More track daddy!

Gavinn

Hi all,

I know this thread is quite old now, but as a complete newbie I've found it really helpful. I get the impression I may be the only Mum on here, and I have zero engineering/electrical experience, so please be patient with me!

My 7 year old is train-mad so we bought him a Hornby express train set a couple of christmasses ago. He very quickly got bored of the simple oval and after seeing the amazing layouts at various models shows we've been to, he's desperate for his own 'proper' layout. We have since bought another Hornby set, some expansion packs and a couple more trains. I have tried and tried to plan my own layout but every time I end up giving up as I just can't seem to make it work. 

His requirements are that it must have a bridge and a tunnel (there are a LOT more requirements, e.g. a turntable, but I've managed to convince him we need to keep it as simple as possible for now!). I originally came across this thread via @Jaggzuk 's 8x4 layout discussion. I have to say, it looks like the perfect layout for what my boy wants, and the remit behind it seems to match too (not based on anything realistic, just something simple and fun for a young enthusiast to be able to run two trains on). @Gavinn how has your layout come along?

I have tried SCARM and anyrail software, but seem to hit a block every time I try to plan anything as I just can't get it to all meet up with correct gradients, curves etc. I've tried it in real life with two Woodland Scenics incline sets too but again, just keep getting nowhere fast.

I even contacted a layout design & build service to see if they would design me a layout that I could then build, but felt pretty disheartened by their response. I think they presumed I was an inexperienced Mum with no practical skills. Inexperienced - yes, but I know my way round a jigsaw and love getting stuck into a new project (I do all the DIY in our house).

As a teacher I'm off for the summer now so thought it was the perfect time to try and at least get some track laid. As long as my little man can run some trains round he'll be happy without any scenery for a while (I'm a bit more confident on the scenery-side as I'm quite crafty and a bit of a perfectionist).

If anyone has any tips for how to plan an 8x4 layout that incorporates a bridge and a tunnel I'd really appreciate it!

TIA!

Louisa

• Like 1

First welcome to RMweb Louisa and I am sure you are not the only Mummy on here, but great to have to with us.  There is plenty of helpful info and people on here.  But I can totally appreciate your "where do I start" issue.

There is a SCARM topic, you may find useful 

Kind regards

Paul

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Weezy_79 said:

Hi all,

I know this thread is quite old now, but as a complete newbie I've found it really helpful. I get the impression I may be the only Mum on here, and I have zero engineering/electrical experience, so please be patient with me!

My 7 year old is train-mad so we bought him a Hornby express train set a couple of christmasses ago. He very quickly got bored of the simple oval and after seeing the amazing layouts at various models shows we've been to, he's desperate for his own 'proper' layout. We have since bought another Hornby set, some expansion packs and a couple more trains. I have tried and tried to plan my own layout but every time I end up giving up as I just can't seem to make it work. 

His requirements are that it must have a bridge and a tunnel (there are a LOT more requirements, e.g. a turntable, but I've managed to convince him we need to keep it as simple as possible for now!). I originally came across this thread via @Jaggzuk 's 8x4 layout discussion. I have to say, it looks like the perfect layout for what my boy wants, and the remit behind it seems to match too (not based on anything realistic, just something simple and fun for a young enthusiast to be able to run two trains on). @Gavinn how has your layout come along?

I have tried SCARM and anyrail software, but seem to hit a block every time I try to plan anything as I just can't get it to all meet up with correct gradients, curves etc. I've tried it in real life with two Woodland Scenics incline sets too but again, just keep getting nowhere fast.

I even contacted a layout design & build service to see if they would design me a layout that I could then build, but felt pretty disheartened by their response. I think they presumed I was an inexperienced Mum with no practical skills. Inexperienced - yes, but I know my way round a jigsaw and love getting stuck into a new project (I do all the DIY in our house).

As a teacher I'm off for the summer now so thought it was the perfect time to try and at least get some track laid. As long as my little man can run some trains round he'll be happy without any scenery for a while (I'm a bit more confident on the scenery-side as I'm quite crafty and a bit of a perfectionist).

If anyone has any tips for how to plan an 8x4 layout that incorporates a bridge and a tunnel I'd really appreciate it!

TIA!

Louisa

Hi Louisa, and welcome.

I think you would probably get more help if you were to start your own topic in the Layout and Design area of the forum, which is here:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/66-layout-track-design/

I appreciate it's a bit overwhelming to know whereabouts to post these things on RMWeb, there's so many different bits to it.

The people who tend to take an interest in designing and creating a layout will be more likely to hang out in the topic above, and you should get some sensible replies.

I wish you all the best, and look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Al.

• Agree 1