At last some new 33s

owentherail

• RMweb Premium
On 10/04/2021 at 21:10, Gray69 said:

Of all the issues raised with the model, I would have thought that inconsistent liveries should not be one of them.

I have just got 3439 33009 in Dutch to go with my 3452 33026 Seafire model, and the yellow band is a different shade (it is not as obvious in the attached picture as it is in real life)

I know that all manufactures seem to struggle with what colours were used on the Dutch livery, I have a Dapol 73, the Heljan 33, some Hornby and Lima Seacows, Hornby Rudd and Dapol Turbots and Grampus, and they all have different shades of grey and yellow on them. But the same loco from the same manufacture having different paint colours is poor in my book.

33009 will have to be returned, but does anybody know if 3433 33002 or 3436 33047 has the same shade of yellow as the 33026 model.

1286078024_33Dutch.jpg.be41e413780e82cea637eeeceeb9bb8a.jpg

Notwithstanding the other comments about 33009 and 33026 being different shades of yellow and the different depth of yellow band on the prototype, looking at this,photo,on my iPad (so not scientific) if I was keeping one only it would be 33009. The yellow looks closer to what I remember (33026 is too canary) and the bottom of the yellow band on 33026 almost touches the windows so too high.

Edited by brushman47544

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

Notwithstanding the other comments about 33009 and 33026 being different shades of yellow and the different depth of yellow band on the prototype, looking at this,photo,on my iPad (so not scientific) if I was keeping one only it would be 33009. The yellow looks closer to what I remember (33026 is too canary) and the bottom of the yellow band on 33026 almost touches the windows so too high.

As I have raised before, the yellow band is perfectly right, sadly, the windows aren't. Look at a prototype photo and compare the band with the door handles, vents etc.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

• 1 month later...

Did Heljan have a bit of a laugh at the modeller with the class 33. Did they try to get each model livery wrong in some way.

After my issue with different versions of the Dutch livery, I have added 33116 in Grey and 33033 in RfC to my fleet.

The grey on 33116 looks far to dark.

The upper grey band on 33033 looks also far too dark. Looking at pictures of other Rf liveried 33's, the upper grey band looks lighter on most of them, but knowing Heljan, the are all probably different shades

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Gray69 said:

Did Heljan have a bit of a laugh at the modeller with the class 33. Did they try to get each model livery wrong in some way.

After my issue with different versions of the Dutch livery, I have added 33116 in Grey and 33033 in RfC to my fleet.

The grey on 33116 looks far to dark.

The upper grey band on 33033 looks also far too dark. Looking at pictures of other Rf liveried 33's, the upper grey band looks lighter on most of them, but knowing Heljan, the are all probably different shades

Indeed, the upper band on 33033 should not, in my opinion, be the same as the roof colour - it always looks lighter and I am not convinced by the argument I have seen that it was just weathering. The upper grey band is also too deep, probably caused by the engine room windows on a Heljan 33 not being quite in the right place (too low).

For me, the number is also fractionally too high, possible caused by the  arrows of indecision being slightly too big and/or misplaced.

This is a good photo to show these issues (not mine): 33033 on Flickr

Roy

• 3 weeks later...

It says deco samples have now been approved. I really hope they have improved the weathering on 33025 compared to the last year's questionable weathered ones, especially around the cab front.

The earlier sample of 33025 had a few issues including the livery being too bold and warning flashes in wrong position. Hopefully these have been fixed.

Looking forward to this one joining my EWS 33, for my Scottish layout.

• RMweb Premium

Both Rails and Kernow said July too.

I have a WCRC one on order. First ever Heljan loco (I'm relatively new to the hobby).

Mainly ordered because I travelled behind it a few years ago at Swanage (on one of the Wareham trains).

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, SouthernMafia said:

I don't know what press release Hattons have read but they are advising the 33s are due in July (and the O gauge 50s) :/

Q4 suits me much better.

47 minutes ago, Gremlin99 said:

Both Rails and Kernow said July too.

I have a WCRC one on order. First ever Heljan loco (I'm relatively new to the hobby).

Mainly ordered because I travelled behind it a few years ago at Swanage (on one of the Wareham trains).

Heljan advised the trade of the due dates this week, that’s why. 

54 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

Heljan advised the trade of the due dates this week, that’s why. 

Yes but in the June progress update on this forum it says this:

"Class 33/0 - new batch deco samples approved. Q4 2021 release"

So is it July or Q4 ?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, SouthernMafia said:

Yes but in the June progress update on this forum it says this:

"Class 33/0 - new batch deco samples approved. Q4 2021 release"

So is it July or Q4 ?

Having checked, I am now reliably informed that despite their Progress Report and the further delivery information advised to the trade being only a week apart, the later is correct and the Class 33/0s are imminent. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

An update on the Rails website this morning, advises that the new release Class 33s are on their way to them. This must mean they have arrived from China at Heljan in Denmark and are now being dispatched to UK retailers.

On 08/07/2021 at 13:27, SouthernMafia said:

Kernow MRC reporting as having received their stock of 33s. Looking forward to getting 33008 and 33052.

Not yet arrived it seems. Although showing in 'new arrivals' they are showing as 'out of stock' with an expected arrival date of 10 July. I believe Heljan products are imported into Denmark, to their distribution facility, and then distributed to UK retailers, which entails a further customs clearance, where there can be delays. All of the 'oo' GWR railcars are also due from Denmark, so there is going to be a large stock despatch.

27 minutes ago, Paul.Uni said:

To be accurate, they have arrived in Guildford. The models are due in Cornwall very soon.

That's good news, looks like the customs clearance is getting better. I've got 2 railcars and a 33 in this consignment, I was wondering how to spend todays state pension payment, apart from the bills. Still only money.

On 12/04/2021 at 00:37, scottrains29 said:

It will be interesting to see how the forthcoming weathered dutch 33025 looks. The sample model showed quite a bold yellow shade when the real loco had a more faded, washed out yellow for the period modelled at the turn of the century. I've also noticed the middle bodyside warning flash appears to be in the wrong position (it should be to the right of the engine door and lower down) so hopefully they'll fix this on the production run.

I really hope Heljan improve their factory weathering, especially around the cab front. Some of the weathered models from last year looked awful.

Kernow now have pictures up.

Bad news. Looks like Heljan haven't fixed any of the issues. The weathering around the cab front is just as awful as last year's models and doesn't look prototypical at all! Starting to wish I hadn't pre-ordered it now.

Just seen the pics on Rails site, just wondering if the cantrail line above the grill is from a painted sample or that's the finished model. They all look to suffer from the fate as if it's been applied with a cheap paintbrush. It'd be good to know if this is how they'll be?

21 minutes ago, MattG said:

Just seen the pics on Rails site, just wondering if the cantrail line above the grill is from a painted sample or that's the finished model. They all look to suffer from the fate as if it's been applied with a cheap paintbrush. It'd be good to know if this is how they'll be?

It does look a mess, looks as the cantrail line only went as far as grill and then a blind  a  finished it off 

45 minutes ago, MattG said:

Looks better on hattons..... rails are pics supplied by Heljan, which isn't great that they would supply pics like that