At last some new 33s

owentherail

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/10/2019 at 18:28, dj_crisp said:

You'll see it on the front page of http://www.shawplan.com/

Looks the business - when i spoke to Brian about this etch last year sometime he did mention it was a good fit. But I've not tried it out yet

Having tried out the class 33 etch, I can certainly say it really improves the look of the model. The mesh is very fine also so it was tricky to paint without it clogging. The "vertical intakes" and the framing also need to be added to complete the loco as these are noticeable, easy enough to do with a nights work and patience, and the end result is certainly miles better than the Heljan moulded grill

NL

Edited by NickL2008
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NickL2008 said:

Having tried out the class 33 etch, I can certainly say it really improves the look of the model.

Is the Shawplan etch a good fit for the new 33 bodyshell?  I have the etch, and agree it's superb, but have held off buying one of the new 33s simply due to being uncertain if it would fit, conscious that the etch was designed for the original moulded grille 33.  I may well be tempted to give it a go. 

thanks

Al

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, truffy said:

I've decided to go for the Shawplan etch. Can anyone give a good match to Heljan's BR green?

On my 7mm peak I used Precision post 1954 BR Green which is nearly perfect but that, of course, assumes Heljan always use the same colour. The area between the two side grills and under the long one has been repainted. Getting the same finish is as critical as the shade.

post-7225-0-71240200-1540228486.jpg

post-7225-0-44687600-1541006267.jpg

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Precision post 1954 BR Green which is nearly perfect but that, of course, assumes Heljan always use the same colour.

Good point about colour continuity.

I doubt that I could get Precision paints shipped to Switzerland, other than overland courier which is 'how much?' I could have it shipped wihin the UK, and pick it up when I visit at new year.

But I guess that I really only have to worry about the frame, since the grille itself will be black, so I might get away with a mix'n'match. 

Edited by truffy

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Rails report the latest batch (33110, 33119, 33/0 twin pack etc) is due imminently. If the images are correct though it looks like the 33/1s have got the old fuel tanks! 

Edit - and having just reread this thread ironic that they had the late tank incorrectly on 33111 and have the early tanks incorrectly on 33110/119. If anyone wants to swap let me know, I've already got a spare early tank and several others under the early release 33s that need changing!

Edited by SouthernMafia

Want to pre-order the WCRC Class 33 33029 (weathered) but I'm confused in regards to the product number for the one that is actually being released later in the year using the new tooling, there are two being banded about on the internet which are Heljan 3458 & Heljan 3460.

I have checked Heljan's website but this WCRC Class 33 isn't even listed and a few online retailers are using both codes thus sort of confusing on which one to order?

If anyone can clarify that would be very much appreciated.

20 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

Puzzled over Heljans 1097 set of 4 black Esso B tankers and a Green 33/0 with full yellow ends numbered as D6580 as that was the first push pull 33 in 1965 (in green still as D6580) or did it actually carry such a livery before its conversion?

Agree that of all the Class 33s, D6580 is an odd choice for GFYE; Even if it did carry this livery pre-push/pull conversion, it can't have been for long !

Am I right in thinking that the only new tooled West Coast one is the weathered one 3460? I thought I saw a pristine one as an exclusive to somebody but I may be wrong!

I want one or two of these but nothing is really relevant to me in pristine. The DRS ones from Rails look great though.