Clifton009 Layout

Clifton009

Hi All,

After viewing all the great layouts on here for some time now (And getting loads of ideas!) I thought it was time I made the effort to join & start a thread. Unfortunately I started it about 2 weeks ago on the old RMweb site sad.gif and have only just managed to get back on it. So thought it best to start it again on this new site.

I??™ve been posting on NRM & NGRM for a while now, so I??™m sure some of you have already read my ramblings and seen some pictures of my layout.

I started my 009 layout in 2007 after an inspirational visit to the Ffestiniog railway in North Wales. I decided to build a layout! It??™s about 20 years since I had an N layout (Which is boxed in the loft at my parents!). I liked the idea of 009 as so much could be achieved in a small space and the lack of British RTR would mean kit building, which I enjoy and it would also stop me being lazy and just buying loads of RTR!

The layout currently consists of 2 main sections, which are 125cm x 68cm. There is also a small fiddle yard bolted to the right hand side of board 2 which is 35cm x 68cm (This is all the space I had available). The sections are constructed from 12mm ply on a timber frame. The sides & backboards also being 12mm ply.

I??™ve included a few pictures in each section. I will post more later.

Board 1

Board 1 includes Llanclifton station at the back, loco & carriage sheds. There are also a few houses, garage, timber merchants, weigh bridge and a small permanent way yard at the front next to Llanelland station. There is still work to do on this board.

LlancliftonOverview.jpg

LlanellandHighStreet.jpg

TelephoneWires3.jpg

WWBus.jpg

PWYard1.jpg

NewCarriageShedInSitu2.jpg

Board 2

Board 2 is work in progress. Nearly half of it is a slate mine. There is also a small coal yard, goods siding and Llanwyke station. There is a bit more scenery on board 2 than board 1.

Cutting1.jpg

CoalYard3.jpg

B2WallScenery.jpg

B2NewScenery1.jpg

B2NewScenery.jpg

Rolling Stock

The loco fleet stands at 6 steam & 2 diesel. 2 steam & 1 diesel are Roco RTR the rest are all kit built.

InvictaPrince.jpg

Locos534.jpg

Locos3.jpg

NickiFrankS.jpg

The carriage fleet stands at 12. 3 are Roco RTR the rest are all kit built.

NewTrainApr09.jpg

PrinceInStation.jpg

LocalCarriages.jpg

The goods wagon fleet stands at about 50. Most are kit built. There are some Roco RTR which are mainly for the slate mine.

GoodsVans456.jpg

LoadedGraniteWagons2.jpg

DieselSlateTrain.jpg

Hudson25to28.jpg

Although board 1 looks finished there are still plenty of little jobs to do. At the moment I'm adding more greenery and finishing the tunnel.

On board 2 I'm scratch building a footbridge and adding more scenery.

Footbridge.jpg

I also recently completed a new carriage shed to replace the existing one.

NewCarriageShedInSitu1.jpg

NewCarriageShedInSitu4.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

First update since I started this thread......

I have been working on more scratch built buildings.

Station building for Llanwyke.

B2StationBuilding1.jpg

B2StationBuilding.jpg

I wanted to make this a bit different to my other cratch built buildings so I have added a second storey just on the middle 3rd. The middle bit looks quite tall, but it's over all height is the same as my Metcalfe cottages. The upper storey is the same height as the lower one.

I added the roof sections and ridges to this last night. The next job will be to add the gutters and down pipes before painting comences.

Slate mine office.

SlateMineOffice.jpg

SlateMineOffice1.jpg

This is the 3rd and final building for the slate mine area.

Here is an over view of the slate mine in it's current state.

SlateMineOverview1.jpg

I have also been scratch building this foot bridge using matches.

B2FootBridge.jpg

B2FootBridge2.jpg

B2FootBridge1.jpg

The next job to do on this is the fencing and hand rails.

Hopefully more regular updates to follow.

It's coming on well Jason. Nice to see layouts in gauges other than standard gauge getting on here again.

Peter

Thanks Peter.

Here is some more progress on the board 2 station building......

Gutters, down pipes etc added and an initial coat of paint on the stone work & detailing.

B2StationBuilding2.jpg

B2StationBuilding3.jpg

I have also paved about another 3rd of the platform area, it seems a never ending task! Once the paving is done I will start the platform canopies. I already have all the bits ready and a rough design in my head!

Further Progress......

Board 1 - Llanclifton

I have only just realised that I have no fueling facilities for diesels at the Llanclifton depot rolleyes.gif

So I have added this:

FuelingPoint.jpg

FuelingPoint1.jpg

The diesel storage tank is a cut down version of the Wills oil tank - it's all I could find that was anywhere near what I needed. I cut about half off the length and also cut down the supporting stone work to reduce the height. The ladder was in my bits n pieces tub! The fueling pipe in between the 2 depot tracks is made from some of the pipework from the Wills oil tank kit and some plastic coated wire for the fuel hose. I tried to get a close up of the fuel pipe bit, but it was too blurred!

Board 2 - Llanwyke

I have finally completed all the paving on the Llanwyke station platforms biggrin.gif

CompletedPaving.jpg

CompletedPaving1.jpg

It's taken so long because I wanted to use individual slabs so there would be full slabs along the platform edges. I used the larger slabs from the Wills York Paving sheets. I have not yet decided whether to paint the paving shades of grey to give a slate effect as the station is close to the slate mine or stone coloured to match the station building. I made the station building and nearby supporting walls in stone rather than slate as I thought the board would look a bit dull if everything was grey! The slate mine area takes up a large proportion of the board and it is all grey, including the buildings. Any opinions on this appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

A fair bit of progress these last few days biggrin.gif

Board 1

I have bought a couple of forklift trucks - been looking for some for a while. One is for the goods area at Llanelland Station. I have weathered it a bit with grey paint.

Forklift.jpg

The other forklift has also been similarly weathered and is for the goods area at Llanwyke Station on board 2.

Board 2

Progress is steady on the footbridge, with the main fence planks and hand rails now added:

FootbridgeRails1.jpg

FootbridgeRails2.jpg

FootbridgeRails.jpg

Some fencing and a small ground signal box added to the station area:

StationFencing.jpg

B2SignalBox.jpg

The station platform paving has now had an initial coat of grey paint:

PaintedPlatforms.jpg

I have also been making the main frames for the station and goods canopies. These can be seen here in position.

StationCanopyFrame.jpg

GoodsCanopyFrame.jpg

There will also be a small canopy on the road side of the station building.

Guest 009matt

Really like your layout, particularly that shot down the cutting with the slate either side. Don't know why, but it just has captured the feel with all that slate and 2 rusty rails close together keep up the good work

Matt

Thanks for the comments. I was pleased with the way the cutting turned out.

I have finally finished the initial ground cover on the Llanwyke slate mine area:

Left hand side view.

GroundCover.jpg

Right hand side view.

GroundCover1.jpg

Here are the wagons for the slate mine:

Flat wagons for bringing the large slabs of slate from the mine.

LoadedFlatwagons.jpg

Open wagons for general movement of slate.

LoadedOpenWagons.jpg

U tip wagons for removing the waste slate from the mine.

LoadedUTipWagons.jpg

Slate wagons for taking away the finished slate.

LoadedSlateWagons.jpg

Next job is to detail & weather the buildings.

That slate mine looks amazing icon_wow.gif , given me ideas for another extesion to my layout, or better yet a standalone part to it.

Thanks mega_mort.

I think that the slate mine fits well with my narrow gauge / Welsh theme.

It's been relatively cheap to make as well. The base is mainly made from old polystyrene packaging, newspaper, a ??5 sack of slate chippings from my local builders merchant biggrin.gif and of course some paint.

• 2 weeks later...

First Update for a few weeks??¦??¦

I have scratch built this water tower for the Llanwyke Station area on board 2. It??™s about 60mm high.

B2WaterTower.jpg

B2WaterTower1.jpg

B2WaterTower2.jpg

I tend to have a lot of odds n ends, off cuts etc ( I never throw anything away!!). So thought I would put some of them to good use!

The water tower frame is mainly made from Plastruct. I also used some brass wire and sprues. The water tank is made from spare sections I had left over from a Wills Vari-Girder bridge. The ladder is also Plastruct.

Next job is to paint it.

I've an inkling I've seen this before somewhere...

A lovely 009 layout- I don't see many of them personally, and I do LOVE narrow gauge lines, there's just something about them...

Great work and a lot of interesting detail

Thanks Preservation Modeller.

The full story from Day 1 is on New Railway Modellers. It's also on Narrow Gauge Railway Modelling (April 2008 onwards). Both of these forums have 2 threads on, 1 for each of the 2 boards. As board 1 Llanclifton is largely complete I thought it best to have 1 thread here on RMweb and just summarise board 1. Most of the current progress is on board 2 Llanwyke. I still keep adding a few details to board 1 Llanclifton though.

Here is my progress with the water tower.

It's now been given a coat of paint and a water gauge has been added.

B2WaterTower4.jpg

B2WaterTower5.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

First update for a while as I've had trouble getting on here.

I have now made some progress with both the goods and station canopies at Llanwyke.

The roof is Wills sheet, the legs Plastruct, the valencing is Ratio and the wooden bits on the ends are made from matches. The canopy is approx 400mm (10ft) high.The station canopy legs need levelling a bit, but on the whole it sits quite well considering the platform is slightly uneven due to the slabs I used.

Goods Canopy:

GoodsCanopy.jpg

GoodsCanopy1.jpg

Platform Canopies

MainPlatformCanopy.jpg

MainPlatformCanopy2.jpg

MainPlatformCanopy1.jpg

Station Entrance Canopy:

SmallCanopy.jpg

This will be glazed after painting.

I have also weathered the rest of the board 2 ballast. I just need to lightly add some black (Oil) to areas where the locos will stand:

WeatheredTrack.jpg

The Langley sheep are now completed and located in their field:

Sheep.jpg

I painted them then weathered them a bit with Carr??™s powders.

The Langley gantry crane is now completed and in position at Llanclifton shed:

GantryCrane1.jpg

GantryCrane.jpg

The station & goods canopies after a couple of coats of paint:

PaintedCanopy.jpg

PaintedCanopy4.jpg

PaintedCanopy3.jpg

PaintedCanopy2.jpg

B2Overview230110.jpg

I have also added additional supports at the end of each platform canopy since these pictures were taken.

The footbridge has now been painted:

PaintedFootbridge1.jpg

PaintedFootbridge2.jpg

PaintedFootbridge3.jpg

PaintedFootbridge4.jpg

PaintedFootbridge.jpg

The street scenes with their everyday features add real depth and sense of location. You feel you could walk down one of those roads, help the lady cross the road then carry on home for tea. I like the way the slate mine has all its colour toned right down, in contrast to the passenger station where it seems people are working hard to make it as attractive a place as possible.

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Steve.

I'm making the station & right hand side of the board a bit more colourful than the slate mine area. I thought the whole board would look a bit drab if it was all done the same as the slate mine area! Theres almost a divide created by the stone wall across the middle!

I have made some progress with the scenery in the front right hand corner of board 2. The highland cows now have a home! I just need to make some trees to finish this area off.

B2Scenic1.jpg

B2Scenic3.jpg

There is now a small lay-by in front of the occupation bridge.

B2Scenic4.jpg

The goods canopy is now glued in position. I have also arranged some goods on the platform. It just needs some people now.

GoodsAreaOverview.jpg

GoodsArea.jpg

GoodsPlatform1.jpg

I had some traffic lights spare from a Preiser sign pack, so decided to put them outside the mine entrance.

TrafficLights1.jpg

TrafficLights.jpg

Archived