Pitbull's subject to change at any time layout!

pitbull1845

## LATEST LAYOUT STARTS ON PAGE 3 ##

Hi,
It's been quite a while since I started yet another layout topic and I have spent a long time thinking about whether I should or not, as none of them ever seem to get anywhere. I'm conscious of wasting peoples time who pass comment and offer suggestions .

While I've been contemplating the thread, I have carried on with the latest layout regardless, and surprisingly it seems to be going quite well, all things considered, which is probably why I've decided to log my progress.

The main part of the layout is based on a coastal terminus station somewhere in the "Wessex" Region. The station itself will see the usual commuting services provided by NSE and Regional Railways but also features Inter-City services, including a sleeper service based on the one I used to see at Poole.
There is a large Royal Mail sorting office which adjoins the station, so mail trains can also be seen and of course freight services, but I'm still working on a background story to justify freight.

All the track work is down in the station area and I've also managed to squeeze in a small depot, so I've pretty much got every angle covered when it comes to operating potential!

It's been that long since I posted, that I've forgotten how to post pictures, so that will be next on the list. PaulRhb has produced a track plan of the station area, so I'll leave you with that for the time being and I'll post pictures of the progress soon.

post-6849-0-20867400-1520553931.jpg

Thanks for looking and I hope I stick with this one!

Edited by pitbull1845
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

One thing on those two home sigs is the calling on, for attachments and the non passenger routes, will just have two white lights on the diagonal. I'd just used the existing image of a ground signal for speed ;)

It certainly looks good in the flesh too.

• Like 1

Hi,

Good looking plan, I look forward to seeing it develop.

A couple of things in terms of signalling is that both the station protecting signals, as would the platform starting signals, would have Threatre indicators instead of junction indicators. Also I would have all the signals out of the all of the station roads as main aspects personally, although what you've shown is perfectly fine.

Finally, I would make the release crossover for the platform 1 a ground frame release without the signals.

I hope that this helps!

Simon

Thanks to the usual suspects for the support (and humour) , I've done a bit more today, I've  laid the track in the FY and wired it all up. So I can now run trains if I so wish, the downside being that I only have one loco chipped at the moment.  My plan is to make the FY a scenic feature and to make them look like sidings. Nothing too exciting but I think it will look better than just plain boards.

Thanks for the input on the signalling aspect Simon, PaulRhB knocked the plan up for me, including signal placement. We did discuss Theatre indicators but I went for the cheaper option! That part  however is still a way off, so will continue to review the signalling situation.

Hopefully off to the Basingstoke show in the morning, so you never know the wallet may come out...

• Like 2

Thanks for the input on the signalling aspect Simon, PaulRhB knocked the plan up for me, including signal placement. We did discuss Theatre indicators but I went for the cheaper option! That part  however is still a way off, so will continue to review the signalling situation.

Hopefully off to the Basingstoke show in the morning, so you never know the wallet may come out...

It's okay, I understand that Threatre boxes are expensive. If you want to talk more, my plan is to be helping Hornby Mag out at Basingstoke (actually there to design their signalling!), so you should be able to catch me there!

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Theatre boxes aren't exclusively used instead of feathers into terminal platforms, have a look at Salisbury on the latest track diagrams. Also the lines leaving are to two separate locations so junction indicators are appropriate on the starting signals. The design was to use the cheaper Eckon / Berco products simply to keep costs down ;)

Edited by PaulRhB

Hi,

I did go to the Basingstoke show this morning and met up with a few from on here.

I finally got to see Falcon Road TMD in the flesh and enjoyed seeing the progress on Portland. It is a lovely layout.

Bedore I even got into the exhibition I'd spent money doing a dodgy deal in the car park with Temeraire, but I do now have 4 cargowaggons. Once in the show I purchased a Bachmann 37 in speedlink livery for £40! In hindsight I should have bought a couple of others there too..

Anyway; here are a couple of pictures I promised.

37068 & 37114 wait for the road, to head around to the yard.

post-6849-0-61574200-1520693123_thumb.jpg

The 08 has an obvious issue and has been dumped in the siding at the depot, awaiting attention.

post-6849-0-94460800-1520693316_thumb.jpeg

I'll do some more when I get chance.

Edited by pitbull1845
  • Like 17

That looks good, plenty of play potential there.

Don’t ever apologise for having lots of ideas, we are creative geniuses like ...da Vinci ...so it’s not surprising we all have fertile imaginations ;)

Edited by rob D2
  • Like 2

Today has been one of those rare days where I have been home alone all day. Despite having numerous jobs to do at home I've spent the majority of the time in the garage.
Mainly doing little bits and pieces such as laying cable trunking, gluing footpaths down, spraying the track and working on the scenics.
I've got a NSE 159 that has been giving me some grief and tried to look at it again today but failed to get anywhere with it. I fitted an Express Models lighting kit into it but for the life of me cant get it to work, they just flash randomly. The thing also runs like a dog, so I've fallen out of love with it for the time being and dumped it in the depot. I need to see if the fitters at Leaford are available!

Off to work now so I'll leave you with the sleeper service.

post-6849-0-35231500-1521137195_thumb.jpg

Edited by pitbull1845
  • Like 15

Hi,

I w Portland last Saturday at Basingstoke, I was with Temeraire and the gang. I like your layout, but mine will never match yours on quality.. The scenic side of things is not my thing, I prefer operating the layout which is why I tend to rush/bodge the scenery. 

I did take a few pictures of your s, inspiration, in fact I think Ian asked you for the plans of the mail depot on my behalf! (tongue in cheek)  

I wasn't aware Oxford had planned to do the sleepers, maybe I'll consider an upgrade when they come out, if the get the colours right..

• Like 2

Scott,

Nice to see your layout and looking forward to seeing it take shape. Nice to see another layout in the Wessex region!

Looking forward to the updates. The 159's normally just need a good greasing around the motor gears. Works for me!

Thanks

Rhys

• 3 weeks later...

Morning,
Just a quick update to say that the layout is still alive! In fact it's come alive as I've just fitted a couple of TTS sound chips to a 47 and 37.   Not bad for just over £30 pound each. I except the quality is not as good as the big players in sound, but they work for me for the time being.
With the purchase of the sound chips, its freed up another chip, so the 33 is now operational too. The fleet is finally growing!

Layout wise, I've added a bit more of the retaining wall and tidied up in general, so the next phase will be the ballasting.

The other thing on the list is to renumber my shunter to 09025 "Victory". The transfers have arrived from Railtec and I hope to get that done this week.

I'll try and add some photos on my next update.

Have a good weekend

• Like 8