How to use an airbrush by Phil Parker

SteveCole

• Administrators

If you've never attempted to use an airbrush to paint and weather, Phil Parker has provided an easy-to-follow 12-step guide. Click here to read Phil's article.

post-14186-0-88597500-1520521404_thumb.jpg

You can also buy everything that Phil's used in this article for just £87 (RRP £139) saving you over £50. Click here to buy the full package.

post-14186-0-79514700-1520521370_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Good job I don't get charged for internet access, I'd ask BRM for my money back on the cost of downloading what amounts to a thinly veiled advert to buy more stuff from BRM.

The "Free" article is titled "How to use an airbrush", but devotes more text to the wonders of the air compressor they are trying to sell. At no point in this expert guide is any reference made to differing types of paints and their drying times, spraying distances or airbrush needle sizes, let alone anything to do with the variety of airbrush types out there. Just a shameless plug to further the profits of BRM.

Edited by Nile_Griffith
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I totally agree.  At best it is completely underwhelming, at worst it is nothing more than "click bait". 

A real missed opportunity to offer something of value.

Edited by 55020
  • Like 1

What's really missing is a critical evaluation of air compressors. Specifically, does the non-tank type of compressor, which is what this must be, really stand up? From what I've read elsewhere, I don't think that it does.

I'm looking at getting an air compressor (having in the past used compressed air canisters), and two things that I'm interested in are tanks and oil.

Edited by truffy

It cannot be a surprise that this is, in effect, an adformation post. BRM's owners do pay for this site, and must make their money somehow. To believe that everything supplied on here must only be completely objective and altruistically based, is simply naive. To be frank, I continue to be surprised just how much freedom to criticise is allowed on here, and long may it continue. If you want a website completely free of commercial necessity, start your own, or pay to subscribe to one.

On the other hand, this thread is probably the least subtle posting of underlying advertising I have yet seen on here.

On the other hand, this thread is probably the least subtle posting of underlying advertising I have yet seen on here.

Perhaps there should be a "BRM adverts" thread - which we could ignore or read at our discretion.

The banner ads are to be expected but, BRM, please don't try to disguise advertising as instructive posting.

I find it mildly insulting that you think that we'll fall for it.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 2

There is an interesting tip in the guide about using a drinking straw to transfer paint by dipping it then putting a finger over the top. Haven't tried that before.

But the guide also states to not mix paint in the airbrush cup, but doesn't explain the rationale for that.

I have seen many video tutorials in which paint is mixed in the cup (and done it myself), and it works just fine. Odd.

• RMweb Premium

Not sure why people are complaining about the owners advertising on their own site, i’d rather that than pay a membership fee. It would be nice to have a little more info on the compressor and airbrush, I might be tempted as I’m after something that isn’t as nosiy as my current compressor so I can do weathering at night when the little one has gone to bed.

I do find the picture and statement that I can buy everything Phil used a little misleading, the photo shows lifecolour thinners but they are not included in the list, unless they have of course been missed off by mistake.

Edited by Boco_D1

It cannot be a surprise that this is, in effect, an adformation post. BRM's owners do pay for this site, and must make their money somehow. To believe that everything supplied on here must only be completely objective and altruistically based, is simply naive. To be frank, I continue to be surprised just how much freedom to criticise is allowed on here, and long may it continue. If you want a website completely free of commercial necessity, start your own, or pay to subscribe to one.

I'm not averse to the publications owner making money. Although like many on here I signed up to RMWeb when it was run as an enthusiasts project by Andy Y and others and completely understanding of their motives by going into partnership with BRM. I don't feel that it is out of order to critique BRM's advertorial (as other publications describe them). I trawl through a lot of trade press relevant to my own particular profession and find that on a regular basis the quality of manufacturers or publishers advertorial can be informative and entertaining.

However the quoted so called article is just a thinly veiled sales pitch. What I object too is the email offering the opportunity to possibly enhance my knowledge of air brush techniques. To then find something that contains little effort to enlighten and inform on a subject that is of interest to many on here, but does a lot to entice to put our hands in our pockets.

I'm not against anyone making a profit. Just don't insult my intelligence by thinking they can get away with such a lack of effort on their part.

• Like 1

People don't half moan about irrelevant things on here. If you don't like it then don't look at it. It's quite simple. Many of us may actually be interested. I am as then I can retire my old Humbrol airbrush which I've had for over thirty years. I've been looking for a compressor for quite a while as the cans are getting difficult to buy.

There is an article with 12 easy steps. That's true. So what's the problem?  :scratchhead:

If you want a full guide to airbrushing then there are plenty of books and videos available, some are free on YouTube.

Now that may be patronising to some, but to others that could just be the spur for them to believe that they can actually use an airbrush. The fact that they have a very reasonably priced airbrush with a compressor as an offer is a bonus. I would have liked a video, mainly to see how quiet the compressor is. I'll have a look at YouTube later to see if there are any videos of the same set in use.

But there's one potential customer here.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 4

• Administrators

One of the advantages of this being on a forum is that you can ask questions and talk to the person who wrote the evil article if you chose to. I'm even doing it at 6:15 so you'll be pleased to know I'm not being paid for this.

The "not mixing paint in the cup" is an oft-repeated piece of wisdom. Yes, you can get away with doing it, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea. For a start, the paint cup isn't very big. Larger jobs will require you to fill it up more than once so a separate pot full of colour is a better idea than trying to accurately repeat a mix in the cup. When weathering, this might not matter, for top coats, it will. Next, the chances are there will be some unmixed paint at the bottom around the needle as the mixing tool won't go down there. Finally, whacking the needle isn't too clever. OK, the chances of damage are slight, but someone will manage it. 

FWIW, I like this set. It's a good step up from an external mix splatter gun for a start. Maybe it's not the setup I currently use, but then my current airbrush alone cost more than this package. I'd happily weather stuff with this set though and with a little care, do all my painting. The compressor isn't noisy (yes, a video would be a good idea), certainly no worse than any other.

The thinners aren't included in the set and those shown are only really appropriate for Lifecolor paints. I thin enamel with white spirit and acrylics with cheap car windscreen wash as suggested by military modellers. The tape is really good though.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

One of the advantages of this being on a forum is that you can ask questions and talk to the person who wrote the evil article if you chose to. I'm even doing it at 6:15 so you'll be pleased to know I'm not being paid for this.

The "not mixing paint in the cup" is an oft-repeated piece of wisdom. Yes, you can get away with doing it, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea. For a start, the paint cup isn't very big. Larger jobs will require you to fill it up more than once so a separate pot full of colour is a better idea than trying to accurately repeat a mix in the cup. When weathering, this might not matter, for top coats, it will. Next, the chances are there will be some unmixed paint at the bottom around the needle as the mixing tool won't go down there. Finally, whacking the needle isn't too clever. OK, the chances of damage are slight, but someone will manage it. 

FWIW, I like this set. It's a good step up from an external mix splatter gun for a start. Maybe it's not the setup I currently use, but then my current airbrush alone cost more than this package. I'd happily weather stuff with this set though and with a little care, do all my painting. The compressor isn't noisy (yes, a video would be a good idea), certainly no worse than any other.

The thinners aren't included in the set and those shown are only really appropriate for Lifecolor paints. I thin enamel with white spirit and acrylics with cheap car windscreen wash as suggested by military modellers. The tape is really good though.

Hope this helps.

The truth of it is that most readers seeing the title probably wouldn't mind the ads and offers if only the article actually properly told you how to use an airbrush.

Perhaps the original post title should be 'An extremely basic guide to using an airbrush'.

Dave.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well I ordered one thought I’d give it a go especially if it meant I could use the compressor at night but I’m still waiting for it to be delivered it’s been over the quoted 28 days and the sales department haven’t replied to my email. Any idea what’s going on BRM team?

• Administrators

Well I ordered one thought I’d give it a go especially if it meant I could use the compressor at night but I’m still waiting for it to be delivered it’s been over the quoted 28 days and the sales department haven’t replied to my email. Any idea what’s going on BRM team?

Sorry for no-one replying. I'll look into it.

There's been a delay on the stock arriving. I've been told that it should be towards the end of next week/start of the next. I'll chase them up and report back.

The "not mixing paint in the cup" is an oft-repeated piece of wisdom. Yes, you can get away with doing it, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea. For a start, the paint cup isn't very big. Larger jobs will require you to fill it up more than once so a separate pot full of colour is a better idea than trying to accurately repeat a mix in the cup. When weathering, this might not matter, for top coats, it will. Next, the chances are there will be some unmixed paint at the bottom around the needle as the mixing tool won't go down there.....

​Best tip I got and I've no idea where it came from was for mixing the paint / thinners was to buy up some cheap (plastic) shot glasses from the nearest bargain bucket hardware store... I did, and it works well and great for checking how thin the paint is by running it down the inside of the cup - all at pretty low cost but remember to keep the unused ones in a re-sealable bag (courtesy of IKEA in my case)!

So there you go - a cheap shot!

Edited by Bob Reid
  • Like 1

​Best tip I got and I've no idea where it came from was to for mixing the paint / thinners was to buy up some cheap shot glasses from the nearest bargain bucket hardware store... I did, and it works well and great for checking how thin the paint is by running it down the inside of the cup - all at pretty low cost but remember to keep the unused ones in a re-sealable bag (courtesy of IKEA in my case)!

So there you go - a cheap shot!

I find mixing in a spare jar and if its enamels I mix with the end of an old paint brush adding thinners with a droplet and if when I take the brush out you get steady drops of paint falling back then its Ok, it is trial and error!

Mine arrived today, but no cleaning jar - thought it was part of the deal.

It was !

Regards,

John Isherwood.

EXCLUSIVE AIRBRUSH READER OFFER!

£139 RRP YOU PAY JUST £87! SAVING YOU MORE THAN £50!

Start airbrushing today with this exclusive BRM Offer. We’ll send you everything listed below for just £87!

• SP30KC Airbrush / Compressor kit
  • SP2700 Cleaning Jar
  • SP9120 Airbrush Cleaner
  • PMA2002 Masking tape twin pack 2mm
  • PMA2003 Masking tape twin pack 3mm
  • PMA2006 Masking tape twin pack 6mm
  • PMA2010 Masking tape twin pack 10mm
  • PMA1018 Masking tape single pack 18mm

I find mixing in a spare jar and if its enamels I mix with the end of an old paint brush adding thinners with a droplet and if when I take the brush out you get steady drops of paint falling back then its Ok, it is trial and error!

That sounds about right.

Too thick & it won't spray properly.

Too thin & you get poor coverage.

• RMweb Gold

I took BRM up on the exact same offer around 2-3 years ago. I still have the Spraycraft airbrush which I use for cleaning dust off the layout and may possibly use for varnish in the future, but I replaced the compressor with a new one (AS196) with a reserviour and purchased a Sparmax MAX-4 airbrush for normal use.

Its a great offer for a complete beginner to get used to using an airbrush without shelling out a few hundred quid!

ian

Edited by ianLMS

• Administrators

It was !

Regards,

John Isherwood.

EXCLUSIVE AIRBRUSH READER OFFER!

£139 RRP YOU PAY JUST £87! SAVING YOU MORE THAN £50!

Start airbrushing today with this exclusive BRM Offer. We’ll send you everything listed below for just £87!

• SP30KC Airbrush / Compressor kit
  • SP2700 Cleaning Jar
  • SP9120 Airbrush Cleaner
  • PMA2002 Masking tape twin pack 2mm
  • PMA2003 Masking tape twin pack 3mm
  • PMA2006 Masking tape twin pack 6mm
  • PMA2010 Masking tape twin pack 10mm
  • PMA1018 Masking tape single pack 18mm

It is part of the deal. The delivery note should state that it is to follow.

Well, after that initial misunderstanding perhaps I could share a few thoughts for other potential newbies.

It is as easy to use as Phil says. After a practice scoosh with some water, I was able to produce a smooth paint finish much quicker than with a brush.

With a piece of foam under the compressor to stop it going walkabout, it just emits a gentle buzz. Nothing to bother the neighbours.

Looks like pretty much every part is replaceable

https://www.shesto.co.uk/cake-crafting/cake-craft/spraycraft-sp30-sp30-cdk-airbrush-spares/

I prefer acrylics so used soapy water for cleaning but perhaps I'll try the Lifecolor cleaner.

Yes, cleaning does take a bit of time. I expect I'll have to make a pile of stuff to be done in a session.

I'll still be using my old brushes for weathering and fine detail. Plan is to use this for a good basic finish to my wagons and vans, and anywhere there's a large area that needs painted.  No doubt other stuff too.

Graham

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
On 08/03/2018 at 15:03, SteveCole said:

If you've never attempted to use an airbrush to paint and weather, Phil Parker has provided an easy-to-follow 12-step guide. Click here to read Phil's article.

post-14186-0-88597500-1520521404_thumb.jpg

You can also buy everything that Phil's used in this article for just £87 (RRP £139) saving you over £50. Click here to buy the full package.

post-14186-0-79514700-1520521370_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately, links to on-line magazines are very volatile - not only does the link not work, but Phil's article doesn't seem to exist anymore. Unless someone knows where it is?