At last some new 33s

owentherail

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, TomScrut said:

I think the only lights missing are the red headcode lights I think?

By modern standards cab lights are missing also.

As I have said before, mine get changed to 21pin with all lights needed with independent control.

Roy

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

By modern standards cab lights are missing also.

As I have said before, mine get changed to 21pin with all lights needed with independent control.

Roy

Yeah I think once I get chance I will convert mine to LED and do a bit more.

Bugs me that they insist of shoving out 8 pin stuff still with no independent lighting control.

Thanks for trying to help Roy..

Well may help others but I was resigned to the fact of having to take back on Monday. Anyway lesson learned, keep persisting and thinking, you may find a solution. 

I tried fiddling with blink settings and brightness settings on the 36-566, no joy. Changed chip around, no joy. Checked bulbs. Suddenly one end worked when I put plug back in terminal. Bingo. But other end still no joy. Checked other terminals, Bingo - it had been inserted in the wrong terminal. All working!! Hallelujah!!  

I'm presuming the spare terminals can be used for a red tail light, perhaps..? 

Edited by Marcoblanco
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes, the ones marked R on the PCB can take the red lights.

Used to be able to buy the bulbs from Howes as a spare but I don't see them listed since Gaugemaster took over.

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Marcoblanco said:

For 100 quid plus model in 2020" all lights shouldve been done. 

your 20 years too late..

Clan Line was nearly £100 back in year 2000, it doesn’t have lights then, still doesn’t now.

last year people paid over £120 for a 5 wheeled coach, with a distinctly un-european paint job, one of those wheels was just a moulded lump.

Heljans models are quite reasonable.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1

For modern stock lights are a must but honestly, for anything 1980s or before I find it frankly ridiculous that they turn up lighting up like christmas trees. Apart from the high intensity headlights that a few locos had from the mid 70s the lights were barely visible except at night. As for cab lights, their use in general running is so minimal as to be little more than a gimmick. And don't get me started on pairs of bright LED tail lights on diesels that had only one fairly dim tail lamp lit at a time, and only if running light. I'm quite content with the Heljan approach in general....

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, andyman7 said:

For modern stock lights are a must but honestly, for anything 1980s or before I find it frankly ridiculous that they turn up lighting up like christmas trees. Apart from the high intensity headlights that a few locos had from the mid 70s the lights were barely visible except at night. As for cab lights, their use in general running is so minimal as to be little more than a gimmick. And don't get me started on pairs of bright LED tail lights on diesels that had only one fairly dim tail lamp lit at a time, and only if running light. I'm quite content with the Heljan approach in general....

And for those of us who have yard based layouts where cab lights are very commonly used? This hobby has many different types of layout. For me, the cablights are not a gimmick thank you :nono:

Edit: neither are working tail liights, yard mode etc. 

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

10 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

For me, the cablights are not a gimmick thank you

But I think it's important that they are switchable, ideally at each end. Annoys me about my Hornby HSTs that they have cab lights on when driving

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

But I think it's important that they are switchable, ideally at each end. Annoys me about my Hornby HSTs that they have cab lights on when driving

Oh yes, everything should be independently switched. That is my one annoyance with the lighting on my sound Hattons 66. Why was there no yard mode when it is only a decoder setting change?

Roy

20 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Oh yes, everything should be independently switched. That is my one annoyance with the lighting on my sound Hattons 66. Why was there no yard mode when it is only a decoder setting change?

Roy

I don't have sound on my 66 so I programmed the LokPilot 5 myself to do what I want it to. I have it so that markers/tail are on one function (which is yard mode I think?), Then day and night on their own buttons too.

Edited by TomScrut

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I don't have sound on my 66 so I programmed the LokPilot 5 myself to do what I want it to. I have it so that markers/tail are on one function (which is yard mode I think?), Then day and night on their own buttons too.

Yard mode front/rear lights and no headlight, so it sounds like you have done that. 

You also need parking mode with red both ends for a depot. 

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

You also need parking mode with red both ends for a depot

Can't recall if I have done that or not. I don't have a depot as such so I don't worry about that. I have done that on passenger units for parking in bay platforms though

11 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Yes that's daft. It is better not to have cab lights if they are not switchable!

• Agree 2

Just some advice on the accessories pack of bits, what applies to 33012: do all bits fit to the model or are they dependent on loco.. I can't seem to find pics of 012.. Were snow ploughs fitted, for example. 

Edited by Marcoblanco

Guest Half-full
5 hours ago, Marcoblanco said:

Yes, thanks.. Interesting pic at Salisbury in 82 with no radio pods.. When were these fitted u wonder

Radio roof pods were fitted from the late 80's (maybe early 90's) onward

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Kaput said:

Is it just me or was the lastest run of these very small? Took a random notion to see about getting D6515 only to find its completely sold out already.

Many of the recent 33 releases have sold out quickly, not just this run.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
Typo
  • Like 1