Santa Maria (RhB) -

warbonnetuk

23 hours ago, warbonnetuk said:

Well worth the journey - great show and great hospitality!

Thanks for the comments on the chalet - just a Kibri kit and still plenty of details to add though.

Madulain station feline-friendly additions sounds interesting. I did have a quick look on Google Maps streetview but there were no views on the relevant side of the building unfortunatley

Dan 

For me it is important to get the 'feel' right with Alpine country modelling, and you have done just that with it's positioning.

I'm sure I recollect photographing the cat route but it would take a good while to dig it out of my archives.

Edited by Gordonwis
  • Like 1

In fact it took less time than I thought to find the photos (due to a computer crash I only have the full set from 2009 on the original SD card!). Pictures taken 16/8/2009

Here is the actual resident.

IMG_3918.JPG

IMG_3919.JPG

Not brilliantly visible from the camera angle but 'rungs' had been added to the lower beams 

Edited by Gordonwis
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

We might raid an Eastern European shop in Croydon on Saturday to stock up on Milka bars. However  I am not sure if Dan is allowed such delights and I know our other helpers arent meant to. So me and Sarah may end up over indulging on it let alone the all the beer consumption that we will have including Saturday night in a brewery:drink_mini:

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

Let's stop talking about Milka in relation to Switzerland.

Milka is a triumph of marketing over reality. Originally 'properly' Swiss as Suchard) but now swallowed up (pun not intended) by US giant Mondelez International. It is supposedly made from 'Alpine' milk, but is actually produced (for many years) in Lörrach (the flat bit of Germany adjacent to Basel!). Milka is also (mainly?) produced in other Mondelez factories in lowland (150m altitude) Poland and in France near the Pyrenees. 

Ironically, it is actually better value to buy 'cheap' Migros own brand chocolate as that is still made in Switzerland. 

Edited by Gordonwis

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Gordonwis said:

Let's stop talking about Milka in relation to Switzerland.

Let’s talk about it in relation to the RhB though ;) 

3F7232D0-2767-4EAB-91D5-FE51FD8CC26B.jpeg.e1d42112821e310f9d22e59461545a6b.jpeg

Milka is a triumph of marketing over reality.

much like other iconic brands. 

Ironically, it is actually better value to buy 'cheap' Migros own brand chocolate as that is still made in Switzerland. 

But the Milka cow is just a tiny bit more fun than a Migros container ;)

Loads of nice chocolate bars in Switzerland but the RhB van and the Milka cow are pretty iconic. It’s just a bit of fun. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 2

On 23/09/2021 at 01:30, Gordonwis said:

In fact it took less time than I thought to find the photos (due to a computer crash I only have the full set from 2009 on the original SD card!). Pictures taken 16/8/2009

Here is the actual resident.

IMG_3918.JPG

IMG_3919.JPG

Not brilliantly visible from the camera angle but 'rungs' had been added to the lower beams 

Thanks for the picture. Time to break out the Evergreen section and microstrip!

A very successful day today completing an electrical shakedown of the layout with the assistance of Roundhouses (Ian). Only minor problem encountered on the layout itself was a loose feed wire on one of the Tortoise point motors which was easily fixed. Getting the JMRI panels to run correctly was a little more vexing but we got there in the end. After the track was given a thorough going over we even ran a few trains!

Still plenty of jobs to be done on the chance that the local pondlife will stop panic buying diesel before the end of next week:O

20210928_112456.jpg

20210928_123913.jpg

Edited by warbonnetuk
  • Like 10

Looks superb.

I like the fact that you have made it so effective whilst having no complex gradients and keeping it 'simple' on flat boards. This is what I am limited to for practical domestic reasons but, as I always maintain when in discussion with people on this subject, even in the high Alps, railway lines and their immediate surroundings  are often on an area of completely flat ground (especially lines when in valleys) and that of course is even more true because all but the largest model railways represent only a tiny piece of real life territory .

Having said the above, I hope you'll allow me a small piece of constructive advice on the backscene. It looks as though the very high altitude 'above the tree line mountains'  are close by - whereas usually if the railway is in flat territory the highest peaks would seem further away, with an additional 'layer' of green-clad hills between the railway and the higher mountains

Edited by Gordonwis

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Gordonwis said:

whereas usually if the railway is in flat territory the highest peaks would seem further away, with an additional 'layer' of green-clad hills between the railway and the higher mountains

A valid point in some places but there are quite a few spots where the line is on the scoured bottom of a glacial valley so the peaks rise up very close. 
I guess it’s a slight artistic compromise with the height of the backscene as I can see the green band of the tree line at the bottom in places? 
Klosters the peaks rise up pretty much from the station but you’d need a 2-3ft talk backscene to show it transition from the forest to bare rock  ;)

D816FF7B-953F-443C-A894-3E8E75678CEC.jpeg.eb37a72e18029bfe578a70e3dc0f6218.jpeg

Thusis you’d probably need 4ft! :) 

8ED4A6D2-C834-4236-823E-33CD483966C6.jpeg.000f10f810751afa5eeca53cfdcfe3d5.jpeg

Zernez is the closest to Dan’s scene and ok there’s a fairly wide band of green but the peaks are close, maybe Santa Maria is at a closer elevation to the tree line, like the Bernina as it climbs? ;) 

567180A7-808C-4949-843C-E875E71531E4.jpeg.c041d5444f689c8a31eabfa4a0f2519d.jpeg

84B6DD35-7EAA-4E67-BC73-73D1B1C45829.jpeg.aec06d6fd8f60c427194a14077d1f9e2.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

I believe that Dan has a few more trees to plant along the backscene line but yesterday was more to make sure that the layout still worked after not being used for some time.

A few of my photos from yesterdays running session whilst Dan was driving.

20210928_133449.jpg

20210928_134309.jpg

20210928_135659.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Dan had the layout set up and tested by 6pm last night before we alm headed off for liquid refreshments in BIF.

This morning the stock was put on the layout and all running well by opening time.

A few photos of mine whilst Dan is driving.

20211009_101830.jpg

20211009_101734.jpg

20211009_101519.jpg

• Like 14