At last some new 33s

owentherail

23 minutes ago, SouthernMafia said:

I don't want a restoration model. It didn't carry nameplates when out in the real world, and was in Construction livery until sometime in 95/96, so this allows me to model both livery variations I want on the same loco, I just turn it round since you can't see both sides of the loco at the same time.

Got you, it's also carried both liveries in restoration so was wondering on context

• Like 1

Whilst a little OT, I am thinking of buying some paints to do the colouring on the axle box covers, springs, dampers and speedo.

33063 & 37714

Given I have no gear at the moment so will be buying paint, a couple of brushes, thinners etc. for these small details should I get enamel or acrylic? I didn't know if there was a different argument for small details like this straight onto the plastic vs say doing a complete body, priming etc., most of the arguments are generalised.

I've got 33 021 and want to get Eastleigh nameplates and the depot plaque from Shawplan.

Has anyone fitted theirs with the nameplates and could they tell me if the plates cover the printed one completely or do I need to remove existing printed one first.

Baz

55 minutes ago, bazil31 said:

I've got 33 021 and want to get Eastleigh nameplates and the depot plaque from Shawplan.

Has anyone fitted theirs with the nameplates and could they tell me if the plates cover the printed one completely or do I need to remove existing printed one first.

Baz

Can't help on the plate front, but if you are after etched BR plates too then they won't cover the ones on 063 so I presume same for 021

2 hours ago, bazil31 said:

Baz

Previous experience plating 33114 Ashford 150 is that Heljan made the printed plates too big. Or the Shawplan ones were too small but I think I trust Brian to produce a more accurate product than Heljan!

20190719_111601.jpg.f918af53dc00d5942e3cca90ea58381f.jpg

The printed plate came off ok but not as easy as Bachmann locos.

20190719_113513.jpg.fca407b36fceafd77bcebfba67d27cd9.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TomScrut said:

That's interesting but I presume it won't work on these, there is just one bulb and it drives the lower markers, headlight and blinds so without splitting the light tunnel somehow it will be awkward.

Yes just the one bulb on 059, but on mine there is only the blind to light. The lower marker light tunnel has been severed as the lower markers were no longer used. I have a second bulb (red) up at the blinds, so it illuminates the white blanks in the blind red (well red/pink) when in reverse. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SouthernMafia said:

Previous experience plating 33114 Ashford 150 is that Heljan made the printed plates too big. Or the Shawplan ones were too small but I think I trust Brian to produce a more accurate product than Heljan!

20190719_111601.jpg.f918af53dc00d5942e3cca90ea58381f.jpg

The printed plate came off ok but not as easy as Bachmann locos.

20190719_113513.jpg.fca407b36fceafd77bcebfba67d27cd9.jpg

Really tidy job looks great and no damage to the existing paintwork.

Was the depot plaque the same size as the Heljan one?

8 minutes ago, bazil31 said:

Really tidy job looks great and no damage to the existing paintwork.

Was the depot plaque the same size as the Heljan one?

Just about, the silver edging blends into the edge of the Shawplan plate so if you don't get it bang on centre it's not too noticeable.

1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

Thanks for checking though.

I presume they look good on! Unfamiliar with transfers do they look almost as good as printed?

They are pretty good . I use railtec for tops no’s though as I find fox get a yellow tinge .

703 was a departure for me as I used humbrol enamel thinners ( tip from James makin )to get sector logos off ( Tcut on Bachmann sector logos tends to go through grey before it gets rid of logo )

finished with 2 layers of rattle can humbrol Matt acyric varnish ( too many layers it goes white )

C9922F66-3505-429C-8D0C-9FAFA1AE2CD9.jpeg

Edited by rob D2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Richard Croft said:

I wanted something that was easy to fit without having to take the model apart to access the fuel tanks.

When I put a speaker in the fuel tanks of my 33s, I didn't need to do any more than unclip the tanks and just lift the PCB to feed wires down through the existing holes. Nothing major at all.

Roy

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening,

Slightly off topic but I've been considering the after market fuel tanks for a while for some of my 26s and 27s. I must admit to not being convinced as they are slightly too large as you say. This speaker looks to be perfect and sounds good. I think I'll be buying a few in the not too distant future. Another Lockdown project.

PJ10

Edited by PJ10

Good evening modellers,

I fitted the fuel tank speaker to a Heljan Class 27 and did not notice the replacement tank being any bigger.

I did, however fit a protective cover of 0.4mm plastic card drilled out.

The sound is very clear and loud. I would recommend this arrangement.

John

1951ED47-81C5-4916-B3BF-BC3ED9637ADB.jpeg

895F233D-CFF4-45A5-937B-FF3EEF37519F.jpeg

• RMweb Premium

Looks good 37501. Like the protective cover. However I think I'll go for the 27mm round bass speakers as some of the 26s and 27s I've earmarked for sound fitting don't have both battery boxes and tanks.

PJ10

On 24/05/2020 at 08:39, TomScrut said:

Given I have no gear at the moment so will be buying paint, a couple of brushes, thinners etc. for these small details should I get enamel or acrylic? I didn't know if there was a different argument for small details like this straight onto the plastic vs say doing a complete body, priming etc., most of the arguments are generalised.

To be honest, I don't think it really matters - whatever you are most comfortable working with, it's effectively 'touching in' so no big deal either way?  For what it's worth, I generally prefer enamels, mostly because I find enamel easier to work with and generally more adjustable later on should the need arise.

On 24/05/2020 at 13:30, TomScrut said:

I presume they look good on! Unfamiliar with transfers do they look almost as good as printed?

The Fox transfers I've used have all been superb, indistinguishable really from factory-printed.  Bobby dazzler! :sungum:

Al

Edited by YesTor
  • Like 1

My all new preserved post office red Eastleigh arrived.

Some pics showing the roof  and grill differences between Heljan's original 33/0, the previous batch of 33/0s and the latest batch of 33/0s.

Must say the new grills are better and the new loco looks correct with the Horn covers off. There is still an extra panel line between the cab and exhaust (missing on the original one, 33/1 and 33/2 and I have some doubts it exists in the real world).  The new model also still has 2 small panels below the side grills printed on (they are moulded on their first 33/0 attempt). 

Still a great improvement however and I'll try her later on a rake of post office coaches.

33_1.jpg

33_2.jpg

33_3.jpg

6 hours ago, JSpencer said:

My all new preserved post office red Eastleigh arrived.

Some pics showing the roof  and grill differences between Heljan's original 33/0, the previous batch of 33/0s and the latest batch of 33/0s.

Must say the new grills are better and the new loco looks correct with the Horn covers off. There is still an extra panel line between the cab and exhaust (missing on the original one, 33/1 and 33/2 and I have some doubts it exists in the real world).  The new model also still has 2 small panels below the side grills printed on (they are moulded on their first 33/0 attempt). 

Still a great improvement however and I'll try her later on a rake of post office coaches.

33_1.jpg

33_2.jpg

33_3.jpg

Yeah must admit the only disappointment I had with my Rails DRS pair was the printed panels beneath the grille. Was surprised to see this on a new tooling. Shame as not too bad a model otherwise. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

Few more pics, this time on a post office train (this 33 was only painted post office red in preservation but rule 1 applies - until now I only had an old Hornby class 86 "Poste Haste" in red livery).

33_4.jpg

33_5.jpg

33_6.jpg

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Hey at least the livery is right on them ones?!

Just a shame that Heljan don't have tooling for 33s with and without marker lights (with some having them at one end only). 33021 doesn't have them.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
Typo
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The more I read this the more I wish someone else would do a 33. The Heljan 33/1s and 33/2s have  been much better in fairness - always had the right shape for a start. However the 33/0s have been all over the place - first the flat roof version, then the corrected roof but with printed detail replacing molded detail and fictitious lines on the roof. Errors in the centre tanks even though they have variations tooled they do not use them correctly. Re-introduction of the flat roofed version and finally multiple livery errors. I probably missed something. I want more 33/0s but Heljan are not making it easy for me.  Just overall poor attention to detail. Rant over :)

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1