At last some new 33s

owentherail

• RMweb Gold

Heres my 33052, I really love these models….

BE51260F-C377-40F9-90FA-2DC520B45D57.jpeg.e15734948bffc7eee6525b1ab7916706.jpeg4E5EBCFE-4BF3-41CB-ADC3-C43F517BAB01.jpeg.13805b0bc22d6abcca70f098d99d75f9.jpeg

unfortunately, 1 lamp iron missing (it seems to be a common Heljan thing), as its my 4th Sulzer to have one missing, fortunately a bit of 0.5mm brass will do the trick.

D1780B58-52B7-48C4-A77F-ECC5A49F9680.jpeg.1d9b41c7c49301375c29c4504ecd2780.jpeg

a lovely rendition, as repainted in 1994, complete with embellishments like yellow lifting lugs, yellow cab window strips etc, blue stars raised above tail lights, blue sole bar. (Note in late 94 one BR Emblem was painted out, but this model is accurate for appearance).

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 6

Ive had posts popping up on my Facebook this week from Hattons advertising two new class 33s from Olivias Trains. One being 33012 'as preserved' as D6515 in BR Green. The other as 33035 in NSE livery.

Both of these have been done by Heljan before, i already have 33035, but i missed out on D6515 as i wasnt happy about the the shade of 'white' around the windows etc which as we all know should be cream.

So my question is, are these Olivia trains models just repeats of what Heljan done, or are they all new? From the pics ive seen, they look exactly the same?

12 hours ago, GEARJAMMER said:

Ive had posts popping up on my Facebook this week from Hattons advertising two new class 33s from Olivias Trains. One being 33012 'as preserved' as D6515 in BR Green. The other as 33035 in NSE livery.

Both of these have been done by Heljan before, i already have 33035, but i missed out on D6515 as i wasnt happy about the the shade of 'white' around the windows etc which as we all know should be cream.

So my question is, are these Olivia trains models just repeats of what Heljan done, or are they all new? From the pics ive seen, they look exactly the same?

Looks like the old molding to me too 

We have on offer currently our Legomanbiffo Class 33 for £105.00 on a V5 ESU Decoder with the Standard Round Speaker people seem to be raving about !!!  And we also have a couple of V4 decoders for even less.   See:

https://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=68&product_id=222

Edited by charliepetty
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, charliepetty said:

We have on offer currently our Legomanbiffo Class 33 for £105.00 on a V5 ESU Decoder with the Standard Round Speaker people seem to be raving about !!!  AWe also have a couple of V4 decoders for even less.   See:

https://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=68&product_id=222

Now if only Heljan did some more 33/0s in TOPS Standard Blue to put such decoders in...

5 hours ago, Ian J. said:

Now if only Heljan did some more 33/0s in TOPS Standard Blue to put such decoders in...

The Function list we have for this is quite comprehensive too:

F0 Lights On / Off (New Fade on/Fade off feature enabled)

F1 Engine On / Off / Multistart with sound fade in / out

F2 Playable High Horn

F3 Playable Low Horn

F4 Buffering Up (when moving slowly) / Coupling Hook (when stationary)

F5 Playable Brake Application (when moving) / Brake Dump (when stationary)

F6 Driver's Door Slam

F7 Compressor

F8 Drive Hold (DriveLock)

F9 Variable Speed Flange Squeal

F10 Despatch Whistle

F11 Guards Right Away Bell  & Optional reply Buzzer

F12 Radiator Fan

F13 Not Used

F14 Exhauster (Two Speed)

F15 Spirax Valves

F16 Not Used

F17 Not Used

F18 Track Detonators (Speed Dependant 3 bang stop)

F19 Push-Pull mode at No1 End (When used with 4TC Unit)

F20 Push-Pull mode at No2 End (When used with 4TC Unit)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 24/07/2021 at 10:47, owentherail said:

Looks like the old molding to me too 

Really? It’s in the new mould catalogue range and has all the detailing from the updated mould?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, owentherail said:

It mite be new mold... mite be old, roof just looks flat in the pic. 

Its the new mould.

The new mould erroneously has both rivets and latches on the roof panels, but its shape is overall better, and the bufferbeam detailing (including step) is much better.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Its the new mould.

The new mould erroneously has both rivets and latches on the roof panels, but its shape is overall better, and the bufferbeam detailing (including step) is much better.

it is the new mould the printed on plates below the radiator grills are the giveaway, on the older mould these were moulded raised detail

33008 arrived (along with 33052) and unfortunately I've got some issues with it:

20210729_130456.jpg.8d722fee43efea31621de858b12572c6.jpg

20210729_113221.jpg.96420ec3fdf380ca499e652b411b3dcd.jpg

My retailer says his remaining stock is all the same! So just wondering if this is across the batch or if other people have good copies? Apparently sold out at Gaugemaster now so he can't source any more stock.

• Thanks 1

Hi All,

I have been busy today on my model railway.

One of the tasks was to chip up my recently acquired class 33,052 ‘Ashford’ which was easily achieved & within 10 minutes or so she was running on my layout complete with a new Bachmann chip.

She is a lovely smooth runner & the lights are a nice improvement too. 

DDBAEF97-E121-48CE-848E-A77F6B30AD0F.jpeg

Edited by CB Rail

19 hours ago, SouthernMafia said:

33008 arrived (along with 33052) and unfortunately I've got some issues with it:

20210729_130456.jpg.8d722fee43efea31621de858b12572c6.jpg

20210729_113221.jpg.96420ec3fdf380ca499e652b411b3dcd.jpg

My retailer says his remaining stock is all the same! So just wondering if this is across the batch or if other people have good copies? Apparently sold out at Gaugemaster now so he can't source any more stock.

Received both of mine the Eastleigh (from ROS) and Jenny Lewis (from Olivias) and neither have the mesh grills that yours have :scratchhead:

Are these both part of a dodgy batch?

• RMweb Premium

My 33008, has got the mesh grilles (they're very fine mesh & easy to miss when looking straight at them !)

Luckily I haven't got the glue marks under the grille. :)

Cheers,

Phil.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I think the issue is on SouthernMafias grills is that they are not straight which makes the mesh a lot more noticeable....its a different mesh to what was supplied on the first of the retooled models. Looks like the grills have had an issue at the factory and someone has had a go at trying to correct it.

1 hour ago, pheaton said:

I think the issue is on SouthernMafias grills is that they are not straight which makes the mesh a lot more noticeable....its a different mesh to what was supplied on the first of the retooled models. Looks like the grills have had an issue at the factory and someone has had a go at trying to correct it.

Do you know I didn't even spot that! Luckily they are so fine you can barely see it. I think it's a backwards step tbh, the previous batches looked more convincing.

• RMweb Gold

I’m going to guess, the grills are etched, with four lugs that need to be bent to fit into retainer holes in the body.

if you don't bend the lug enough, it doesn't sit, and so can cause the etch to bubble outward, which it is tempting to glue in…

(ive been there and done that)… similarly if you try to reshape the lug, chances are it’ll break off (done that too).

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, SouthernMafia said:

Do you know I didn't even spot that! Luckily they are so fine you can barely see it. I think it's a backwards step tbh, the previous batches looked more convincing.

i see what you mean i just checked a recent purchase 33025 and i had to look twice to see them....previous batches the grill was a little oversize so to there credit Heljan have listened and tried to fix

• Like 1

Chipped my pair yesterday, am I right in thinking the side lights are tail lights not marker lights? In which case it's still wrong and the light guides need removing to stop them lighting up when going forwards.

Still, issues aside the finish is impressive and I can't see the defects on 33008 unless I look closely.

1292023210_2021-08-0218-05-56.jpg.4a00701d9163272152dae6d2344415f4.jpg

• Like 3

12 hours ago, pheaton said:

i see what you mean i just checked a recent purchase 33025 and i had to look twice to see them....previous batches the grill was a little oversize so to there credit Heljan have listened and tried to fix

True it is a nice grille, but it now highlights the lack of relief behind the grille in the engine room, at least before it was a bit deceptive

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, SouthernMafia said:

True it is a nice grille, but it now highlights the lack of relief behind the grille in the engine room, at least before it was a bit deceptive

haven't opened mine up yet have they transitioned to LEDs yet?