Fate of the Peloponnese metre gauge system?

fezza

Does anyone know anything about future plans for the remaining metre gauge Peloponnese network?  A couple of years ago there were still railtours and talk of reactivating the system.  Anyone know if there are any planned railtours or charters that one can join?

It all seems very odd. Between 2005-2010 massive amounts of money were spent on track improvements and new rolling stock and then the whole system was closed.  When I was there last summer brand new rolling stock was sitting there on freshly ballasted track...  I know Greece has problems but I'm not sure how closing down the railway network will help the tourist economy.

It is probably the greatest narrow gauge network left in Europe - but it seems to be slipping away almost unnoticed.

• Like 1

It seems like the whole system has been moth-balled.  There were plans to extend the standard gauge from Piraeus beyond Klato and between Korinthos and Nafplio, but it seems that no progress has been made since the crisis.

Out of interest, where is the new stock to be found?

[Edit] While in the area, it is perhaps worth adding that Google Streetview has coverage of tracks around Diakopto and Kalavrita stations and paths along the 750mm gauge line.  Unlike their camera cars, the images appear to have been taken on foot - a guy with a blue top and rucksack appears on most of the images around Diakopto.

Edited by EddieB
  • Informative/Useful 1

Patras although a Greek friend has noted stock near Olympia where there was apparently stock movement and possibly even a public service at some point last year. Someone else told me most of the new units are now stored near Athens but haven't seen photographic evidence.

The Nafplio section was very recently relaid (metre gauge of course) and is in generally good condition. Couple of bridges have been damaged by a storm but nothing serious.

From what I can tell (it seems few British enthusiasts are visiting Greece these days), the only bits of the Peloponnese metre gauge system operating a passenger service are::

- Katakolo - Pirgos - Olympia (one through return train to Katakolo, two return trains from Pirgos, possibly more in Summer/meeting cruise ships); and

- A "suburban" service that runs between the various stations in Patras (hourly between Agios Andreas and Agios Vasileios).

The 750mm gauge rack line between Diakopto and Kalavrita has an advertised service of three return trips on weekdays, five at weekends.  

If the dates on Google Earth are accurate, it would appear that some of the metre gauge diesel fleet is still scattered around the system - Patras, Pirgos, Kalamata.  Whether it sees any action - I'm about to find out (next month).

• Like 1

It's been a long year since I was last in the Peloponnese but when I was last there (near Nafplio), everything still looked to be in it's mothballed state.

I understand that FS has subsequently purchased the Greek network (https://www.railjournal.com/index.php/financial/greece-concludes-sale-of-trainose-to-fs.html) but I don't know what their plans if any, are regarding the metre gauge network. According to this:

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/business/single-view/view/railway-supply-industry-news-round-up-73.html

they are evaluating their recent purchase of the rolling stock company, presumably, this includes metre gauge stock?

Fingers crossed tightly.

Enjoy your trip, Eddie, I hope you may have something to report.

Cheers,

John.

Edited for bad link but still no joy.

Edited by Allegheny1600

Some interesting stuff there, John - and a few "leads" to follow up.  Greece does appear to have dropped off the radar recently, however - I note that the last post on the Greek Rail Group is from 2016!

When you visited Napflio the other year, were you able to check out the position at Mili?  It seems likely that the mouldering steam locos are still there - but I've also seen pictures of them being joined by what remains of Alsthom diesels 9201 and 9207.  

The longevity of some dumped locomotives is incredible!

• Like 1

Hi Eddie,

We did take a run through Milli by hire car but sadly, I didn't notice much of the storage situation there, sorry.

If my memory serves, everything looked the same as it had done in previous years and the only thing I actually noticed was the line of yellow low hopper (ballast) wagons parked up near the station.

Thankfully, the fairly dry atmosphere does a decent job of preserving stock, maybe even the constant tagging of stock parked/stored in places like the public park (the original station) in Nafplio helps too? Rather disgustingly, the use of the interior of old coaches and railcars as a public toilet, does not however! Ugh!

Cheers,

John.

Nothing specific to Peloponnesian metre gauge here but certainly plenty of infrastructure projects heading towards completion, apparently.

http://www.ypodomes.com/index.php/special-editions/news-in-english/item/45928-thirty-important-infrastructure-projects-all-over-greece-expected-to-be-completed-in-2018

An interesting Greek site with (thankfully) a reasonable English language section. I for one can read very little of the Greek language!

Having a Google around Piraeus and the former SPAP depot near Lefka, I was surprised to find the active steam rack loco Dk 8.001 and one of the tourist carriages visible on Streetview (dated July 2014):

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@37.9534474,23.6529473,3a,75y,323.03h,92.17t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sBvjAJCd7aK1zmkR_pMG73A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

The loco and carriage should have been returned to Kalavrita since then.  

Also at Lefka, the metre gauge roundhouse has a derelict steam loco visible.  I assume this must be Da 7.108, last reported (but has since disappeared) from Korinthos, and previously seen at Agios Anarghiri in Athens.  The depot has some standard gauge locos allocated, and should also have some other "stored" mete gauge steam.

• 1 month later...

An update on previous posts, but essentially a confirmation of the situation previously identified.

The only sections of the Peloponnese metre gauge seeing regular timetabled services are Patras (an hourly suburban service connecting Agios Vasilios and Agios Andreas) and the "tourist line" between Katakolo-Pirghos-Olympia, both of which are worked by 4301/4401/4501 dmu sets dating from 2004.  Here is an unidentified unit (thanks to the ever prevalent graffiti) at Patras earlier this month.

post-10122-0-15695500-1524832563_thumb.jpg

Tracks remain in place over most of the system (where it could be observed) and it appears that at least some locomotives remain in an operational state for works trains.  I did not see any newer metre gauge stock than the dmu sets, but lack of time precluded any attempt to visit the depot at Patras.

In the meantime, standard gauge trains provide an hourly service on a new alignment between Piraeus and Kiato (electrified) and work is underway to extend (eventually) to Patras.

Having stayed in Mili (Myloi), I can report that the "stored" steam locomotives remain on site, having been joined by Alsthom diesels 9201 and 9207.  The former locomotive shed is occupied (squatters, maybe), but again all track remains in place (including the triangle for turning locomotives).

It is curious how, despite closure, much of the Greek narrow gauge remains.  Tracks remain over most of the route of the North Western Railway (based in Messolongion, across the strait from the Peloponnese) - the section closed in 1970 (although there was a move to reopen in the 1990s).

• Like 1

I have just returned from Greece so a few recent observations. I had heard that the Peloponnese railway had closed so was surprised to come across so much of it still in place. It just looks as if stock was left where it was when closure took place. First siting was at Nafplio where a 2-6-0t is coupled to some old coaches in the station by the docks. The coaches appear to form a café. Rails, in good condition but weedy, were crossed several times on the way to Nemea. The next sighting was at Kalamata where we discovered the Railway Park. A public park containing 4 2-6-0t with numerous coaches and 3 2-8-2 tender locos, 2 Italian & 1 American. Also numerous goods wagons. Again we crossed the track several times on our way round to Mystras. The station at Olympia appeared to be in good condition but no sign of any activity. The highlight was a ride on the Diakofto to Kalavryta railway. 750 mm gauge, part rack, in a modern DMU. One of the original steam locos is properly preserved at Diakofto station. There were many signs of construction/electrification on the coast line west of Corinth. Another ride was on the 2ft gauge preserved line from Milies to Ano Lechonia in the Pilo peninsula to the east of Volos. The line used to run all the way to Volos, along the main street and into the Metre gauge station by the harbour. Much of the track remains in place, frequently appearing through the tarmac of widened roads. I also saw, from a coach so was unable to photograph, a short section of triple gauge track, 2ft, metre & standard between the main station and the harbour.   Roger

• Like 1

First sighting was at Nafplio where a 2-6-0t is coupled to some old coaches in the station by the docks. The coaches appear to form a café. Rails, in good condition but weedy, were crossed several times on the way to Nemea. 

That's the one at the "new" station by the harbour (Zs 7.535).  There's another Zs 2-6-0T (7.555) in the "old" station near the town centre (but you probably didn't want to know about that now it's too late - sorry!)

There is an advertised tourist service to Olympia, but it's hard to find the precise times of when it runs.  It starts from Pirghos, runs to Olympia, then makes a return trip to Katakolo, another return trip to Pirghos, and then back to Pirghos where it stables.  There can be additional services to meet cruise ships.  As I found out the hard way, the site and museum at Olympia closes at 3pm - an unpleasant surprise after driving several hours over the twisty, narrow road from Tripolis.

• Like 1

That's the one at the "new" station by the harbour (Zs 7.535).  There's another Zs 2-6-0T (7.555) in the "old" station near the town centre (but you probably didn't want to know about that now it's too late - sorry!)

There is an advertised tourist service to Olympia, but it's hard to find the precise times of when it runs.  It starts from Pirghos, runs to Olympia, then makes a return trip to Katakolo, another return trip to Pirghos, and then back to Pirghos where it stables.  There can be additional services to meet cruise ships.  As I found out the hard way, the site and museum at Olympia closes at 3pm - an unpleasant surprise after driving several hours over the twisty, narrow road from Tripolis.

B****r. I have found the old station on Google and we were very close to it when we walked around the peninsula in the evening.

post-5219-0-73110000-1525182986_thumb.jpg

post-5219-0-65977500-1525183043_thumb.jpg

post-5219-0-41546300-1525183086_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gilwell Park
  • Like 3

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Re-reading the linked article, it doesn’t seem totally clear what is to happen.

The extension of the electrified double tracked standard gauge from Kiato (present terminus) eventually through to Patras (through Rododafni and Rio) is perhaps unsurprising.

Where it refers to the “normalisation” and “electrification” of Isthmos - Loutraki, then my understanding is that that is also an extension of the standard gauge.

However, confusion comes over what is planned for the “upgrading” of Patras-Olympia-Pyrgos-Katakolo (and, in a later phase Kalamata) and the branches? The metre gauge remains in reasonable condition, and parts of it still see regular services.  Is the intention to convert the present alignments to standard gauge?

• 1 year later...

Hi All,

According to the linked news site, Argolida Portal (all in Greek unless Google Translate carries across);

https://olqqfcfmdm6r7clolucqcu4nya-jj2cvlaia66be-www-argolidaportal-gr.translate.goog/news/51550/ose-oloklirothike-i-meleti-gia-tin-epanaleitoyrgia-tis-sidirodromikis-grammis-korinthos

A study for the re-opening of the line from Corinth to Nafplio has just finished and some remedial works have been carried out. The upgrade costing 15.4 million euros, paid for by the Peloponnese region.

It then says that OSE will auction this project in the middle of 2021, weird, I quite thought that the whole system was owned by the Italian State railways, FS? It could simply be a translation error of course.

When Covid allows, it would be very pleasant to ride the metre gauge train again.

Cheers,

John.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

Not a translation error, in one of the weirder moments FS swooped in on the firesale during a spurt of expansionism that also saw them pick up C2C in the UK and win the West Coast bid with FirstGroup. One of the most visible impacts is that it has lead to the Greek high speed lines being furnished with refurbished Italian high speed stock.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2