At last some new 33s

owentherail

3 hours ago, pheaton said:

Because it's an asset with a significant value and writing it off before its naturally depreciated, would have a negative impact on the companies balance sheet.

Even though i's knowingly wrong, and there's a correct replacement? I wonder what effect releasing known, fixed errors has on the company's reputation and balance sheet.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, truffy said:

Even though i's knowingly wrong, and there's a correct replacement? I wonder what effect releasing known, fixed errors has on the company's reputation and balance sheet.

Clearly not a lot given shops appear to ge stocking and selling out of them....the second the model is released from the warehouse its been paid for...straight away the tooling has made money it wouldn't have made if it had been dispised of

12 hours ago, Damo666 said:

Anybody know why the EWS 33030 is so popular and nearly sold out everywhere? Seems to have flown off the shelves very quickly, most stockists sold-out.

I was after this one too, but struggling to find any. Anything EWS sells well. Also, as it spent much time in Scotland (in EWS livery) it will attract the large Scottish modelling market. I remember seeing it around the North East when it was based in Aberdeen. The 33s were rare in Scotland, adding to this one's appeal.

The new tooling has a glowing review in the July issue of ModelRail yet sone example have already sold out. I guess Heljan seriously underestimated the demand. Hopefully they will produce a second batch, even if it's a slightly weathered example to keep it different.

Perhaps Heljan will also improve this retool for future models to fix the new issues (roof panel, printed on access hatches, bulbs instead of LEDs etc).

1 hour ago, scottrains29 said:

I was after this one too, but struggling to find any. Anything EWS sells well. Also, as it spent much time in Scotland (in EWS livery) it will attract the large Scottish modelling market. I remember seeing it around the North East when it was based in Aberdeen. The 33s were rare in Scotland, adding to this one's appeal.

The new tooling has a glowing review in the July issue of ModelRail yet sone example have already sold out. I guess Heljan seriously underestimated the demand. Hopefully they will produce a second batch, even if it's a slightly weathered example to keep it different.

Perhaps Heljan will also improve this retool for future models to fix the new issues (roof panel, printed on access hatches, bulbs instead of LEDs etc).

I was holding off for funds to replenish and aiming for a purchase just before the suppliers up their price to RRP, hoping to buy within the  nominal 6 week lower launch price. Then I got an email from Rails that the 33s were selling fast. Thinking this was just marketing pressure I checked and, sure enough, the EWS wasn't available. Checked the usual suspects last night (Rails, Hattons, Cheltenham, Gaugemanster, Kernow etc) but none available. Olivia's has it for £10+ above RRP so thanks but 'No Thanks'.

Found TTC Diecast have it in stock for £126.65 + P&P.

https://www.ttcdiecast.com/Heljan-3456-class-33-ews-redgold-33030---oo-gauge-139483-p.asp

Colletts (I've found them to be a pleasure to buy from in the past) say it's in stock at £126.65 and free P&P, but adding it to the basket results in a error 404 Page not found .

https://www.collettsmodelshop.co.uk/product-category/model-railways-2/oo-gauge/Heljan-oo-gauge/diesel-electric-locomotives-Heljan-oo-gauge/all-in-stock-diesel-electric-locomotives-Heljan-oo-gauge/

Might be worth giving them a call to check

HTH

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, pheaton said:

That would be the one, interesting its out of stock at guagemaster so not sure when rails will be getting theres...

Can anyone confirm if the lighting has been upgraded to Leds???? Gaugemaster state leds but id be very surprised if this was the case. 

I’m not sure that 3441 is ‘the one’. 

Sultan and Eastleigh were both advertised (and still available to pre-order) with the 34xx catalogue numbers (which implies new body tool) at many places. 

However, two ‘Gaugemaster collection’ 33s have been released with the same numbers and liveries, except with weathering, under Gaugemaster catalogue numbers, and using the old tool. I’m none the wiser on whether the 34xx versions (which are also listed as slightly more expensive despite the weathering on the Gaugemaster versions) are still going to be released. 

I did try emailing Heljan but the email bounced. 

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, pheaton said:

the photo on show at rails shows a weathered sultan but with the older tooling, as evidenced by the moulded inspection panels below the rad grills

Fair enough, but I’m still not sure that it’s been released, and despite the photo, the catalogue number would suggest v2 or v3 mould (the v1 mould has 33xx catalogue numbers). Link:

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/39237/Heljan-3441-oo-gauge-class-33-025-sultan-br-blue-light-grey-roof-diesel-locomotive

the one that has been released (with v1 mould) is GM4250102:

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/39548/gaugemaster-collection-gm4240102-oo-gauge-class-33-025-sultan-br-blue-lt-grey-roof-diesel-locomotive-lightly-weathered-

similar conundrum for Eastleigh. The version released:

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/39547/gaugemaster-collection-gm4240101-oo-gauge-class-33-008-eastleigh-br-green-fye-diesel-locomotive-lightly-weathered-

the other one not yet? released:

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/39238/Heljan-3442-oo-gauge-class-33-008-eastleigh-br-green-1980s-fye-

6 hours ago, Damo666 said:

I was holding off for funds to replenish and aiming for a purchase just before the suppliers up their price to RRP, hoping to buy within the  nominal 6 week lower launch price. Then I got an email from Rails that the 33s were selling fast. Thinking this was just marketing pressure I checked and, sure enough, the EWS wasn't available. Checked the usual suspects last night (Rails, Hattons, Cheltenham, Gaugemanster, Kernow etc) but none available. Olivia's has it for £10+ above RRP so thanks but 'No Thanks'.

https://www.ttcdiecast.com/Heljan-3456-class-33-ews-redgold-33030---oo-gauge-139483-p.asp

Colletts (I've found them to be a pleasure to buy from in the past) say it's in stock at £126.65 and free P&P, but adding it to the basket results in a error 404 Page not found .

https://www.collettsmodelshop.co.uk/product-category/model-railways-2/oo-gauge/Heljan-oo-gauge/diesel-electric-locomotives-Heljan-oo-gauge/all-in-stock-diesel-electric-locomotives-Heljan-oo-gauge/

HTH

8 hours ago, scottrains29 said:

I was after this one too, but struggling to find any

@scottrains29 If you are still struggling for an EWS, I've just become aware of another shop with it in stock.

https://www.trainstop.co.uk/3456---33030-ews-redgold-49640-p.asp

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, amwells said:

The 'old tool' ones are a fair bit cheaper too. Could it be that they were made in error and as a result are being sold at an advantageous price whilst versions from the 'correct'' tool are awaited? There are a number of examples of the wrong tooling having been used in far eastern factories due to communication errors (my favourite being the Honrby 'B' sets produced with 'B4' bogies, an understandable but annoying error if a factory employee was looking for the correct tool).

Edited by andyman7
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, andyman7 said:

The 'old tool' ones are a fair bit cheaper too. Could it be that they were made in error and as a result are being sold at an advantageous price whilst versions from the 'correct'' tool are awaited?

You could be right, but a few weeks back I was idly wondering how they might have come about and came up with a different scenario.

It's all hypothesis, I know, but I wonder if the release of the Gaugemaster Collection 33s using old-tooling bodies is not unrelated to the fact that Gaugemaster have just (from March this year) taken on the Heljan spare parts distribution from Howes.  It's easy to imagine, at the same time as the spares contract was being negotiated, a deal being done to 'do a favour' by building up a batch of old type bodies that were taking up space and gathering dust in a warehouse somewhere into complete locos - especially if the finish could be modified with a bit of weathering (therefore different from other releases of those identities) and they were sold at distinctly lower prices under a different, slightly distanced brand, rather than as straight Heljan product.  Unfortunately if the plan was indeed something like that, the superior observational powers of RMweb saw through the ruse straight away...

What still doesn't add up, if what happened was actually something like the above, is why Heljan would risk undermining their own new releases by making the same locos, with inferior body mouldings, for Gaugemaster at lower prices (but not well-distanced Hornby Railroad type lower prices).  What have I missed?  Or did Gaugemaster 'make them an offer they couldn't refuse'?

Just to prove Heljan's own goal, if that's really what happened, as someone who was born and bred in 33 territory and who is more relaxed about the old Heljan 33 roof profile than some, I bought the Gaugemaster Collection ones.  I won't therefore be buying the more expensive, but admittedly better profiled, Heljan latest-tooling ones.     

Pete T.

Edited by PJT
Missed out 'if'. And I proof read it so carefully before posting!
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 14/06/2020 at 08:57, pheaton said:

Because it's an asset with a significant value and writing it off before its naturally depreciated, would have a negative impact on the companies balance sheet. The easy way to spot the earlier release before buying is it has two moulded inspection hatches below the radiator grills, the new tooling has these printed on.

AFAIK only sultan br blue is the old tooling in the current batch of new releases. 

There would have been a cost to replacing the tooling so why did they replace it? Also it was a few years ago too and they had done a few runs with the original tooling. I doubt it owed them much. Surely there would have been an extra cost for using two different molds in the latest production run. They have better tooling so why not use it? I would expect sales would be higher had the used the newer tooling. Personally would have bought Sultan if it was in the newer tooling.

The original 33/0 was around for a while before they decided to replace it. Presumably due to the negative impact of the model on their reputation?  The theory floated above that they had some old molds lying around and wanted to get rid of makes sense to me.

What I find so odd is that when they have gone to the trouble of improving or fixing your error (although some aspects such as the grills were a step backward) why, a few years later bring back the older flawed model? I cannot imagine we will see Bachmann bring back some of their older class 37 versions, their class 47 with class 57 bogies or their class 150 with the solid black interior. Manufactures tend to respond to criticism and improve their models which is great for us all.  Hornby often consign older models to their Railroad range when they bring out  a better version. All of this is why I find the Heljan decision to re-introduce, the late but not lamented flat roofed 33 a strange decision.

Of the recent releases, the green 33008 also uses the old tooling.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, BR Blue said:

There would have been a cost to replacing the tooling so why did they replace it? Also it was a few years ago too and they had done a few runs with the original tooling. I doubt it owed them much. Surely there would have been an extra cost for using two different molds in the latest production run. They have better tooling so why not use it? I would expect sales would be higher had the used the newer tooling. Personally would have bought Sultan if it was in the newer tooling.

The original 33/0 was around for a while before they decided to replace it. Presumably due to the negative impact of the model on their reputation?  The theory floated above that they had some old molds lying around and wanted to get rid of makes sense to me.

What I find so odd is that when they have gone to the trouble of improving or fixing your error (although some aspects such as the grills were a step backward) why, a few years later bring back the older flawed model? I cannot imagine we will see Bachmann bring back some of their older class 37 versions, their class 47 with class 57 bogies or their class 150 with the solid black interior. Manufactures tend to respond to criticism and improve their models which is great for us all.  Hornby often consign older models to their Railroad range when they bring out  a better version. All of this is why I find the Heljan decision to re-introduce, the late but not lamented flat roofed 33 a strange decision.

Of the recent releases, the green 33008 also uses the old tooling.

I can't answer that im not Heljan :)

However....I did wonder since the artwork and tampo print setup already exists for "sultan" and is based on the older shell (which is dimensionally different) that they didn't want to spend the money to update it to the new shell....but im guessing.....like you I can't understand why they would re-release the old shell....perhaps they did have a large number of shells lying around and wanted to get rid....

• Agree 1

On 14/06/2020 at 15:19, Damo666 said:

HTH

I've learnt from previous batches (NSE 33114 and Blue 33056) that if you want a particular livered 33 don't hang around just buy it! They seem to sell out very quickly now, much quicker than Bachmann and Hornby which leads me to think they're producing much lower volumes. Luckily I was able to get the 2 aforementioned locos before they sold out but not before I was posting a similar post to yours!

Edited by SouthernMafia
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Richard Croft said:

Sorry if it’s already been discussed, I’ve only dipped in and out of this thread but I just wondered what people’s thoughts are on the factory weathering, this looks terrible to me and surely will lead to complaints? It’s just covered in what looks like finger prints. I know factory weathering isn’t always great but this must be one of the weirdest weathering jobs I’ve seen.

Richard 

Go look at the one on page 11...think its the same model but the weathering appears slightly different but equally dreadful.

id say its more the fronts that hurt the weathering on the BR blue one, it literally looks like someone dipped their finger in IPA/white spirit and pressed it against the front of the model, think I'll wait for the price to come down on that one if ever I was to buy it as the weathering isnt gret

NL

Edited by NickL2008

2 hours ago, Richard Croft said:

Sorry if it’s already been discussed, I’ve only dipped in and out of this thread but I just wondered what people’s thoughts are on the factory weathering, this looks terrible to me and surely will lead to complaints? It’s just covered in what looks like finger prints. I know factory weathering isn’t always great but this must be one of the weirdest weathering jobs I’ve seen.

36B746E4-1BBD-4876-9DFB-169DE9D4196F.jpeg

Richard 

The treatment of weathering is a very personal thing and what works for one person doesn't work for another. It looks like the weathering here is supposed to represent a dirtied front that has then beem wiped clean in places - so not the conventional misting of dirt that generally passes for weathering. I wonder if it was worked on from a photograph? I think this model might be a Marmite one but I'm waiting to see one in the flesh to make my mind up.

Now I didn't know (having not read this thread) that there were roof errors on the Class 33/0s...

I just opened the box on my recent (ahem)Bay bargain Heljan 33 D6653 in green with full yellow ends, and the two hatches below the side grills are moulded, so that means it must be the incorrect roof profile...

My other Heljan purchase (a while ago) was a "limited edition" all green 33 D6583 ... as it is in the display case in the loft, I cannot easily get to it to check (another way of saying I ain't going in the loft during a thunderstorm!) but can anyone say if that is  another "wrong roofer"?!

I guess my question is - how badly wrong is the error?  Will I, as an "impressionist" modeller, notice the difference?

Although D6583 cost me £98 from eBay, I was surprised to win D6653 in an auction (rather than BIN) at what I still think was a bargain price of £62 ...  so two sweet running Heljan 33s at an average price of £80 each!

Will I find a green 33 with a small yellow panel for such good prices?  Or will that model - when I acquire it - show up the other two?  (This from the guy looking at doctoring up a Triang Blue Pullman!)

Steve S

On 16/06/2020 at 21:42, SteveyDee68 said:

Now I didn't know (having not read this thread) that there were roof errors on the Class 33/0s...

I just opened the box on my recent (ahem)Bay bargain Heljan 33 D6653 in green with full yellow ends, and the two hatches below the side grills are moulded, so that means it must be the incorrect roof profile...

My other Heljan purchase (a while ago) was a "limited edition" all green 33 D6583 ... as it is in the display case in the loft, I cannot easily get to it to check (another way of saying I ain't going in the loft during a thunderstorm!) but can anyone say if that is  another "wrong roofer"?!

I guess my question is - how badly wrong is the error?  Will I, as an "impressionist" modeller, notice the difference?

Although D6583 cost me £98 from eBay, I was surprised to win D6653 in an auction (rather than BIN) at what I still think was a bargain price of £62 ...  so two sweet running Heljan 33s at an average price of £80 each!

Will I find a green 33 with a small yellow panel for such good prices?  Or will that model - when I acquire it - show up the other two?  (This from the guy looking at doctoring up a Triang Blue Pullman!)

Steve S

Others may correct this, but I think D6583 is correct - it is a Kernow limited edition. IIRC somewhere in the original 33 thread is a reference to the last few of the standard bodied examples coming out with the later roof  arrangements in terms of panels and exhaust ports, with some photos to prove it. I have one so I hope this is so! After that you're into the Slim bodied ones, and common consensus seemed to be that these models were fine from the off. The relevant topic is "New Heljan 33/0's have arrived", started in 2010.

I think you mean D6553 rather than an imaginary 37, and I'm sorry I've no idea about this one.

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson
original 33 thread, not this one, and to add reference
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

I think you mean D6553 rather than an imaginary 37, and I'm sorry I've no idea about this one.

John.

John - you are absolutely right, it is D6553 ... I'll blame that typo on the blurred eyes from lack of sleep from treating the dog's eyes every two hours for the past three days!  (Forget Groundhog Day - I have lost all sense if time completely!)

Steve S

Thinking of getting this one, https://hattonshobbies.com/products/class-33-0-d6540-in-br-green-with-small-yellow-ends?variant=12518916620382 does anyone know if this is the new or old tooling?  I'm no expert on these engines I just like them and the Heljans are just so much better than my deceased Lima.  Also in the 'bits' that come with them do they have a 'pullman rubbing bar'. Thanks

Edited by Guest

48 minutes ago, Lyddrail said:

That is the later body with the different exhaust as it should have. 33/0s don't have a pullman rubbing bar and is not therefore included.

Cheers.

Thanks, I'll stick an order in.

• RMweb Gold

Just to added to the earlier discussion earlier on  in this topic. Ben Jones has said, as part of a wider discussion in the class 45 topic, that the 33/0s with the old tooling were done for Gaugemaster at a lower retail price.  This appears to be at Gaugemaster's request to keep the price down. He also said it is unlikely the old tooling will be used again. 

• Informative/Useful 3