Class 116 diesel multiple units

chrisf

Regarding 116 set formations, between us all we must have a decent set of ABC equivalents, particularly the RCTS and Platform 5 books which gave a picture of the formations from the 1970s. And Ian Allan books joined in later, after seeing the popularity of Platform 5. 

I'm sure that we could produce a pretty good set of formation lists combining info from as many of those publications as possible. 

• RMweb Gold

Regarding 116 set formations, between us all we must have a decent set of ABC equivalents, particularly the RCTS and Platform 5 books which gave a picture of the formations from the 1970s. And Ian Allan books joined in later, after seeing the popularity of Platform 5.

I'm sure that we could produce a pretty good set of formation lists combining info from as many of those publications as possible.

Good idea.

On formations and the RCTS books:

1976 book: lists only WR formations, "as renumbered in 1976", but the main listings for everything are arranged in "as ordered" formations, even where those formations had long since been broken up.

1978 book: lists only WR formations

1980 book: lists only WR formations

1981 book: lists WR formations and newly-formed ScR formations with 6-digit class number sets, e.g. 101 301 for the first class 101.

1982 book: lists WR formations and ScR formations with 6-digit class number sets, e.g. 101 301 for the first class 101.

Yes.  From mid 1956 to mid 1959 the livery applied to dmus was the lighter green which I call "almost-but-not-quite-malachite" so all the 116s should have come out in it.  Needless to say nothing is quite so simple.  I caution against relying too much on colour photographs because of the characteristics of whichever slide film was used and what the printing process can do to perfectly exposed images.  That said, one colour album in my collection has a photo of a 3 car 116 with the trailer a distinctly different shade of green from the power cars.  Chris Leigh reckons that Dapol have got the shade as near as dammit right.  When he made a 116 from a Lima 117 over 30 years ago he used Gloy enamel which looked spot on to me and which I bet is no longer made.

Chris

I still have that 116. In fact I may have obtained a Hornby 121 chassis so that I can convert it to DCC (can't remember off-hand although I've certainly converted my 120 by doing that). I can recall units in which there were two or even three different colours. The early  abnq-malachite faded badly and looked shabby quite quickly. I've not seen Gloy paint in many years (I guess I must have mentioned it in an article, as I've long since forgotten it). My 116 was based on a two-car formation that I rode from Newbury to Savernake LL in about 1965. I'll see if I can find the photo. (CJL)

• Like 2

Episode 2 continued

We now deal with Bristol.  13 pairs of power cars and 11 trailers were delivered between July and November 1958 and given numbers in the BL3xx series. Their diagrams were kept strictly separate from those for the Cross-Country units though the balance between the two types of set shifted towards the Cross-Country sets as time went by.

The summer 1959 carriage workings and those for summer 1961 both list five diagrams for three car sets, three for two car sets and two for “three car sets with additional trailer”.  It follows that it must have been difficult to maintain set formations.  The diagrams for winter 1961-62 make no mention of four car sets but show nine diagrams for three car sets and one for a power twin.  51135+51148 were mentioned in despatches formed with two trailers, neither of which was the original, and were photographed working with single power car 55018 by Trevor Owen near Twyford, not exactly in the admittedly extensive Bristol Division, on 2nd May 1959 forming an emergency local service following the derailment of the up Pembroke Coast Express at Slough the previous evening which destroyed about half a mile of the up main.  Much later, 51137+51150 had their seating removed and were deployed on an overnight express parcels service between Bristol and Hayes & Harlington with two GUVs marshalled between them.

In about June 1961 Bristol power cars 51132/9/40 and 51145/52/3 were exchanged with Cardiff Canton’s 50859/60/1 and 50912/3/4 and were formed with the three second class only trailers mentioned earlier, working out of Newport until the Eastern and Western Valleys lost their passenger services as from 30th April 1962.  What happened to them then belongs in the Migration section.

In the spring of 1962 there were drastic cuts in off-peak rail services around Bristol.  It was known when the dmus were ordered that they would face intense competition from local bus services and it had become clear that they had made insufficient difference to revenue after four years for the level of service to be justified.  Bristol was not the only area to suffer service reductions.  South Wales, as will be shown, was particularly badly hit.

That, I think [i hope!!], concludes Episode 2.  Before embarking on the Migration section there are some matters arising with which I will deal next.

Chris

• Like 2

Episode 2 continued

We now deal with Bristol.  13 pairs of power cars and 11 trailers were delivered between July and November 1958 and given numbers in the BL3xx series. Their diagrams were kept strictly separate from those for the Cross-Country units though the balance between the two types of set shifted towards the Cross-Country sets as time went by.

Much later, 51137+51150 had their seating removed and were deployed on an overnight express parcels service between Bristol and Hayes & Harlington with two GUVs marshalled between them.

Chris

W51137 seen here at Bristol c1970

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/34287446490/in/photolist-UeS8hw-a8Hu5X-6BgxAE-dqfn2c-dHfgw5-8iMgwc-do4rGX-bvAZWv-dsKcHn-rsHkWS-8VBn7G-5QbbHL-fb1yqQ-hfteYa-9WHxau-a1UJ5K-aZgcGc-4v7Yzr-dFMKWN-qSw4cp-drxpt9-TZf3Wg-ecJbff-AFttm-dLixay-qDCjms-4Je8Mi-YbvmfA-qPcMwW-oTh9SL-T1tLVu-UNKxiK-9577fN-qC7UXV-q2u6iY-7XzW8p-C8xwto-kKUHTj-RDpo9d-iHkzpj-jzPRQG-rv32eS-mjSjNN-e7cESt-21diZSV-ocFvCa-7XzTLK-EwHGvW-9BAZn3-9RiFFZ

cheers

• Like 6

116 at Calne a few weeks before it closed, so summer 1965. I took no details. I guess this was one of the Bristol allocation and all three cars were matching. Didn't travel on this occasion but on previous visits the branch train had been a 120 and second visit, a 119 on which the driver invited me into the cab as far as the black bridge at Chippenham (didn't want the signalman to see me). (CJL)

post-1062-0-06515200-1521116869_thumb.jpg

Edited by dibber25
  • Like 17

This is going to be one of those days.  I started typing a reply and it disappeared, so apologies in advance for any more bad language.

There are some matters arising with which to deal.  The first is allocation records and I thank Mike Stationmaster for his helfpful contribution.  I do not know when the Western Region started producing official lists but I found one dated June 1962 buried deep in www.railcar.co.uk, itself an invaluable resource.  Phil Bullock will be interested to learn that his beloved 50079 is shown in a July supplement to that list as moving from Cathays to Tyseley with 59351 and 50121.  That came as a surprise because I had previously supposed that those cars had not returned to Cardiff after being sent on loan to Reading during the London emergency of 1959.  The story of that will be a good read, I hope.  Caradoc mentioned 50083, orphaned after the Pontrhydyfen crash.  That celebrity was at Bristol by then.  I ought to hold fire on saying any more about that for the time being because with any luck part of its story will appear in a magazine in the not too distant future.  Sorry for the suspense!

Befofe the spotting-type books started to publish set formations in the 1970s we had only the Railway Observer on which to rely.   Even so, at times it was like trying to fit together pieces of a jigsaw which were all the same shape and size.  As far as allocations were concerned, these started being published properly in the RO only at the beginning of 1965.  In the two years or so before that the RO needed the space for continuing coverage of closures and we never know quite what went unrecorded. Now we have at least two books to help us with allocations.  Jim Grindlay of ModelMaster fame has published a handy A5 book in the series "British Railways Motive Power Allocations 1948-1968", volume 7 dealing with dmus.  This gives snapshots for the years 1959, 1962, 1965, 1966, 1967 and 1968.   Roger Harris's self-published three volume set "The allocation history of British Railways diesel multiple-units" sets out to give the allocation history and subsequent disposal of each and every dmu car.  To a considerable extent it succeeds but even Mr Harris did not spot everything.  On the other hand, he noted many moves of which I had been unaware.

Johnster mentions the fitting of gangways to the South Wales sets.  I did not recall this occurring as early as 1964 but if it did begin then it was done extremely slowly!  The earliest mention in print that I can find is the RO for October 1968, which listed the nine sets then equipped.  As the job was done when each set went through shops it took the best part of two years to complete.  Conductor-guard working could not be introduced until it was.  Johnster also mentioned lining.  Now my understanding is that the 116s bedecked in almost-but-not-quite-malachite were not lined until the lighter green was replaced by the darker shade.  Does anyone have a photograph to shed further light?  On the subjet of photographs, many thanks to Chris Leigh for the image of the rail blue set at Calne.  One result of dmu operation was that the days of the same set shuttling to and fro on the branch were gone: if I have read the diagrams properly up to five different serts were used on the Calne branch in one day.

Pteremy mentions the hybrid sets used in the West Country.  We'll get to those, I promise.  We ought also to cover the spread of dmu operations beyond its originally defined areas.  Logic dictates that we first define those areas.  Rod, meet back.

Finally for now, please go easy on the wish listing!

Chris

• Like 1

I did wonder if the picture at Calne #34, was of the unit in Rail Blue, but then thought the date of 1965 made this unlikely. A mystery, but perhaps there's colour shift on the picture to turn the green a bit blue?

There's also a mark on the lower bodyside of the first unit, which might be a BR roundel, perhaps Mr Leigh could enlighten us please.

John.

• RMweb Gold

Johnster mentions the fitting of gangways to the South Wales sets.  I did not recall this occurring as early as 1964 but if it did begin then it was done extremely slowly!  The earliest mention in print that I can find is the RO for October 1968, which listed the nine sets then equipped.  As the job was done when each set went through shops it took the best part of two years to complete.  Conductor-guard working could not be introduced until it was.  Johnster also mentioned lining.  Now my understanding is that the 116s bedecked in almost-but-not-quite-malachite were not lined until the lighter green was replaced by the darker shade.  Does anyone have a photograph to shed further light?  On the subjet of photographs, many thanks to Chris Leigh for the image of the rail blue set at Calne.  One result of dmu operation was that the days of the same set shuttling to and fro on the branch were gone: if I have read the diagrams properly up to five different serts were used on the Calne branch in one day.

Finally for now, please go easy on the wish listing!

Chris

There were very definitely sets running around on the Cardiff Valleys as late 1967 without gangways.  I cannot recall any 116 units I saw appearing with lining in their original green livery.

John Tomlinson is quite right about the Calne picture.  On looking at it again the unit is more green than blue and there is a mark on the leading coach which is in the right place for a roundel.  I have been going through my ROs this afternoon and there appear to be no reports of dmus receiving rail blue before autumn 1966.  This is not to say that none did but that there are no reports.

What I did find was a report of the last night of the Calne branch.  It was a 3 car 116, 51134+59444+51147, driven by Mr Frank Cannon.  Don't expect detail like that every time!

Chris

• RMweb Premium

I did wonder if the picture at Calne #34, was of the unit in Rail Blue, but then thought the date of 1965 made this unlikely. A mystery, but perhaps there's colour shift on the picture to turn the green a bit blue?

There's also a mark on the lower bodyside of the first unit, which might be a BR roundel, perhaps Mr Leigh could enlighten us please.

John.

There doesn't seem to be any white arrows, which would also support it being in green livery.

(slight edit for clarity)

Edited by keefer

• RMweb Gold

I would agree with this assessment; the Calne unit is in green livery with white cab roofs, and I would expect if to be in lined 'bottle' green at this date, but it is pretty dirty, so I would not like to nail my flag to that particular mast!

Canton's last non-gangwayed set was 338, comprising W50852, W59360, W50905 which was transferred to the Scottish Region, Hamilton depot mid-1969, still minus gangways.

Brian, I've got it going to Hamilton in May '69.  Good to have you on board!

Chris

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I've had a look through my old Snow Hill photos for liveries 1964-67 and all 116s, and a 122, appear to be in lined green with SYP at that time. The only exception I noticed was a Met Cam at Leamington with the front coach in Blue SYP / red buffer beam and the rest of the set in lined dark green

An interesting shot taken at Penarth, care of and copyright of Bob Masterman.

A Rhymney - Penarth service connects with a Penarth - Cadoxton shuttle.

We can date the image, as it was taken after the bufferstops were installed, seperating the two roads in the by now only platform and before the withdrawal of the Penarth - Cadoxton service.

( Hidden behind the DMU sets, a through road still allowed access to the Penarth - Biglis/Cadoxton section in order for trip freights to reach the cement works at Lower Penarth, in fact Bob snapped the Cl.08 shunter on this working, from another the Cl.116 set parked in this platform, but with a Cl.121 unit on the Cadoxton working)

The TC in this image appears to be W59375, which accordfing to my notes should (under normal circumstances) make the MBS W50867, and the (hidden) MS W50920.

Note the TC doesn't appear to have  bodyside lining, whereas the MBS does - so, could this set be misformed (rare for a Canton unit !).

In addition, at the time Cl.121 Pressed Steel units were a more common sight on the Penarth - Cadoxton service than the Cl.122 Gloucester units, but not unique.

Brian R

post-1599-0-95047500-1521372290_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Another interesting 'livery' shot this time taken at Cardiff Queen Street, care of and copyright of Robert Masterman

Bob recalls this as being the last Cl.116 unit he photographed with 'whiskers' and his notes date this shot as Saturday, 12th. March, 1966.

Those same notes state the set comprised W51138+W59448+W51151.

Brian R

post-1599-0-42192700-1521374727_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

The R.O. reported "Railair Express Parcels" unit, W51137+W86572+W86174+W51150  standing at Newton Abbot on 24th. September, 1969.

It was believed the conversion had been carried out at Newton Abbot wagon works, and the set departed for Bristol soon after. 

The "Railair Express Parcels" service was due to commence on 6th. October, 1969 and the following diagram applied

20:55hrs Bristol Temple Meads - Hayes arr. 23:12hrs

01:55hrs Hayes - Bristol Temple Meads arr. 04:05hrs.

The service was fed at Bristol, by workings from Swansea / Gloucester and Plymouth and similarly parcels from Heathrow airport were distributed by services radiating from Temple Meads to Plymouth, Gloucester and Swansea.

It was claimed a parcel checked in late afternoon at Paris could be collected from Swansea High St. from 10:00hrs the following morning.

BR (WR) saw the "Railair Express Parcels" Cl.116 very much as an experiment, hoping it would lead to a nightly, loco hauled 12 van train.

By the 1971-1972 WTT the diagram was running as shown below;

4A71 21:45hrs Britsol Temple Meads - Hayes arr.

4B23 01:55hrs Hayes - Bristol Temple Meads arr.04:05hrs.

One of the power cars eventually suffered fire damage and after a few months in storage at Bristol, the remaining cars were re-allocated to the London Division, where the two wired GUV vans were used with the single parcels units and other converted Cl.116 power cars.

The letters spelling  "air"  were removed from the brand  "Railair Express Parcels" to read "Rail    Express Parcels" instead, after transfer to the London area.

My photo below shows what was a common London area 'lash-up' at Reading during the summer of 1975. As well as the DPV, we have one of the two wired GUV vans followed by a Cl.116 Motor Second and trailled by a SR van. The gap in the lettering ( mentioned above ) on the GUV is apparent.

Brian R.

post-1599-0-58339800-1521404695_thumb.jpg

Edited by br2975
  • Like 9

Brian, I've got it going to Hamilton in May '69.  Good to have you on board!

Chris

Chris,

I have details of the 66C Hamilton West allocated, former WR sets, as at May 1969.

I will refrain from posting until you reach that point in the history of the class, or if you already have that info, and intend to post it yourself at that future point ?

Regards

Brian R

The R.O. reported "Railair Express Parcels" unit, W51137+W86572+W86174+W51150  standing at Newton Abbot on 24th. September, 1969.

It was believed the conversion had been carried out at Newton Abbot wagon works, and the set departed for Bristol soon after. 

The "Railair Express Parcels" service was due to commence on 6th. October, 1969 and the following diagram applied

20:55hrs Bristol Temple Meads - Hayes arr. 23:12hrs

01:55hrs Hayes - Bristol Temple Meads arr. 04:05hrs.

The service was fed at Bristol, by workings from Swansea / Gloucester and Plymouth and similarly parcels from Heathrow airport were distributed by services radiating from Temple Meads to Plymouth, Gloucester and Swansea.

It was claimed a parcel checked in late afternoon at Paris could be collected from Swansea High St. from 10:00hrs the following morning.

BR (WR) saw the "Railair Express Parcels" Cl.116 very much as an experiment, hoping it would lead to a nightly, loco hauled 12 van train.

By the 1971-1972 WTT the diagram was running as shown below;

4A71 21:45hrs Britsol Temple Meads - Hayes arr.

4B23 01:55hrs Hayes - Bristol Temple Meads arr.04:05hrs.

Brian R.

Well I can not find it again, but some time ago I remember seeing a photo on Flickr(?) taken at Bristol West Depot, or South Liberty,

and, although the caption did not mention it, I was sure it was the DMU/GUV/GUV/DMU formation,  

cheers

Evening all, with many thanks to Brian and others who have posted today.  If I may say so, I think that Mr Masterman's images enhance the thread.

51138+59448+51151 left Bristol around June 1965 and became CAT353.  59375 is going to be problematic.  My first thought is that it is a misformation.  My incomplete spreadsheet has an entry for 50868+59375+50918 and also one for 50868+59365+50918.  I must have been distracted at some stage for there are as yet no further clues.  I do recall that 50918 and 50921 exchanged places whilst at Laira so that is where I shall look for clues when I have a minute.

Brian, I do plan to deal with the sets that went to Hamilton and indeed to other far flung places.  I hope to start on Migration soon but I want to cover the services worked by 116s when first unleashed on particular areas.  That said, I am heartened by the level of interest thus far and welcome all useful contributions!

Beauty sleep calls.  One day it will work.

Chris 

• Like 5