Gem ceased trading?

detheridge

Hi folks,

mods please remove this post if its in the wrong place, but:

I've just seen elsewhere that Gem/Lychett Manor models has creased trading.

Anyone know any more?

Update: It seems that it's through illness. Big opportunity for someone to take the Gem range over?

David.

Edited by detheridge

I think the writing had been on the wall there for some time.

When Lychett took over the brand from Harrowden a few years ago there were immediate complaints about a huge drop in quality, with a couple of kits being described as being so poor they werent worth buying.  Then, when kits suddenly became extremely difficult to obtain it was assumed production had been suspended so the quality issues could be addressed. 

Bit by bit it became apparent that the problem was somewhat more serious than that, with orders from retailers being unfulfilled, e-mails and phone calls chasing up those unfulfilled orders being unanswered and so on. Branchlines, for instance, were trying to get me a North London tank kit for a layout based on the Cromford and High Peak (A standard-gauge railway that is narrow-gauge at heart, if ever there was one!) that is now unlikely to ever get built because of the lack of the aforementioned NLR tank.  After a year of Mr Branchlines sadly shaking his head whenever I asked if contact had been made I gave up asking, and it must be well over another year since I gave up!

What, I wonder, are the chances of someone else taking over the range?  Hopefully not any of the notorious "Black Hole" manufacturers.

Edited by mike morley

I suspect in reality that some of the tooling was rather tired. Although the previous owner had developed some new tooling and replaced others, the slow sale rate of some items probably meant some tooling had been around since Roy Dock or even George E. Mellor's days

Vaughan

Edited by vaughan45

No!

I understand from the various comments made (a lot of which are on here) that the problems were with the extremely poor quality of the metal used and the complete lack of quality control.

Harrowden - the immediate predecessors - would have used the same moulds and masters and their products were reckoned to be the best ever in terms of quality - even better than the original GEM.

Sad. I have known GEM since it was old George Mellor at Rhos on Sea. GEM were always white metal casters. The "tooling" was vulcanised rubber moulds formed over brass patterns so if the quality deteriorated it could always be rectified by making another rubber mould from the original patterns. As long as the patterns exist the kit can continue.  In the days when white metal was "state of the art" good casters would renew the moulds when wear (burning out) became obvious. Nowadays I suspect that with diminishing sales it is less easy to justify the costs/effort in getting a new mould set out and vulcanised so quality could go down.

Many years ago I produced brass patterns for GEM in fact I produced the patterns for the NLR tank someone mentioned.

best wishes,

Ian

Sad news. I still have an unbuilt GEM Baldwin, complete with Grafar inside-framed 08 chassis for when/if I build it. I might do something with it one day but it shows how much 009 has changed even since I started about 10 years ago. I liked and extensively used the 009 loco detailing parts. I hope the range reappears at some point but with RTR, 3D printing and etching as well as plastic kits I wonder whether it would still be worth it.

No!

I understand from the various comments made (a lot of which are on here) that the problems were with the extremely poor quality of the metal used and the complete lack of quality control.

Harrowden - the immediate predecessors - would have used the same moulds and masters and their products were reckoned to be the best ever in terms of quality - even better than the original GEM.

I can only agree with you, the three locos I bought when they were produced in Bedford had cast whitemetal parts which were far better in quality than any earlier GEM model I have come across.

Certainly the etched chassis can be easily reproduced and reading the statement from Lychett it seems to me models will still be available via selected retailers, or have I got the wrong end of the stick ?

I think people still remember the horrible white metal from the olden days, grainy, brittle stuff it was. There is no excuse for using that stuff now, yes modern whitemetal for casting is more expensive but what price quality and therefore repeat orders....

Dave Franks.

I can only agree with you, the three locos I bought when they were produced in Bedford had cast whitemetal parts which were far better in quality than any earlier GEM model I have come across.

Certainly the etched chassis can be easily reproduced and reading the statement from Lychett it seems to me models will still be available via selected retailers, or have I got the wrong end of the stick ?

I interpreted it to mean that retailers with existing stock are still selling it but there won't be any new production, but I could be wrong.

As Matthew is not a member of RMweb he has asked me to point out that the 'closure' is NOT permanent, but only temporary until he gets his 'health issue' sorted out, so please could you be patient (?) while it all gets sorted out. :sungum: 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I read with interest these comments.  I have the patterns for all of the GEM kits from Terry Henson are there any you would like me to make available again 

Fred,

are these for the kits that GEM  have recently been producing and could start again? If so, what is the legal position on the intellectual property rights?

As I don't have any need for any GEM kits (I stopped using them many years ago) I have no personal interest but do wonder that would be an issue.

Jol

Hi

Terry still owns the business and has given me the rights to redo the range as and when I have time 

Graham

Fred,

are these for the kits that GEM  have recently been producing and could start again? If so, what is the legal position on the intellectual property rights?

As I don't have any need for any GEM kits (I stopped using them many years ago) I have no personal interest but do wonder that would be an issue.

Jol