed with is getting suckered in to buying a set of knockoff Scania decals from China rather than the original (and far superior quality) TL Decals sheet which I'll now be getting as well as some Swiss licence plates decals

2021-05-04 13.23.08.jpg

2021-05-04 13.23.39.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 3 weeks later...

Things have moved on a bit on a couple of fronts. The road surface is acceptable smooth while still retaining a few surface knicks and scratches to get away from looking like a plastic sheet. As the Smooth-it was as bit messy to work with I decided to try air-drying clay to complete the hard standing around the station. The curb stones on the previous station base were repurposed to form the boundary of the hardstandiing in front of Track 1

On the warehouse siding the track was painted before relaying further across the take the new wider loading platform on the warehouse. The track was glued and temporarily pinned before ballasting.

2021-05-21 22.28.35.jpg

2021-05-24 22.01.07.jpg

• Like 11

• 3 months later...
On 17/09/2021 at 22:16, warbonnetuk said:

So with Barrow looming its time to crack on. With the cricket season over and getting my evenings back there has been some real progress

Santa Maria Sept 2.jpg

Santa Maria Sept 5.jpg

Barrow from near Gatwick - wow that's a trip!

I must say the single chalet house in randon greenery with a gravel drive is spot on realistic. 

Now all you need to do is to replicate what I saw at Madulain (the 'official' prototype of the station building you are using) which was an elaborate collection of steeply angled connecting narrow ramps on the forecourt side of the building  to enable to station house occupant's cat to gain access to its owner's dwelling from ground level  

On 19/09/2021 at 00:57, Gordonwis said:

Barrow from near Gatwick - wow that's a trip!

I must say the single chalet house in randon greenery with a gravel drive is spot on realistic. 

Now all you need to do is to replicate what I saw at Madulain (the 'official' prototype of the station building you are using) which was an elaborate collection of steeply angled connecting narrow ramps on the forecourt side of the building  to enable to station house occupant's cat to gain access to its owner's dwelling from ground level  

Well worth the journey - great show and great hospitality!

Thanks for the comments on the chalet - just a Kibri kit and still plenty of details to add though.

Madulain station feline-friendly additions sounds interesting. I did have a quick look on Google Maps streetview but there were no views on the relevant side of the building unfortunatley

Dan 

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, warbonnetuk said:

Madulain station feline-friendly additions sounds interesting. I did have a quick look on Google Maps streetview but there were no views on the relevant side of the building unfortunatley

Sounds like a plan for a field trip ;) 

• Like 3