At last some new 33s

owentherail

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, JSpencer said:

Few more pics, this time on a post office train (this 33 was only painted post office red in preservation but rule 1 applies - until now I only had an old Hornby class 86 "Poste Haste" in red livery).

Depends what you mean by preservation. At the time it carried that livery it was operated by Fragonset, as a mainline operator, and was registered as an operational loco.

Roy

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Depends what you mean by preservation. At the time it carried that livery it was operated by Fragonset, as a mainline operator, and was registered as an operational loco.

Roy

It's in that livery now too, as of last year I think.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, BR Blue said:

The more I read this the more I wish someone else would do a 33. The Heljan 33/1s and 33/2s have  been much better in fairness - always had the right shape for a start. However the 33/0s have been all over the place - first the flat roof version, then the corrected roof but with printed detail replacing molded detail and fictitious lines on the roof. Errors in the centre tanks even though they have variations tooled they do not use them correctly. Re-introduction of the flat roofed version and finally multiple livery errors. I probably missed something. I want more 33/0s but Heljan are not making it easy for me.  Just overall poor attention to detail. Rant over :)

I don't wish somebody else would do them, I just wish they would cut out the silly errors and/or listen to feedback more. For my three modelling regions (the L&B, Scottish and Southern regions - both in 1970/1980s) Heljan have been a Godsend with the Manning Wardles, 07s, 17s, 26s, 27s, 33s etc. A quick filter of my list has shown that Heljan are the second most prevalent manufacturer for my diesel loco fleet (behind Bachmann).

I had hoped that with Ben there things would improve, but I am yet to be convinced. I never pre-order anything from Heljan, always feeling the need to wait and see

Roy.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

I don't wish somebody else would do them, I just wish they would cut out the silly errors and/or listen to feedback more. For my three modelling regions (the L&B, Scottish and Southern regions - both in 1970/1980s) Heljan have been a Godsend with the Manning Wardles, 07s, 17s, 26s, 27s, 33s etc. A quick filter of my list has shown that Heljan are the second most prevalent manufacturer for my diesel loco fleet (behind Bachmann).

I had hoped that with Ben there things would improve, but I am yet to be convinced. I never pre-order anything from Heljan, always feeling the need to wait and see

Roy.

That would work too. I totally agree about not pre-ordering as you do not know what you will get from Heljan. I am just  getting a bit fed up with the 33s.  The re-release of the flat roof version was a massive retrograde step. It is seems to be one thing after another. Livery errors are fixable and as you say silly errors. There are some positives from Heljan like the promised new slimmed down 47 but the 33s send all the wrong signals (pardon the pun).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Speaking of dodgy liveries, I've removed my Mainline branding on 33063. Had to respray (quick job) as I tried the Sharpie method and it took a bit more rubbing to remove the logos, so just be wary.  Numbers might be ok.

IMG_-1wq28v.jpg.9968c3147320da83e9c985778290ea09.jpg

It's only now I've realised there's an error with the bodyside windows. They're either too big or too low down, or both. The dividing line between the two greys should be in line with the dividing line on the cab ends and the horizontal handrail. If you move the line up it will dissect the windows. Same problem on the Dapol 73 which I'm currently redoing (Dutch). Doh!

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Friend of mine has had a phone call from Locomotion Models to tell him his model of 33116 is on route to him, anyone else got theirs yet?

Apparantly they arrived just as everyone was put on Furlough, so couldn't be dispatched, be interesting to see how that measures up. Here (hopefully) is the pic of it pinched off their site....

class-33-33116-hertfordshire-rail-tours~2768.jpg

5 minutes ago, GEARJAMMER said:

Friend of mine has had a phone call from Locomotion Models to tell him his model of 33116 is on route to him, anyone else got theirs yet?

Apparantly they arrived just as everyone was put on Furlough, so couldn't be dispatched, be interesting to see how that measures up. Here (hopefully) is the pic of it pinched off their site....

class-33-33116-hertfordshire-rail-tours~2768.jpg

Is this model 'as preserved' or depicted from an earlier era?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, classy52 said:

93-98.

From the website....

Locomotion Models are delighted to announce that they have commissioned a OO Scale Class 33/1 locomotive No. D6535 ‘Hertfordshire Rail Tours’ from Heljan.
This is the first exclusive edition model produced for Locomotion Models by the Danish manufacturer.
Built by the Birmingham Railway Carriage & Wagon Company it was delivered on the 10th December 1960, it entered service on British Railways Southern Region as D6535.
It was renumbered 33116 on 31st December 1973 and was named ‘Hertfordshire Rail Tours’ on 11th December 1993 at Weymouth station by John Farrow and Ian Kapur of Hertfordshire Rail Tours. The name was carried until April 1998.
It was withdrawn from traffic in August 1998 and stored out of use at Old Oak Common until June 2003 when it was acquired for the National Collection.
D6535 was push/pull fitted and was usually found operating with non-powered 4TC units on non electrified lines on the Southern Region. These were designated as Class 33/1 locomotives for push/pull working which was commonplace between Bournemouth and Weymouth prior to completion of the Weymouth electrification scheme in 1988.
The National Railway Museum loaned D6535 to the Great Central Railway in April 2005 where it has been located ever since and where it is available for traffic.

http://www.locomotionmodels.com/exclusive-models/diesel-and-electric-models/class-33-33116-hertfordshire-rail-tours.htm

Edited by 47423
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, classy52 said:

If as preserved I might want one! I think the /1s look cool with the higher connectors

Edit, typical that as I'm posting the very comprehensive answer comes in!

Edited by TomScrut

8 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

I don't wish somebody else would do them, I just wish they would cut out the silly errors and/or listen to feedback more.

Yes, or that to be honest!

Whilst I only have the one Heljan loco, their usefulness to modellers of the early diesel era and the enjoyment they will have given them must be massive. Their range has loads of stuff that didn't last very long/were one offs/both that probably wouldn't have got a look in from Hornby or Bachmann (along with some stuff that did last a while).

7 hours ago, SouthernMafia said:

I've removed my Mainline branding on 33063

Have you got sorted with some mainline transfers or are you not redoing them? I haven't heard back from Fox

30 minutes ago, 47423 said:

93-98.

From the website....

Locomotion Models are delighted to announce that they have commissioned a OO Scale Class 33/1 locomotive No. D6535 ‘Hertfordshire Rail Tours’ from Heljan.
This is the first exclusive edition model produced for Locomotion Models by the Danish manufacturer.
Built by the Birmingham Railway Carriage & Wagon Company it was delivered on the 10th December 1960, it entered service on British Railways Southern Region as D6535.
It was renumbered 33116 on 31st December 1973 and was named ‘Hertfordshire Rail Tours’ on 11th December 1993 at Weymouth station by John Farrow and Ian Kapur of Hertfordshire Rail Tours. The name was carried until April 1998.
It was withdrawn from traffic in August 1998 and stored out of use at Old Oak Common until June 2003 when it was acquired for the National Collection.
D6535 was push/pull fitted and was usually found operating with non-powered 4TC units on non electrified lines on the Southern Region. These were designated as Class 33/1 locomotives for push/pull working which was commonplace between Bournemouth and Weymouth prior to completion of the Weymouth electrification scheme in 1988.
The National Railway Museum loaned D6535 to the Great Central Railway in April 2005 where it has been located ever since and where it is available for traffic.

http://www.locomotionmodels.com/exclusive-models/diesel-and-electric-models/class-33-33116-hertfordshire-rail-tours.htm

Thanks for clarifying, so for years between 1993 to 1998.

Would of thought the NRM/Locomotion would have commissioned it in the 'as preserved' condition for this model thus to me a bit of a strange decision to do something from the nineties.

Edited by classy52
  • Like 1

The livery is supposed to be from December 93 to April 98. The loco hasn't been repainted since but is absolutely battered with no plates now. Not checked how accurate the model is for the stated time frame. You would need to start drilling holes in it to get it accurate for today :huh:

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, 47423 said:

The livery is supposed to be from December 93 to April 98. The loco hasn't been repainted since but is absolutely battered with no plates now. Not checked how accurate the model is for the stated time frame. You would need to start drilling holes in it to get it accurate for today :huh:

Yes correct, sorry got confused with what NRM/Locomotion were commissioning as I stated in my previous edited response.

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, 47423 said:

think it’s earlier than 1998. The nameplates were black by 97

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 47423 said:

To put it bluntly, it's a xxxx disgrace. And part of the national collection too. 

Hopefully it's going to get some much needed bodywork done. 

Yeah it pretty battered requiring some body work & a full repaint.

12 minutes ago, classy52 said:

Yeah it pretty battered requiring some body work & a full repaint.

On rechecking my latest photos of it from when I last had it, most of the bodywork has been patched up. So I take my comments back. Unfortunately the pictures are over 10mb so can't upload them here. 

2 minutes ago, 47423 said:

On rechecking my latest photos of it from when I last had it, most of the bodywork has been patched up. So I take my comments back. Unfortunately the pictures are over 10mb so can't upload them here. 

Yeah I noticed the dark blue square patches on the bodyside against the faded larger areas, probably just needs a decent full re-paint.

9 hours ago, SouthernMafia said:

Speaking of dodgy liveries, I've removed my Mainline branding on 33063. Had to respray (quick job) as I tried the Sharpie method and it took a bit more rubbing to remove the logos, so just be wary.  Numbers might be ok.

IMG_-1wq28v.jpg.9968c3147320da83e9c985778290ea09.jpg

It's only now I've realised there's an error with the bodyside windows. They're either too big or too low down, or both. The dividing line between the two greys should be in line with the dividing line on the cab ends and the horizontal handrail. If you move the line up it will dissect the windows. Same problem on the Dapol 73 which I'm currently redoing (Dutch). Doh!

Something is wrong with the grey band, but I can't confirm if it is the side windows, cab windows or something else. I hadn't noticed this before, or really looked that close. Likely several mistakes.

Cheers.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Lyddrail said:

Something is wrong with the grey band, but I can't confirm if it is the side windows, cab windows or something else. I hadn't noticed this before, or really looked that close. Likely several mistakes.

Cheers.

So it appears 33063s preserved two-tone livery is slightly different to how it wore it during its working life. Heljan have the livery as in the latter, with the yellow/black divide on the front inline with the cab handrails. On the Mainline preserved version it's higher up.

33063 (prt)

These 5 protrusions show the difference on the sides:

Construction 1992

20200529_093107.jpg.206cc45963eb864007ec71947a7efc2a.jpg

Mainline 1996

20200529_093548.jpg.b76ac96df6256259579d2d85540d58b7.jpg

Mainline Preserved

20200529_093143.jpg.7d2dce199d208eac7372144ac79369d4.jpg

It's only 2 down on the Mainline preserved version and 3 down on the Construction/Mainline 1996 version. But where Heljan have put it 3 down it doesn't line up with the front so something isn't right dimensionally with the body side features.

As I'm putting a Construction logo on one side at least it will be slightly less wrong, but the Mainline preserved side is more akin to Mainline 1996. Is it supposed to be modelled as preserved?

• Like 1