At last some new 33s

owentherail

9 hours ago, Lyddrail said:

Rich,

Thank you, you have made it clearer. I agree the side windows are too low. So you just have to get it as best you can for the livery. Getting it correct isn't an option.

Cheers. 

Exactly, we will have to live with it but strange it's taken me about 10 years to notice it! It's still a great model, I'm up to 12 now but having to be careful with these higher prices, gone are the £39 Hattons bargains!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hi everyone,

I phoned John & Shelagh at Crafty Hobbies in Barrow-in-Furness yesterday just before 1pm to pay for a pair of 33’s they had in for me and they arrived before 12 today. Absolutely outstanding service. I had the WCRC release on order but having seen 33021 in its post office red livery decided to get that to, just because I like it. 

Both are cracking locos and run nice and smooth.

Cheers

Mark

On 23/05/2020 at 16:13, TomScrut said:

Having now done a bit more research into transfers of the logo, as to begin with it seemed there wasn't anything available (seems the 33s had a uniquely small Mainline logo, I presume to fit between windows), a logo on a 4mm 37 is 18x27.5mm according to Fox Transfers' website. So I have asked them if a 2mm one is about the same size as the 4mm 33 at approximately 8.5x13mm assuming Heljan scaled it right. If it's something like I would expect it to work fine as I aren't going to care to within a mm or so I don't think!

20200523_185742.jpg.68ccd994284e6947bf594db7c431e18d.jpg

20200523_185835.jpg.c9cb1b70ce538bdd59004da6013e0eec.jpg

Fox have told me "F2910 woud be 8.5mm tall x 13.75mm" meaning I am going to give them a go!

EDIT I found out before ordering F2910 are for blue locos so won't work.

F2913/2 are the nearest Fox do

https://fox-transfers.co.uk/transfers/mainline-freight-logos-numbering-data-panels-class-58-60-locos

These should work out to be 9x14.5mm so slightly bigger than on the loco now.

Edited by TomScrut

Today received the O gauge 33030 in EWS via DPD which was ordered from Hatton’s yesterday. Credit where it’s due it was a rapid dispatch and packed well.

Upon opening the box I discovered there was a cab handrail missing and this was lay at the bottom of the box. Disappointing for sure but what a lovely model.

Got in touch with Hattons who swiftly arranged for a returns label. Asked the guy I spoke to if I paid for another one there and then (refund the original when received back) could he try and get it posted today for me. Unfortunately he wasn't able to do this as it was after 14:00 which was a shame.

Sure enough I’ve received my returns label no fuss and the model is on it’s way back for a refund. I’ve ordered one from Rails of Sheffield on next day delivery and pray for better luck lol

3EDD3C03-65BF-4D7A-93D2-D32B71EB561F.jpeg

Transfers have arrived, comparison with the Heljan logo for reference and showing how tight they will be in the space.20200604_175440.jpg.6c6bb476de2278e394d93311e2cce0d6.jpg

Slightly bigger than what is already on the loco as expected.

20200604_175529.jpg.67e306323fad9d602542b121cfd58282.jpg

Will be a very tight fit if it goes!

20200604_175423.jpg.897a497dd73ffaacf47c23868f8ad50e.jpg

Bit better here but still tight. Not sure if I will do this side but I probably will as it will bug me one logo being bigger than the other.

What does everyone reckon? Will it look silly them being slightly bigger?

I decided I was going to do it.

Logo applied to where it should be

20200604_212428.jpg.02f4829faa1b42b11fb60a8d25658142.jpg

A bit on the large side but at least it's in the right place. First transfer I have ever done, took me two attempts though.

20200604_212407.jpg.8189a785cf229f0f76263f2e6b13e4a8.jpg

Other logo T cutted off. Has left a glossy finish as expected. Nameplates laid on just to get a feel for where they should go.

I don't have an airbrush so any advice on the best way to improve the glossy finish? Will brushing varnish on look naff?

Also I presume just a generic pot of blue paint will correct the incorrect colour on the spitfire plate?

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Rattle can of Matt acrylic varnish from humbrol or similar before you put plates on, 

id suggest maskol the windows and spray the whole side to get consistent finish . Sometimes takes several coats but beware as too many gives a whitish tinge.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 12/06/2020 at 21:30, Gary H said:

Purely out of interest, did they correct the problem with the roofs on these 33's??

Which problem? The answer is confusingly yes and no.

The original 33/0 had the incorrect roof profile which was corrected on the revised release. However, the revised release did introduce some over prominent panel lines (for want of a better word) on the roof but at least the roof had the correct profile. Something the 33/1s and 33/2s always had.

Then some of the current releases inexplicably re-introduced the flat roofed version. I say inexplicably as Heljan corrected it - presumably due to customer feedback and reviews -  and now on some models have brought it back. 

Other models in the latest batch of releases still have the corrected roof profile but still have the over prominent panel lines.

I do not know why Heljan did not bin the flat roof 33/0 as they have a correctly profiled replacement. I cannot see, for example, Bachmann bringing back the original 37 molds or the 47 with the 57 bogies.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Maybe the roof is a separate part of the tool, and someone in the factory used the wrong roof part for some of these recent releases?

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, BR Blue said:

I do not know why Heljan did not bin the flat roof 33/0 as they have a correctly profiled replacement. I cannot see, for example, Bachmann bringing back the original 37 molds or the 47 with the 57 bogies.

Because it's an asset with a significant value and writing it off before its naturally depreciated, would have a negative impact on the companies balance sheet. The easy way to spot the earlier release before buying is it has two moulded inspection hatches below the radiator grills, the new tooling has these printed on.

AFAIK only sultan br blue is the old tooling in the current batch of new releases. 

Edited by pheaton

• RMweb Gold

That would be the one, interesting its out of stock at guagemaster so not sure when rails will be getting theres...

Can anyone confirm if the lighting has been upgraded to Leds???? Gaugemaster state leds but id be very surprised if this was the case. 

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, pheaton said:

That would be the one, interesting its out of stock at guagemaster so not sure when rails will be getting theres...

Can anyone confirm if the lighting has been upgraded to Leds???? Gaugemaster state leds but id be very surprised if this was the case. 

Everything I've seen so far suggests the chassis itself is completely unchanged therefore still bulbs.