At last some new 33s

owentherail

Anyone noticed the back to backs being on the large side? I haven't had my calipers on mine yet but the wheels seem tight in corners and on points.

I will share pics of my (very glossy) 33063 before long as I have got it as preserved as far as I can be bothered to go with it for now.

On 22/06/2020 at 17:25, BR Blue said:

Just to added to the earlier discussion earlier on  in this topic. Ben Jones has said, as part of a wider discussion in the class 45 topic, that the 33/0s with the old tooling were done for Gaugemaster at a lower retail price.  This appears to be at Gaugemaster's request to keep the price down. He also said it is unlikely the old tooling will be used again. 

Thanks for the tip, caught up on the 45 thread (that was fun!) and good to see Ben's input.

Hopefully we'll see 33008 on the new 33/0 headlight tooling in the coming years, it's just crying out to be done in the later green livery with SYWP.

Well hopefully Ben can get on here and explain why Heljan got the colour wrong on Preserved D6515 and tooling incorrect on WCRC 33029 cab ends not to mention various other errors in this new 33/0 range including god awful weathering.

Edited by classy52

5 hours ago, owentherail said:

They may of 'improved' the 33 but the couplings are still droopy and crap !!! 

I fitted buckeyes on mine (except the 33/1 which has buckeye one end and roco type the other for push/pull work on the 4-TC), no problems with droop there. I have an SR CCT van and a couple of converter wagans to allow them to interact with trains and it works quite well. That said, a Heljan 27 (which I thought was essentially the same chassis) suffers droop even with a buckeye.

My Heljan 33s span all toolings done to date (original 33/0, revamped 33/0, revamped again latest 33/0, 33/1 and 33/2) and all nine  perform exactly the same to a high standard.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, owentherail said:

They may of 'improved' the 33 but the couplings are still droopy and crap !!! 

But the brake fittings, screw links etc are factory fitted.

Your choice of alternate coupling starts from just 50p.

The price of a Heljan diesel is pretty competitive too.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Hi All,

Having just bought myself the weathered construction sub-sector class 33, I am going to 'chip this up'.

The question I have to this very knowledgable group is.......

I have an old Hornby 8 pin chip purchased a few years ago & when I added sound to one of my class 60's this became surplus to requirements. Obviously not wanting to throw this away I have kept it for a future project.

So can this be used on my new Heljan class 33?

I look forward to your feedback.

Thanks.

On 23/06/2020 at 22:07, Butler Henderson said:

Gaugemasters use of their own ref no.s did not help - the correct bodied 33/0s all have Heljan 34xx ref no.s

Thanks for this definitive answer.

So my D6583, ref 3361 is old tooling, my D6507 (white side grille) ref 34101 is new. Next time I get them out I'll put them side by side to see the difference!

John.

1 hour ago, John Tomlinson said:

Thanks for this definitive answer.

So my D6583, ref 3361 is old tooling, my D6507 (white side grille) ref 34101 is new. Next time I get them out I'll put them side by side to see the difference!

John.

D6507 should have finer detail (etched grills, footsteps, handrails) and improved body shape.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CB Rail said:

I have an old Hornby 8 pin chip purchased a few years ago & when I added sound to one of my class 60's this became surplus to requirements. Obviously not wanting to throw this away I have kept it for a future project.

Heljan locos usually have a high stall current which most likely will burn out that decoder.

4 hours ago, CB Rail said:

Hi All,

Having just bought myself the weathered construction sub-sector class 33, I am going to 'chip this up'.

The question I have to this very knowledgable group is.......

I look forward to your feedback.

Thanks.

Is it a Loksound V4 chip? if so and if reblown it should be fine.

• RMweb Gold
On 28/06/2020 at 10:40, Butler Henderson said:

Droopy couplings cane be addressed by slipping an appropriately sized piece of plastic or card between the underneath of the coupling and the inside bottom of the NEM mount - should not be necessary but not exactly a major issue.

I just use Hornby couplings instead of the “step down” Heljan ones.

• RMweb Gold

Well after a weekend in the works, my 33111 now has fully independent red/white (LED) headcodes and sound, driven from a 21 pin decoder. Would have been much easier if Heljan did it!

Just got to fit cab lights when the LEDs I have on order arrive.

Edit: next up 33056, which will also gain independent marker lights so I can run with them on or off.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Like 1

Hi,

Just wondered if anyone has any information/thoughts on the BR blue 33 010 which comes in the 1095 train pack (with the grey tankers)? I know the weathering isn't great, but it seems to be the only 'banger blue' - no headlight or cant rail stripes - version available at the moment. It's been discussed on here about the different panels below the grill - moulded or printed - but this loco has nothing at all below the grill, which is surely an error? Just hope the overall shape news is good as I've already ordered a pack!!

Thanks,

Mike

Hi All,

As a follow on from my previous message on Sunday concerning installing an older Hornby DCC chip in my recently purchased class 33,042 in weathered Constriction sub-sector livery.

Well this evening I thought I would ‘give it a go’.

The result?

A resounding success for me!

F94D94F1-3F2B-4CE0-9E27-E8E8CCAB2D59.jpeg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Lyddrail said:

Regards loco 33010 the printed panels would be covered by the weathering, so would not be visible.

Cheers.

Have to disagree there, the weathering on 33010 is not so heavy so as to obscure the panels (if printed) - they just are not there. 33012 has heavier weathering and you can clearly see the panels through it.

Roy

• Agree 2

Here is my attempt at 33063 as preserved.

1. I had to remove the Mainline logo on both sides with T cut and replace with transfers. This is because on the side in the top pic Heljan have put the logo in the wrong place as discussed before

2. I was over zealous with the T cut so had to try and cover back over with paint. Neither Phoenix or Railmatch were perfect matches so I had to mix a bit. Applied with a brush (not ideal I know).

3. Transfers are not the right shade and not quite the right size but better than being inconsistent or being in the wrong place. Transfers were for an N gauge loco as they didnt do them for a OO 33.

4. Again over zealous with the gloss varnish. I wanted to try gloss as they are generally very shiny in preservation, but the thickness has messed the colour up slightly. I concentrated on the sides so that the roof kept a more matted look.

5. Nameplates, BR plates and depot plates are from Fox, the Spitfire plate needed painting in a darker blue

6. Bogie details painted as per prototype.

Criticisms

1. My painting, need to get better in terms of masking etc. I found if I masked it the paint formed an edge where the tape was hence why I tired with a steady hand.

2. Not waiting to get some fine wet and dry to make the finish better where I painted

3. Too much varnish, not perfectly even and I did also catch one or two bits of fluff under it.

4. Plates and transfers not quite the right size but good enough, I am happy with them

5. Painted over the black window surrounds by accident, when I get some black paint I may put that right although I aren't too concerned about it now.

One day I might try and improve on it but I am happy enough with it for my first attempt at "modelling".

1998064999_2020-07-0114_38_27.jpg.9abf070b95a75c6491691e39a9ce59da.jpg763580583_2020-07-0114_38_21.jpg.db48f88c83f463d1078cf34c3db34b76.jpg1566287408_2020-07-0114_38_16.jpg.e69d5b3af796befca3802a9191d5c0d3.jpg75212218_2020-07-0114_38_10.jpg.4174c290c436ba7c3dc39fa8c2136102.jpg

Prototype pics from Flickr:

33063 & 37714

• Like 10

On 22/06/2020 at 18:25, BR Blue said:

Just to added to the earlier discussion earlier on  in this topic. Ben Jones has said, as part of a wider discussion in the class 45 topic, that the 33/0s with the old tooling were done for Gaugemaster at a lower retail price.  This appears to be at Gaugemaster's request to keep the price down. He also said it is unlikely the old tooling will be used again. 

I wonder why it would result in a lower price? It is not like as if there are more bits on the latest 33/0 compared to the previous one. New bits of tooling for sure,  but once the tools are produced, it makes no difference which set you use if the generally assembly and number of bits to assemble are exactly the same.

1 hour ago, JSpencer said:

I wonder why it would result in a lower price? It is not like as if there are more bits on the latest 33/0 compared to the previous one. New bits of tooling for sure,  but once the tools are produced, it makes no difference which set you use if the generally assembly and number of bits to assemble are exactly the same.

Etched grills etc

40 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

Etched grills etc

Both the latest 33/0 with headlight and previous version without have etched grills. From an assembly point of view there is utterly no difference. On the other hand, using 2 different sets of tools for the body will increase production time. Unless Heljan gave Gaugemaster their very old first run 33/0 which has a few less parts and etches, but who in 2020 wants a special edition old tooling with the flattened roof that can be picked up cheaply off a certain auction site? It would be like doing a special edition using Hornby's old Lima tools....