12-wheel Pullmans

Black Marlin

Hi all

I've come across a couple of pictures, like this one, showing LNER locomotives hauling modelably-short trains of 12-wheel Pullman cars. Can anybody tell me what kind of Pullmans they are and whether they are available as models? I'm aware Hornby did some 12-wheel cars but they were flat-panelled while these don't seem to be. Are there suitable kits?

Regards,
Gavin

• RMweb Gold

Someone will probably put me right on this, but I think the photo is the West Riding Pullman and there are a mixture of 12-wheel and 8-wheel matchboard panelled cars.  If you can find them, the 12-wheel cars produced by Hornby in 2011 would be suitable.  Some of them were produced with matchboard sides.  The photo is from 1927 though and the cars are in the earlier livery with white/cream above the windows and not the slightly later livery with brown above the windows modelled by Hornby.

Antony Ford's series of books on the Pullmans are good.

• Agree 1

Someone will probably put me right on this, but I think the photo is the West Riding Pullman and there are a mixture of 12-wheel and 8-wheel matchboard panelled cars.  If you can find them, the 12-wheel cars produced by Hornby in 2011 would be suitable.  Some of them were produced with matchboard sides.  The photo is from 1927 though and the cars are in the earlier livery with white/cream above the windows and not the slightly later livery with brown above the windows modelled by Hornby.

Antony Ford's series of books on the Pullmans are good.

Yes. I think some of them moved to the Southern when they were replaced by the Steel K Class Pullmans in 1928 and they are the type that Hornby made. I'll have a look in the Oakwood book later and try to find the details. Pullman history is complicated to say the least.

Jason

Yes. I think some of them moved to the Southern when they were replaced by the Steel K Class Pullmans in 1928 and they are the type that Hornby made. I'll have a look in the Oakwood book later and try to find the details. Pullman history is complicated to say the least.

Jason

Antony Ford's Volume 1 will give you chapter and verse : http://www.crecy.co.uk/pullman-profile-no.1

Hi all

I've come across a couple of pictures, like this one, showing LNER locomotives hauling modelably-short trains of 12-wheel Pullman cars. Can anybody tell me what kind of Pullmans they are and whether they are available as models? I'm aware Hornby did some 12-wheel cars but they were flat-panelled while these don't seem to be. Are there suitable kits?

Regards,

Gavin

Do you have your "panelled" and "plated" mixed up?

The 12-wheelers were of wooden construction and the sides wood-"panelled". A few were later flush-"plated" with metal  - some on just the upper half, a few overall.

The Hornby 12-wheelers introduced 2009 were in original wood- panelled condition with the exception of Car 95, a Brake, which was in flush-plated condition.

As far as I can see all subsequent Hornby 12-wheelers have been in original wood-panelled condition.

Edited by Forester

But by my little knowledge they were phased out by the mid-late thirties, I think, don't quote me on that. 

Otherwise, try on Tony Wrights thread, there are normally a good bunch of modelers regularly commenting that can usually help out with anything. Its like a permanent online railway encyclopedia. 

• 5 years later...