At last some new 33s

owentherail

20 hours ago, Markn said:

I havnt got mine yet to compare, but is it actually a retooling, or just a reintroduction of the later liveries on the latest tooling... Just that my Burma Star model with high intensity light from the last batch looks remarkably similar.

Your Burma Star model sounds like 33202 which is a slim Jim 33/2 type of the class that were narrower than the other variants (33/0 and 33/1) of the same class. 

Originally Heljan did tooling for  33/0 and 33/1 (bagpipes) and 33/2. The roof was too flat on the 33/0.

The 33/0 went through a revamp. The roof profile corrected, early/late exhaust option added, bogies corrected, various extra front details, etch grills replacing mouldings  but a few errors crepted in such as missing small panals on the sides below the grills, roof horn covers added when they should be removed, etched grills too large etc).

This model corrects certain features of that tool. Horn covers once more removed, finer etched grills etc plus high intensity light option which was not on the second version of 33/0.

• Informative/Useful 2

11 hours ago, Markn said:

33030 arrived today and its a stunner. The livery is crisp and the level of detail looks greater than I remember my other two being, but will check later. Will also run it later once it's cooled down, but for now, here's a few pics in the afternoon sun

IMG_20200520_122814.jpg

Hmmm, so is this the etched grille mk2?  Still looks rather 'clunky' and overly-recessed to me...?

10 hours ago, classy52 said:

...this new updated/re-tooled range just seems a bit slap dash on getting things right as well as horribly wrong...hit'n'miss :banghead:

On 19/05/2020 at 19:57, Markn said:

I havnt got mine yet to compare, but is it actually a retooling, or just a reintroduction of the later liveries on the latest tooling... Just that my Burma Star model with high intensity light from the last batch looks remarkably similar.

I think the marketing as a 'retool' is a bit cheeky personally - call me cynical but it feels like little more than an occasional 'retouch' here-and-there, perhaps just enough to put off any competition from tackling an all-new 33 perhaps?  Either way, as above, it does all feel a bit slap-dash, especially if Heljan have reintroduced the flat-roof 33/0?  Somewhat bizarre.  And sadly not encouraging a purchase from me, as much as I'm up for a few 33s.

Al

Edited by YesTor
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

10 hours ago, Blvrace said:

I have just received my post office red

class 33 and I am pleased with the livery ,but quote me if I am wrong

i thought it come with new LED lights

as per the advert. Removed the body to find the old bulb arrangement 

which is ok, but why say it’s got LED,s

a little misleading I think

I thought the same, also said there would be room for a speaker ...... well if you buy a thin small one there is 

• RMweb Gold

Afaik Heljan has only ever used white stripes on its green 26/27 and 33’s.

If its any consolation, my Lima ones were also white, and  it fades with age naturally.

its unfortunate but its consistent with their others, and if you want D6515 you've only 3 choices, buy it, do it yourself or do without.

I still think its going to sell well, given those options.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Blvrace said:

I have just received my post office red

class 33 and I am pleased with the livery ,but quote me if I am wrong

i thought it come with new LED lights

as per the advert. Removed the body to find the old bulb arrangement 

which is ok, but why say it’s got LED,s

a little misleading I think

Question is probably whether Heljan actually listed LED's etc in ths spec or if it was retailers.

Seen it a few times with some retailers listing off a spec for a new model and some of the stuff is pretty much made up as it is mentioned nowhere on the manufacturer's own spec listings.

9 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Afaik Heljan has only ever used white stripes on its green 26/27 and 33’s.

If its any consolation, my Lima ones were also white, and  it fades with age naturally.

its unfortunate but its consistent with their others, and if you want D6515 you've only 3 choices, buy it, do it yourself or do without.

I still think its going to sell well, given those options.

Hornby got it right with it's Railroad Crompton. 

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Markn said:

33030 arrived today and its a stunner. The livery is crisp and the level of detail looks greater than I remember my other two being, but will check later. Will also run it later once it's cooled down, but for now, here's a few pics in the afternoon sun

IMG_20200520_122915.jpg

IMG_20200520_122814.jpg

IMG_20200520_122649.jpg

IMG_20200520_122851.jpg

This convinced me to go for this one. 

would still like to know what happened to Eastleigh!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, steve1023 said:

Hornby got it right with it's Railroad Crompton. 

Buy that one then if it floats your boat.

i used to buy them occasionally as a cheap chassis for my Lima 26/27/33 they scrub up well. however since a Heljan chassis can be secured for a lesser price I stopped there too.

Edited by adb968008

8 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Buy that one then if it floats your boat.

i used to buy them occasionally as a cheap chassis for my Lima 26/27/33 they scrub up well. however since a Heljan chassis can be secured for a lesser price I stopped there too.

Already got it thanks. Point still stands - both Hornby & Lima were getting basic liveries right years ago, but not a single release of the Heljan class 33 turns up without something not being quite right somewhere . I'll admit i'm not a big fan of Heljan, not really sure how many times you need to get it right but until someone else has a go at it, it's either them or old Lima models, although in fairness the 33/2 tooling is pretty good. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, steve1023 said:

Already got it thanks. Point still stands - both Hornby & Lima were getting basic liveries right years ago, but not a single release of the Heljan class 33 turns up without something not being quite right somewhere . I'll admit i'm not a big fan of Heljan, not really sure how many times you need to get it right but until someone else has a go at it, it's either them or old Lima models, although in fairness the 33/2 tooling is pretty good. 

No Lima wasnt, I still have several, they even used white plastic on those green livery models, rather than standard yellow.

Hornby has only made 1 green 33, and no 26/27s.

Enjoy the underframes on your Lima 33’s, and that white plastic does yellow with age.

Edited by adb968008

1 hour ago, Kaput said:

Question is probably whether Heljan actually listed LED's etc in ths spec or if it was retailers.

Seen it a few times with some retailers listing off a spec for a new model and some of the stuff is pretty much made up as it is mentioned nowhere on the manufacturer's own spec listings.

This is from the Heljan fb page a few weeks back, so I guess that's where the confusion has arisen. Either way it doesn't matter to me, just stick a decent chip in it and it will handle the lights. They look pretty realistic aswell and arn't garish.

**DELIVERY UPDATE**
We are pleased to report that deliveries from our Chinese factories have restarted after the recent hiatus.
The latest models to arrive at the Heljan warehouse are our new OO gauge Class 33/0s with high intensity headlights. These have been produced in a wide selection of later liveries from the late-1980s onwards, covering the BR Sectorisation and privatised eras.
Our Class 33s are always hugely popular, with recent batches selling through very quickly. We expect this latest batch to follow that trend as it is 14 years since we last produced any ’33/0s’ with HI headlights in their final guise.
Since those first releases, our Class 33/0s have evolved through several generations and this new ‘V3’ version continues that process, featuring improved radiator grilles with much finer metal mesh, as well as the improved body shape and finer detail of the ‘V2’ models released a few years ago. 
Models are also DCC Ready with an 8-pin decoder interface, feature working LED lights, a heavy diecast chassis with a powerful 5-pole motor, all-wheel drive and pick-up and a bag of optional detail parts to finish off your locomotives. With an SRP of £149.00 (£159.00 for weathered versions), these models have been produced in limited quantities and are expected to sell through quickly. Order yours now from your local Heljan stockist! 

3450 BR blue 33012 WEATHERED
3451 BR green SYP D6515 Lt. Jenny Lewis RN
3452 BR Civil Engineers grey/yellow 33026 Seafire
3453 Railfreight Construction grey 33042 WEATHERED
3454 Mainline grey 33063
3455 Post Office red 33021 Eastleigh
3456 EWS red/gold 33030
3460 West Coast Railways maroon 33029 WEATHERED

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

No Lima wasnt, I still have several, they even used white plastic on those green livery models, rather than standard yellow.

Hornby has only made 1 green 33, and no 26/27s.

Enjoy the underframes on your Lima 33’s, and that white plastic does yellow with age.

Yes you are correct about the models fading, I realise that, but in fairness you are writing about models that were produced maybe 40 odd years ago, truthfully i'm not surprised after all this time to see them fade/yellow. 

Yes you are correct that Hornby have only ever done 1 green class 33 and no 26/27s......

Yes, I know my Railroad 33 doesn't have the same finesse as later models, but at least I can put it on the track and just have a bit of fun with it with having to spend ages trying to remove all buffer beam pipes (and inevitably failing) to carry out said task without breaking any. 

Finally, you seem to be quite bitter in your closing comments in both replies to me just because I like my old clunky Railroad 33. Any reason why?

Steve

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, steve1023 said:

Yes you are correct about the models fading, I realise that, but in fairness you are writing about models that were produced maybe 40 odd years ago, truthfully i'm not surprised after all this time to see them fade/yellow. 

Yes you are correct that Hornby have only ever done 1 green class 33 and no 26/27s......

Yes, I know my Railroad 33 doesn't have the same finesse as later models, but at least I can put it on the track and just have a bit of fun with it with having to spend ages trying to remove all buffer beam pipes (and inevitably failing) to carry out said task without breaking any. 

Finally, you seem to be quite bitter in your closing comments in both replies to me just because I like my old clunky Railroad 33. Any reason why?

Steve

I highlighted why in my original post.

You admitted your not a Heljan fan, its not my role to try to convince otherwise.

Nothing wrong with older models Ive been collecting for 40 years.

so no argument on either point.

good luck to you.

There has never been a perfect model made, ever in history. Everyone has something if you look hard enough. So holding high esteem of one, whilst knocking another, is a bit of pointless kettle /pot calling, which was my veiled point.

we've never had it so good... I wish people appreciate that.

I am very excited by D6515, I think many people will be too. Heljan has made some very exciting 33’s this year.. 33050/1 are in my view fantastic, Ive plans on 2x33/1’s, one of which will finally replace my aged Lima 33105, Ive had since c1991.
The EWS 33 pictured above is becoming very hard to ignore.

As of today my most treasured 33 is Lima 33008 Eastleigh as I saw it myself back in the late 1980’s, ive never seen it accurately modelled as I saw it on the day since.. its going nowhere! However D6515 at Wimbledon in March was the last loco I saw in real life before this lockdown started, and brought umpteen memories of 33008 did 30 years ago... I dont care if the line is 1 RAL shade off white...

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Heljan has made some very exciting 33’s this year

I agree, I live the fact that 4 of them are identical/very similar to their current state (actually 5 if you include the fact that one of the DRS ones is left like that to rot).

I know very little about 33s other than I think they are a nice looking, compact loco which appeals to me when most of my locos are 3000HP+ 20m+ (except my 37s), but if I am pleased with my 33063 then I think I may have another, probably 33021 but maybe D6515. Depends on availability of plates etc too.

I do really like the DRS ones but they don't suit my era 11/present day status at the moment, nor do they suit the second collection I will start at some point, late BR.

I agree the weathering is pretty bad on the yellow ends and also along the edge of the roof.

Will have a go at removing some with white spirit if it will budge and add some extra tones with powder and an airbrush.

Had this one on order for a while and have it on the rolling road for the last hour or so and ran fine straight out of the box.

I also have 33 042 on order hopefully a bit better ion the weathering.

IMG_1572.JPG

IMG_1573.JPG

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, bazil31 said:

I agree the weathering is pretty bad on the yellow ends and also along the edge of the roof.

Will have a go at removing some with white spirit if it will budge and add some extra tones with powder and an airbrush.

Had this one on order for a while and have it on the rolling road for the last hour or so and ran fine straight out of the box.

I also have 33 042 on order hopefully a bit better ion the weathering.

IMG_1572.JPG

That is dreadful - I'd send it back personally.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Agree 1

Thanks to those of you sharing pics of your nice new 33’s. I’ve got 33029 and D6515 on order. I actually don’t mind the weathering on 029 as before it was repainted, I’d seen a few photos of it looking quite tatty. Although it looked immaculate when used on the Windermere service. I’m hoping that a cotton bud in thinners will remove the front end weathering on the yellow panel as that doesn’t look right. As for D6515 I like the look of it so only decided to order it this week as well.

Thanks

Mark

A couple of minutes with a cotton bud dipped in white spirit has removed most of the weathering on one end so not too worried now.

Not sure about the roof line  might have to bring the black down to the orange stripe.

Baz

I have received my Heljan D6515 Lt jenny Lewis RN. If I had not read some comments on this post I would not have noticed that the window surrounds and the stripe should be off white rather than white. The roof on the prototype also seems to be a lighter grey than on the model. I have noticed that the Swanage Railway tends to paint its carriage roofs a light grey colour to reflect the heat during the summer. When the Swanage Railway hired the London Transport 4TC the roofs were black which absorbed the heat and the passengers got too hot.

P1100238.JPG

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Photo of 33 with end cleaned with a cotton bud and white spirit.

I also cleaned around the yellow on the cab side windows.IMG_1581.JPG.01ce9307705313273d4055d0f4c08eb6.JPG

Didn't take long a couple of minutes was all.

Not sure I would of purchased this loco if I had seen the weathering first as I already have a couple of blue ones but I wanted the faded body shade.

The rest of the weathering is not too bad just the roof to sort out .

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, bazil31 said:

Photo of 33 with end cleaned with a cotton bud and white spirit.

I also cleaned around the yellow on the cab side windows.IMG_1581.JPG.01ce9307705313273d4055d0f4c08eb6.JPG

Didn't take long a couple of minutes was all.

Not sure I would of purchased this loco if I had seen the weathering first as I already have a couple of blue ones but I wanted the faded body shade.

The rest of the weathering is not too bad just the roof to sort out .

That is so much better and how it should have looked in the first place...looks pretty good as it is now IMO.

• Like 5

Yes front end does look better its just the roof that is niggling me its like they cleaned off the dark colour and it just looks to clean too much of a contrast.

It is cleaner than the sides which has a fine dusty layer.

Not sure weather to spray some black paint over the light blue or spray some faded blue over the edge of the roof and weather it after with powders.

• RMweb Premium

The pictures of the weathered 33 show why I always prefer my locos pristine so I can do the weathering myself.

I'm still waiting for Heljan to do more plain blue TOPS 33/0s.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, meatloaf said:

Has ayone found theres gets warm when running? My guagemaster special of Eastleigh is pretty warm to the touch after extended running

Had the same problem problem with mine but mine smelt of burning to.Heljan have used white grease to lubricate it.The grease is everywhere had to remove some of mine was getting hot to think the grease was burning it wasnt a electrical smell it was oil burning smell. I ran it it in for longer than normal the smells gone and its not hot anymore I have also had this problem with the gaugemaster 33025 as well.