At last some new 33s

owentherail

5 hours ago, kintbury jon said:

The railfreight ones look lovely.  How does the livery match to previous examples?  I have the original 33207 produced many years ago.  I then got 33033 and the liveries are very different.

The colours on this pair is very good. 33207 was ok as far as I remember, but 33033 had the upper grey too dark.

Cheers.

On 14/03/2020 at 09:00, owentherail said:

I thought 33207 had construction logo in wrong place at the time..... mite be wrong as it was some time ago 

Yes, plus all Speedlink ones too (the door repeater symbols). I scratched them off and added transfers.

Pictures comparing livery. My 33207 has touched up lower grey with matt varnish on top. I think 33050 colours are ok for nearer when it got the livery, e.g. darker roof etc.

Cheers.

New & Old (1).jpg

New & Old (2).jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Of all the 33s that are readily available new at the moment, I am thinking D6515, 33021 and 33029 are the ones that are currently in modelled condition (other than people getting pedantic as to whether 029 has been washed recently)?

• RMweb Gold

Ive always found the external condition of WCRC locos to be pretty good and clean. The stock however was a different story.

The 33’s seem to be well loved, i’m sure theres been a dirty occasion but Ive always seem them clean enough...

6 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Ive always found the external condition of WCRC locos to be pretty good and clean. The stock however was a different story.

The 33’s seem to be well loved, i’m sure theres been a dirty occasion but Ive always seem them clean enough...

I do think it's odd that they did that one weathered TBH! As you say they are normally clean, which you'd kind of expect for the work they do.

I fancy a 33 and would like one I could run on the layout as modern day but would prefer pristine. D6515 is the better candidate as it gets onto the mainline. 33021 I think I might prefer livery wise.

Does anybody know if they come with etched nameplates? I'm not expecting an etched depot plate on 021!

Edited by TomScrut

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, TomScrut said:

I do think it's odd that they did that one weathered TBH! As you say they are normally clean, which you'd kind of expect for the work they do.

The last railtour ive seen was a 33 fiesta... BLS’s tours to the south saw 3 Working x 33’s on Southall shed in March..

its been quite some years since last time 3x 33’s were on shed in London... Heljan will have now modelled all 3 of them.. D6515/33029 and 33207... and Bachmanns doing the stock.

• Informative/Useful 1

Well I ended up with neither (yet). I ordered 33063, and some nameplates, TMD plates and BR plates from Fox Transfers. The loco is in that livery, just it's now named and has a TMD plate (two actually if you include the Eastleigh one above the name)

8 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Well I ended up with neither (yet). I ordered 33063, and some nameplates, TMD plates and BR plates from Fox Transfers. The loco is in that livery, just it's now named and has a TMD plate (two actually if you include the Eastleigh one above the name)

Glad my info on Facebook has helped you.

Its one of the 2 i have on order (D6515) . I had a quick look at the available plates for 063 and had also decided i would probably go for Fox too.

Let me know what they are like please .  

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, 47423 said:

Glad my info on Facebook has helped you.

Its one of the 2 i have on order (D6515) . I had a quick look at the available plates for 063 and had also decided i would probably go for Fox too.

Let me know what they are like please .  

Ah thanks very much (again)!

Yes it was the best choice I thought, was wanting a more modern livery and I was wanting something in sector colours but there seems a bit of a lack of RTR stuff like that for locos in those liveries at present.

I will post some pics on here when they turn up if it's of benefit? I'd see it as on topic? They come with the Spitfire/Eastleigh TMD plate in blue if you choose the black nameplate as per current mainline livery. And then went for some BR logos too as they'll look better for being stainless instead of painted on.

• Like 1

Did the colour of the body stripe and around the cab windows change on D6515?

It looks to be cream coloured in the latest Flickr photos dating back to 2000 but the photos of the model shown by Hattons & Rails it appears to be white.

I'm interested in getting one as a current day preserved/heritage line model thus if someone could confirm that would be great, thanks.

Must admit the photo on Kernow's site looks more cream thus it's probably the light conditions within the photo's giving it a more white appearance, anyway looks like this will be my first ever Heljan purchase.

Edited by classy52

9 minutes ago, classy52 said:

Did the colour of the body stripe and around the cab windows change on D6515?

It looks to be cream coloured in the latest Flickr photos dating back to 2000 but the photos of the model shown by Hattons & Rails it appears to be white.

I'm interested in getting one as a current day preserved/heritage line model thus if someone could confirm that would be great, thanks.

It is supposed to be as per present day according to dialogue with Heljan on Facebook.

They said D6515 and 33029 are as current, but I do see what you mean although it's hard to say for sure. I wouldn't call the model white but certainly a lot paler than the pics of the real thing. What we don't know is whether this is the case on the production model given I expect these are livery samples on the pics.

When I raised the point about 33021 being as current too they said it was in 90s condition with no real statement about the evidence I provided of 021s current condition other than "it is indeed and the two liveries are very similar". I.e. acknowledging similarity in a non committal manner which is understandable.

I wasn't aware of 33063 being a nameplate and TMD plaque away from being current when I had this conversation.

• Informative/Useful 1

12 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

It is supposed to be as per present day according to dialogue with Heljan on Facebook.

They said D6515 and 33029 are as current, but I do see what you mean although it's hard to say for sure. I wouldn't call the model white but certainly a lot paler than the pics of the real thing. What we don't know is whether this is the case on the production model given I expect these are livery samples on the pics.

When I raised the point about 33021 being as current too they said it was in 90s condition with no real statement about the evidence I provided of 021s current condition other than "it is indeed and the two liveries are very similar". I.e. acknowledging similarity in a non committal manner which is understandable.

I wasn't aware of 33063 being a nameplate and TMD plaque away from being current when I had this conversation.

Thanks for that, I was quite interested in your posts about 33063 and by just applying the plates & Fox transfers you basically can bring it up to its preservation state today which I am also thinking of doing sometime in the future but for now I'll get D6515.

Also check out this excellent BRM review of the new Class 33 which will answer a few of your questions especially in regards to 33021.

Edited by classy52
  • Informative/Useful 1

41 minutes ago, classy52 said:

Also check out this excellent BRM review of the new Class 33 which will answer a few of your questions especially in regards to 33021.

Well that makes me want 33021 too!

But I will wait for the other one to show up first. It will be my smallest "big" diesel (I think big in UK terms means two cabs), the only ones smaller will be single cab ones such as my 03, 08 and 20. I don't think this looks much bigger than a 20.

• Like 1