At last some new 33s

owentherail

On 11/05/2020 at 07:56, Richard Croft said:

Thanks Tom, here’s the photo of the speaker which fits well on top of the chassis. They are on http://www.roads-and-rails.co.uk

9D8CC1CD-6D8B-4248-AB34-CF58FFE74D6A.jpeg.2b6f12b689f51c820acdb84e8f792417.jpeg

Hi Richard is it possible to fit this speaker as well as the 4 ohm one that fits in the diesel tank (cant remember if I fit them in series or parallel )

The one I normally fit in the tanks are 2 watt 4 ohm ones shown earlier in this thread.

I just purchased 3 through your ebay site.

Regards Baz

51 minutes ago, bazil31 said:

Hi Richard is it possible to fit this speaker as well as the 4 ohm one that fits in the diesel tank (cant remember if I fit them in series or parallel )

The one I normally fit in the tanks are 2 watt 4 ohm ones shown earlier in this thread.

I just purchased 3 through your ebay site.

Regards Baz

What decoder?

The circular one is 4 ohms as far as I am aware, as is the one you fit.

So the way I see it is you have two options.

If you fit the speakers in series this will give roughly an 8 ohm impedance together.

If you fit them in parallel then you'll roughly get a 2 ohm impedance.

I say roughly as the impedance of speakers is phase and frequency dependant so with differing speakers more room for fluctuation.

That said, fitting them in series would be the safest bet here. I don't know what your decoder is but the Loksound V5 for example is only rated down to 4 Ohms so putting in parallel runs risks to the decoder (not sure if they cut out when too much current is demanded or they fry).

• Informative/Useful 2

45 minutes ago, bazil31 said:

Hi Tom

I think its a ESU v4 from Legoman Biffa

I've had it a while without getting around to fit it

I think the V4 is similar to the V5. The V3 needs really high impedance speakers IIRC.

Yes I think you are right Tom V4 similar to V5 

Ill fit them in parallel and see what it sounds like.

I have a 33 already with sound in the tanks and wanted another with slightly different sound when in a consist.

Baz

3 minutes ago, bazil31 said:

Yes I think you are right Tom V4 similar to V5 

Ill fit them in parallel and see what it sounds like.

I have a 33 already with sound in the tanks and wanted another with slightly different sound when in a consist.

Baz

Series I hope you mean!

2 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Rails? My 33063 hasn't been dispatched, let's hope it's on its way tomorrow!

I'm seriously considering buying the DRS minimodal pair from Rails the're still showing as pre-order.

2 minutes ago, dave56 said:

I'm seriously considering buying the DRS minimodal pair from Rails the're still showing as pre-order.

There's a post on Facebook today saying they are there. They look awesome but not my era and I aren't short enough of stuff to buy to invoke rule 1!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

There's a post on Facebook today saying they are there. They look awesome but not my era and I aren't short enough of stuff to buy to invoke rule 1!

I was actually in the cab of 33063 at the Spa Valley Railway just after Christmas at the invite of the driver.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Rails? My 33063 hasn't been dispatched, let's hope it's on its way tomorrow!

Hattons. Not sure if they have been dispatched but they have been processed and will be with me by the weekend with any luck. The plates have arrived from Fox too :D

Edited by 47423

If anyone is getting 33029 I'd be interested to see what the weathering is like on it. 

It's a potential purchase if the weathering is acceptable. 

Edited by 47423

42 minutes ago, 47423 said:

If anyone is getting 33029 I'd be interested to see what the weathering is like on it. 

It's a potential purchase if the weathering is acceptable. 

There’s a photo of 33029 on eBay, looks a lot better than 33012.

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, amarr40 said:

There’s a photo of 33029 on eBay, looks a lot better than 33012.

I disagree I’ve never seen a WCRC 33 that dirty. They are afterall charter train locos, and spend much time “on depot”.

They tend to keep their locos fairly clean, indeed I’m surprised they would agree to model a dirty one, its not good for their brand image.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

WCRC locos are generally clean, the Heljan sample is way too dirty for my liking. I will wait to see better pictures and will have a look at the ebay one later today.

Edited by 47423

As others have quite rightly said, I can’t understand the thought process that went into deciding that the WCRC 33 would be weathered. 99% of the time, their locos are very nicely turned out. If it had been produced as pristine, that model would have done very well. Not sure how it will sell as weathered. Some weathering can be removed with care (like my Bachmann Regional Railways 37). But I’ve not had any dealings with Heljan weathering and I don’t know if that could be easily ‘cleaned up’. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, 66738 said:

If it had been produced as pristine, that model would have done very well

I'd have been more likely to buy it for sure. I aren't keen on factory weathering anyway (other than on China clays given that is just their normal state)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On ‎07‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 13:33, SouthernMafia said:

Waiting with anticipation to see what the weathering is actually like on 33012, understand it was a bit hit and miss on the 0 gauge version?

Just been looking at the photos on Hattons of the production 33012 and it is a miss for me - shame as I was really looking forward to that one. It looks as though they have tried to create the partially cleaned look on the yellow ends, but it does not work for me.

Edit: I also note that it has blue star codes next to the marker lights. I am fairly certain that by the time 33s had headlights, the codes had pretty much stopped being used. A quick google failed to show any of 33012 operational under BR with headlights and blue stars. Happy to be corrected.... 

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I disagree I’ve never seen a WCRC 33 that dirty. They are afterall charter train locos, and spend much time “on depot”.

They tend to keep their locos fairly clean, indeed I’m surprised they would agree to model a dirty one, its not good for their brand image.

The sides aren’t that bad as the loco has done work other than charters. But the yellow end is a mess!

33029 Tonbridge West Yard

• Like 3