At last some new 33s

owentherail

• RMweb Gold
On 31/07/2020 at 11:53, jonnyuk said:

i believe 6515 is due another run, about 3 weeks ago i found place (trains4u i think), i must of spoke to 12 other shops and a couple of them mentioned a second run soon.

Just goes to show, the whiners are in a minority.

I think Heljans 33 are top notch innappearance.

Edited by adb968008

On 30/07/2020 at 20:08, Kaput said:

Is it just me or was the lastest run of these very small? Took a random notion to see about getting D6515 only to find its completely sold out already.

I think as a general rule they also chose very well in terms of what to make. 2 locos in very close condition to current whilst being based on how they were 25 years ago, i.e. 2 markets. 2 other current condition locos too. These will be of appeal as I would expect most people wanting older 33s will already have them by now.

The only questionable decision was to weather the WCRC one.

Shame they screwed up liveries on at least two of them but they sold anyway so does it matter as far as they are concerned?

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

I think as a general rule they also chose very well in terms of what to make. 2 locos in very close condition to current whilst being based on how they were 25 years ago, i.e. 2 markets. 2 other current condition locos too. These will be of appeal as I would expect most people wanting older 33s will already have them by now.

The only questionable decision was to weather the WCRC one.

Shame they screwed up liveries on at least two of them but they sold anyway so does it matter as far as they are concerned?

If they re-run the WC one without weathering i’ll buy it for sure.

But theres a lot of 33’s out there, and overselling causes items to stick.

if they are considering a repeats, maybe EWS and 33035, maybe keep the numbers lower.

It fascinates me how they keep missing the more popular variant of 33008, HYE, no D number, no headlights as it was first rolled out and attended several open days... only Lima have modelled this, but with the GM release, I guess has gone back a few more years.

i think a plain Blue 33/0 is a bit overdue, maybe even two numbers, but after that I think its getting close to having been well cooked, definitely too many Green and “D” blue ones out there.
i’m waiting secretly hoping for a class 26 sale soon, ive bought a bunch a while back, but i’d take a few more if the price gets creative.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Given Bachmann are doing 4 WCRC coaches in the forseeable (well, they have announced them) one would think that WCRC locos would be desirable. I am thinking of buying the coaches as I could literally run anything slightly vintage on the front of them I think but having a WCRC loco would be useful and I'd rather have a 33 than a 37, simply because once the AS 37s come I'll have 6.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Given Bachmann are doing 4 WCRC coaches in the forseeable (well, they have announced them) one would think that WCRC locos would be desirable. I am thinking of buying the coaches as I could literally run anything slightly vintage on the front of them I think but having a WCRC loco would be useful and I'd rather have a 33 than a 37, simply because once the AS 37s come I'll have 6.

You mean one infront, one behind the steam loco, plus one at the back of the train these days.

A cynical scale sized steam railtour consist could be 33+steam(unpowered)+bsk+fo+buffet+bsk+37, or indeed the reverse, as often the consist is dragged, if your layout can’t handle 7 vehicles, remove a passenger vehicle until you can..

Indeed a Leaf-fall season railtour set would be the only one without a diesel, but that would be in the extension pack with 0Z99 headcodes.

Edited by adb968008

18 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

You mean one infront, one behind the steam loco, plus one at the back of the train these days.

A cynical scale sized steam railtour consist could be 33+steam(unpowered)+bsk+fo+buffet+bsk+37, or indeed the reverse, as often the consist is dragged, if your layout can’t handle 7 vehicles, remove a passenger vehicle until you can..

Indeed a Leaf-fall season railtour set would be the only one without a diesel, but that would be in the extension pack with 0Z99 headcodes.

I'd be happy not having 2 diesels involved if there was a kettle on. I'd me happier running a steam and diesel and then 4 (or more) coaches than having the extra loco especially given it would add significant cost to the exercise. I'm pretty sure the ones I see coming to Scarborough only tend to have one diesel on if at all. Last Thursday it didn't have a diesel on with steam.

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, TomScrut said:

I'd be happy not having 2 diesels involved if there was a kettle on. I'd me happier running a steam and diesel and then 4 (or more) coaches than having the extra loco especially given it would add significant cost to the exercise. I'm pretty sure the ones I see coming to Scarborough only tend to have one diesel on if at all. Last Thursday it didn't have a diesel on with steam.

on saturday WC was running a freight to Inverness, with 3 x37’s.. two in the front and 1 on the back.
here to Inverness

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/R26900/2020-08-01/detailed
Here to Georgemas Jn

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/R26477/2020-08-03/detailed
and back tomorrow

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/R25990/2020-08-04/detailed

When was the last time you saw 3x 37’s at Georgemas, for me it would be 1990.

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/R26477/2020-08-07/detailed

5 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

on saturday WC was running a freight to Inverness, with 3 x37’s

I saw a Facebook post about that. Pretty fantastic really, very cool if they are getting 37s back on some sort of meaningful freight and also that it requires 3 of them!

On 02/08/2020 at 11:35, adb968008 said:

if they are considering a repeats, maybe EWS and 33035, maybe keep the numbers lower.

It fascinates me how they keep missing the more popular variant of 33008, HYE, no D number, no headlights as it was first rolled out and attended several open days... only Lima have modelled this, but with the GM release, I guess has gone back a few more years.

i think a plain Blue 33/0 is a bit overdue, maybe even two numbers, but after that I think its getting close to having been well cooked, definitely too many Green and “D” blue ones out there.
i’m waiting secretly hoping for a class 26 sale soon, ive bought a bunch a while back, but i’d take a few more if the price gets creative.

Agree on 33008, thought we were getting it via Gaugemaster but that was a massive let down. At least it wasn't the version of the livery I wanted, so there's still hope. Maybe someone will do it as a Limited Edition.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone got any tips regarding which decoder to buy for the new 33/0s? I've tried a couple of Gaugemaster chips  (between 1A and 1.8A max) which all get very warm, so I'd be keen to find a decoder that didn't threaten to burn a hole through the roof!

5 hours ago, R.Langley said:

Has anyone got any tips regarding which decoder to buy for the new 33/0s? I've tried a couple of Gaugemaster chips  (between 1A and 1.8A max) which all get very warm, so I'd be keen to find a decoder that didn't threaten to burn a hole through the roof!

Lenz Standards in my two

On 21/08/2020 at 12:38, R.Langley said:

I use DCC Concepts z218s in mine, but I remember reading that the bulbs cause excessive power draw and indeed I had a chip blow. I disconnected all the bulbs and am steadily going through replacing with LEDs, not had any issues since.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Heljan appear to be releasing as their own models the two Gaugemaster editions of 33025 'Sultan' and 33008 'Eastleigh'. The ref numbers are 3441 and 3442 respectively, which would suggest that this time they use the newer, more accurate, bodyshell. 33025 appears from the Kernow MRC  description to be unweathered this time.

As someone who bought the Gaugemaster edition as a way to get the livery and have to put up with the old bodyshell, I will be annoyed it this new release has the new body.

EDIT: I’ve had another look at the Gaugemaster box and there is a Heljan label under the Gaugemaster one, with the ref. 3441, so the new release may be the same loco/body.

Edited by brushman47544
Update

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

Heljan appear to be releasing as their own models the two Gaugemaster editions of 33025 'Sultan' and 33008 'Eastleigh'. The ref numbers are 3441 and 3442 respectively, which would suggest that this time they use the newer, more accurate, bodyshell. 33025 appears from the Kernow MRC  description to be unweathered this time.

As someone who bought the Gaugemaster edition as a way to get the livery and have to put up with the old bodyshell, I will be annoyed it this new release has the new body.

EDIT: I’ve had another look at the Gaugemaster box and there is a Heljan label under the Gaugemaster one, with the ref. 3441, so the new release may be the same loco/body.

I thought Ben Jones had indicated that these were not the same model?

Roy

• RMweb Gold
On 02/09/2020 at 13:44, brushman47544 said:

Hmm...

It would seem odd pricing if they are both the same ?

£101 Gaugemaster vs £126 Heljan

on both Rails & Kernows sites.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, amarr40 said:

Looking forward to seeing 33025 hopefully with the new body moulding, but why do Rails indicate that they are due this week when they are not. 

Unless they are the same, as the GM labelled one is in stock, they could just send that, if they are the same and someone buys the higher priced version.

A bit puzzled.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

Boxes wrongly labelled would not be a first. Labels printed for the more detailed 33 model when its the less accurate one that is in the box.

Indeed, although Ben Jones has said I think on here that Gaugemaster chose the older body tooling as the models would be cheaper, but he didn't expect it to be used again.

I don't think it can be coincidence that the "new" 33025 has the same code (3441) as the Gaugemaster version. If the factory was being asked to use a different body tooling, I think Heljan would have had to give it a different code or risk the factory using the same specs for the 3441 in their database. But we shall see...

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

Indeed, although Ben Jones has said I think on here that Gaugemaster chose the older body tooling as the models would be cheaper, but he didn't expect it to be used again.

I don't think it can be coincidence that the "new" 33025 has the same code (3441) as the Gaugemaster version. If the factory was being asked to use a different body tooling, I think Heljan would have had to give it a different code or risk the factory using the same specs for the 3441 in their database. But we shall see...

I can think of other reasons why we ended up where we are. For example, did the factory accidentally use the wrong moulding and the Gaugemaster models result from that and now the right tooling is being used hence the fact that the Heljan main releases are not here yet?

I would not read too much into the box label.

Roy