Railworkers Survey - Fatigue and Risk

• RMweb Premium

All

A student at the University of Derby is conducting research  to explore the relationship between self-reported fatigue levels and characteristics of influential risk factors of workload, sleep quality and daily life events. Please see the details below.

Although I work at the University,  I have no connection with the student or her supervisor. I will let Lorna have a link to this topic but I would ask that you do not post comments here - if you work in the Rail Industry, please take part in the survey - if you are just a casual observer, then thanks for your interest, but this topic isn't for you . . . . . . . . 

Thanks for your support

A UK rail employee survey to explore the relationship between self-reported fatigue levels and characteristics of influential risk factors of workload, sleep quality and daily life events.

Dear Prospective Participant,

You are invited to take part in a short online questionnaire survey, which forms part of a Masters of Science in Ergonomics research project with the University of Derby Online Learning (UDOL), United Kingdom.  The closing date for receipt of completed online surveys will be the 30th April 2018.

The aim of this research project is to explore the relationship between self-reported levels of fatigue and its characteristics (such as physical, mental, general and motivation) with three influential risk factors. These are workload, quality of sleep and daily life events, such as marriage and starting a new job.

Your response will remain completely confidential throughout the study.  The survey is user friendly and easy to navigate through.  It should take approximately 15 minutes to complete and submit it. 

Please note that for ethical reasons as part of a Masters level research project, you must be aged 18 or over.

Thank you for your kind participation.

To begin the survey, simply click on the direct link below:

https://derby.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_6SeGHbagKuHOuON

Lorna Brock

Miss Lorna Brock, MSc student at University of Derby Online (UDOL)

Email:  l.brock2@unimail.derby.ac.uk

Supervisor:

Andrew Baird

Psychology

University of Derby

Kedleston Road

Derby

DE22 1GB

Email:  a.baird@derby.ac.uk

Office Tel:  00 44 (0)1332 593042

• RMweb Gold

I'm obviously not going to bother to complete it as I'm no longer active in the industry in any sort of full time or employed sense but it will be very interesting to compare the results (if they become available) with the various previous studies carried out, especially those done in the first half of the 1990s looking at the impact of rest intervals and shift duration & roster patterns which set the scene for many of the employment conditions which emerged as privatisation progressed in the UK.

• RMweb Premium

Isn't that what CIRAS is for? 

NO

As far as I can tell from their website CIRAS receive and investigate incidents on behalf of transport industries

CIRAS, the confidential incident reporting and analysis service, operating since 1996 and today delivering assurance for member organisations across the UK.

We offer a corporate safety net that ensures safety, health or other concerns are captured internally and with CIRAS help, investigated to a successful and satisfactory conclusion. We expertly facilitate a resolution. For members staff, we offer an alternative independent confidential reporting line, that staff can speak with us knowing their identity will never be shared.

Across industries we are working to exploit the opportunity to learn from such events and through our engagement programme, our newsletters and our website we will share any lessons learnt and actioned. CIRAS is open to all transport operators, infrastructure organisations and their supply chain.

The survey that Lorna has started is just one part of an independent student project - I don't have any details but the next part of the survey may well be a survey of airline pilots or doctors or any other occupation which has no connection to CIRAS.