At last some new 33s

owentherail

Is there room for a speaker in body or will it have to go in the fuel tanks like older 33s?

I’m working on the speaker in the body solution at the moment. Once I have the low profile speaker to hand and fitted/tested it I will post an update with photos.

• Like 1

In my original sound installations in 33s, with LokSound V3.5 decoders and 100 ohm speakers, I used two speakers in parallel. One in the fuel tank mouldings, and the other, a 23mm round speaker  with severely cut down sound chamber mounted at an angle behind the cab bulkhead at the #2 (non-radiator) end. This still works well today on both of the locos I fitted this way. One retains its original Howes sounds, the other has been reblown with a slightly cut down legomanbiffo sound project. 

I see no reason why this would not work on a newer Heljan 33, although with newer LokSound or Zimo decoders, the range of 4 or 8 ohm speakers available is much greater.

On 1/24/2019 at 3:12 PM, owentherail said:

Is there room for a speaker in body or will it have to go in the fuel tanks like older 33s?

Well the speaker in body installation is now sorted. My original thought was to fit a pair of 8ohm sugar lump speakers wired in parallel (giving 4ohms) but having trialled them I was not too impressed....

Looking at the chassis the best position for a speaker is under the fan mesh but the 8 pin plug/socket prevents this so I reversed the circuit board position. Word of warning doing this changes the default loco direction. My eventual solution was to remove the motor and reverse the wiring, this corrects the direction issue. There is another modification, this is to cut away part of the moulded speaker housing in the body to clear the 8 pin plug/socket.

1292380318_ReversedPCB.jpg.d75c388fa44998e1150d82af9f2d3137.jpg

118122546_Cutawayspeakermoulding.jpg.1b5902e991b421bc62580a00a5f47f74.jpg

The speaker I used was a 4 ohm ESU 50330 but it must be removed from it's housing. It is secured to the circuit board with double sided tape then sealed round with mastic. The ESU V4.0 Loksound decoder then fitted in-between the speaker and the motor plug/socket. There is not a lot of space so both width and height must be checked carefully.

1035754560_ESU50330.jpg.c0bf60ce4254833ee05c53aea02b6dd6.jpg

Installation.jpg.8fd7e1742280d38312650728a27fd849.jpg

Edited by Martin_R
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Heljan's website shows availability of some of the previous Class 33 releases but not this latest batch that includes 33111 and 33114 which suggests they have sold out. Good luck searching - hopefully a retailer somewhere will have one, perhaps one without a web presence.

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/02/2019 at 19:06, Kaput said:

Possible stupid question but is 33111 supposed to have any lights?

To be fair this is not such a daft question as the 33's were originally built with lower outboard tail lights, but these were later deemed surplus and simply painted over when the use of the red headcode box blinds was deemed acceptable as a tail light when travelling light loco.

In subsequent years a few locos lost their redundant tail lights during collision damage repairs, and of course all the 33/1 donor locos as per 33111 lost theirs at conversion among the other front end mods.

In recent years a couple of preserved 33/0's have had their lights "rediscovered" and recommissioned as built with D6515 (33012) of 71A Locomotives being a good example.

Edited by Bert Cheese
  • Informative/Useful 1

13 hours ago, Bert Cheese said:

To be fair this is not such a daft question as the 33's were originally built with lower outboard tail lights, but these were later deemed surplus and simply painted over when the use of the red headcode box blinds was deemed acceptable as a tail light when travelling light loco.

In subsequent years a few locos lost their redundant tail lights during collision damage repairs, and of course all the 33/1 donor locos as per 33111 lost theirs at conversion among the other front end mods.

In recent years a couple of preserved 33/0's have had their lights "rediscovered" and recommissioned as built with D6515 (33012) of 71A Locomotives being a good example.

The lights were marker lights and had a red movable filter so the lights could display red or white, like a shunter  can. That was the purpose of the knob next to the light

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...

Looks like some more 33’s on their way including 008 Eastleigh. 025 Sultan. Double pack of 050 and 051 in Construction. 110 blue and orange cant stripe. 119 blue with white window surrounds. 010 in blue and 4 grey fuel tanks pack. 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Livery samples out for most of the 33/0s:

https://railsofsheffield.com/groups/2847/new-Heljan-class-33-locomotives

An observant Twitter user notes these look like the original 33/0 tooling!?

Still no word on 33008 and exactly which livery it will have, but judging by the description I imagine it will be the same as D6580...which is a shame.

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, dj_crisp said:

There is something fishy going on - Sultan has the original moulded grille but the construction ones appear to have the etched grille. Personally I prefer the moulded grille so will welcome revised 33/0s with the moulded grille

The entire body on the "Sultan" sample is Heljan's first tooling class 33/0. It has the raised square plates just below the side grills (these are printed images on the second tooling versions) and the half open cab windows that the second tooling does not have. 

Interestingly, the construction pair are almost identical to Rail Expresses proposed pairs only with Shakespeare Cliff replacing Burma Star.

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, JSpencer said:

The entire body on the "Sultan" sample is Heljan's first tooling class 33/0. It has the raised square plates just below the side grills (these are printed images on the second tooling versions) and the half open cab windows that the second tooling does not have. 

Interestingly, the construction pair are almost identical to Rail Expresses proposed pairs only with Shakespeare Cliff replacing Burma Star.

33050 + 33051 were specially selected in 1991 to haul the last Channel Tunnel segment train... from Isle of Grain to Shakespeare Cliffe... hence the appropriateness of their names / liveries and hence this pack.

https://www.kentrail.org.uk/TransManche_Link_Terminal_Grain.htm

just need some TML stone wagons...

Would be nice if the headboard was included.

i’m hoping 33008 comes out as I remember it originally, TOPS number only with Orange cantrail, no headlight..

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, dj_crisp said:

Sultan has the original moulded grille but the construction ones appear to have the etched grille. Personally I prefer the moulded grille 

Could you please explain why you prefer the moulded to etched grille? And how you might tell which is being used for a model?

I'm looking at purchasing a remaining D6504 (item # 3417).

30 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

33050 + 33051 were specially selected in 1991 to haul the last Channel Tunnel segment train... from Isle of Grain to Shakespeare Cliffe... hence the appropriateness of their names / liveries and hence this pack.

i’m hoping 33008 comes out as I remember it originally, TOPS number only with Orange cantrail, no headlight..

Don't mention the R/E mess!  I did have 4 pairs on order - Blue, Dutch, DRS  & Construction!  But obviously that never happened.   I am surprised following the Class 24 Bo-Bo, that Rail Exclusive have not gone down the route of a museum quality crompton!  Particularly with the owners soft spot for the class!  Besides they must have the original files they sent to H, for the revised bodies! The sound, if on par with the Class 24 would be magnificent!

Personally, I have a few of the original Class 33's in all 3 variants, which I paid about £50 a piece for, brand new.  Never bothered with anymore since!

Regards,

C.  

• Agree 1

58 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Yes, 008 for me, in the third incarnation, small yellow warning panel, no headlight. Tops number only. October 1986 onwards. 

10 hours ago, YesTor said:

The etched grille is way overscale and quite frankly looks plain awful.  period.

Is it possible to tell from this photo whether the grille is etched or moulded?

3417 (1).jpg

On 18/10/2019 at 21:52, truffy said:

Could you please explain why you prefer the moulded to etched grille? And how you might tell which is being used for a model?

I'm looking at purchasing a remaining D6504 (item # 3417).

Exactly as YesTor - The etched grille grille is way overscale and imo runis the side of the loco. It's crude and sticks out way too far. If i owned one then I'd have to replace it with Brians amazing etch.... but then my 33/1s and 33/2s wouldn't sit well next to it and so I'd end up wanting to do the fleet. Which presents a different challenge in how to convincingly model the interior next to the bogie mount... It's low down on my project list but i may have a go with one to see if it's possible.

Again it's just my opinion and there are plently of issues with the 33/1s & 33/2s that I'm happy to live with or try to resolve that the new 33/0 resolves. 

cheers

Will

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1