Help identifying 1970s models

ellocoloco

Hi

I wonder if any members would be able to identify these two items of rolling stock?

From what I remember, they were given to me around 1975. I don't remember any other wagons or locomotives, and they were in a similar condition to the photos when I got them.

The coach has 'Made in Japan' underneath. The tender has no additional information. Wheels are plastic with horrible large flanges and oversize UK type couplings are moulded with the bogies.

Thanks in advance.

post-32168-0-48956400-1520780487_thumb.jpg

post-32168-0-30181500-1520780503_thumb.jpg

Well W&ARR stands for Western and Atlantic, a US railroad made famous by the locomotive "General" along with its historical significance.

Im assuming this was a General trainset. I havent a clue what manufacturer it could be though. And from the date, it probably wasnt a particularly good model.

The coach is a nasty bastardization of what is called an Overland coach in the US. Wooden construction, open air ends, made for ground level platforming, etc. In modelling circles, the term Overton refers to a shorter version of an overland coach, even though I believe they never actually existed.

Thank you Spitfire for your thoughts.

I forgot to mention that the coach is also lettered for the Western and Atlantic RR (in black strip below roof), they both run on 16.5mm track, code 100 surprisingly, and although I acquired them in the 1970s, I suspect they are much older. I was aware of W&ARR and The General and had wondered if the models had any link in with the 1956 Disney film..............

I'm sure in time someone will know.

Thank you.

That's my curiosity satisfied for this month......once you identified the brand, there are more pictures out there and a video on youtube......

The loco looks as bad as the coaches.......still I had great fun as a child adding them on to my Hornby trains.