McDermotts Yard

narrowman

Just putting together the idea for a combined 009/00 scrapyard layout, with 009 diesel shunters working alongside 00 standard gauge locos, both shunters and mainline Bo-Bos (Class 24/25 and 20). Trying to fit in a loading ramp that a bulldozer can move a load of scrap into 16ton minerals, just like in Caia Goods yard in the 1960s. I assume these made their way to Brymbo Steelworks to be melted down.

Initial thoughts is to have a bulldozer on a solid wire and push it up the ramp. with "new" scrap being dropped in from 'off scene'... perhaps with a tipper reversing in and the back being lifted to dump the load. All done by wires?

The 009 line would consist of a diesel and a rake of scrap filled hoppers, then re-appear as empties...

The main area would be in a APA style box with fiddle yards each end...

Tony ("enjoying" even more snow... 2" last night...)

• Like 1

Since the rest of the operation sounds quite involved, I wonder if you might like to try something on the 009 line. A few years ago there was an 09 layout in Railway Modeller with mine tubs going into a mine and emerging loaded, in reality with identical loaded and full trains on separate loops. I can't remember the layout's name but it could work for the 009 scrap wagons.

Yes, the idea with the 009 hoppers might well work OK. I did a similar layout some years ago "Minera Quarry" - which was a 00/009 combination.

minera+quarry.jpg

The 009 line could drop the scrap from the tippers (more wire to operative them!) in front of where the bulldozer/tractor is located.

The tippers wound have to be fairly heavy to stop them falling down the shutes themselves!

I'll have to do some experiments with ramps/shutes/buldozers...

Tony

I was going to make the layout on a flat one foot (or more) board, but looking at my old layout, I feel that the three levels would make it more interesting to operate and to watch, so I may well construct it this way...

Tony