Emco Unimat SL Lathe

Hello Folks,

I've recently acquired subject lathe S/H, it doesn't appear to have had a lot of use - indeed it has all its original packaging, but.....

There seems to be a lot of backlash in the crossfeed screw; is this normal?

If not, what might be the problem?

How can I repair it?

Is it an 'arm and a leg' job?

Lots of questions, but RMWebbers have a habit of coming up with the answers.

Thanks in anticipation,

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Andy

Having used the club version of your lathe, it also has a lot of back lash in the cross head feed, considerably more than my Warco WM250 at home. You should be able to adjust some of it out, the manual should say how. However I have turned small bar stock quite happily on the club version to within a couple of thou with no real effort, what was more annoying was that the dials on the feed handles of ours is in weird divisions making it clunky to use. Best thing is to create some swarf and see if you have a real or perceived problem.

Good Luck 

• Thanks 1

Join the unimat group on yahoo, you can get some handy manuals, files and information there.

Mine has a fair bit of backlash too, but the limiting factor in anything I do is more likely skill based than machine error

• Thanks 1

A lot of backlash can be lived with. Just ensure that if you have to wind out, you do so far enough to get through the backlash before winding back in again. Trying too hard to get rid of it might lead to early wear on the screw and nut.

• Thanks 1

• 3 years later...

I expect you sorted this backlash problem ages ago.

It is very simple to adjust.  Loosen the nut in the centre of the handwheel turn the hand wheel clockwise until it takes up the slack, but doesn't make it too tight to turn. Then holding the h/wheel tighten the centre nut.  I often check everything on mine. 

My Unimat 3 will for sale soon.

Rob

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, RobMG said:

I expect you sorted this backlash problem ages ago.

It is very simple to adjust.  Loosen the nut in the centre of the handwheel turn the hand wheel clockwise until it takes up the slack, but doesn't make it too tight to turn. Then holding the h/wheel tighten the centre nut.  I often check everything on mine. 

My Unimat 3 will for sale soon.

Rob

For a whole host of reasons, I haven't even used it yet. :(

Apologies also for not thanking earlier respondents - now sorted.