At last some new 33s

7 minutes ago, SouthernMafia said:

At last 33008 in a livery variant that we all want! No doubt this will sell out in weeks.

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/41948/Heljan-3462-oo-gauge-class-33-br-retro-green-d6508-eastleigh-small-yellow-panels-

It is nice that! Is it going to remain like that when the work on it is finished? Looks the same paintwork as it is in at the moment.

BRCW DEL100 1960  (2020_08_08)

5 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

It is nice that! Is it going to remain like that when the work on it is finished? Looks the same paintwork as it is in at the moment.

BRCW DEL100 1960  (2020_08_08)

I hope it is not as the photo as preserved, with the non white stripe and cab window surrounds. More likely the long lived last version from 1992 (my pic 07-07-93).

Cheers.

M-559 TWY 7-7-93 33008 56046.jpg

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
3 minutes ago, Lyddrail said:

I hope it is not as the photo as preserved, with the non white stripe and cab window surrounds. More likely the long lived last version from 1992 (my pic 07-07-93).

Cheers.

Agreed, be ironic if it does come in off-white as wasn't D6515 supposed to be off-white and came in white!?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Lyddrail said:

Cheers.

There was no such thing as a long lived version.

I’m sure I can even see a man with a paint brush in that picture.

I bet if they stripped all the paint off that they’d find it was in fact a 33/2,

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

I’m delighted to see 33008 in this condition as I saw it on the Hamworthy goods back in 1992 on a charter set with a pair 37’s at the other end. A second WCRC 33 will be getting ordered as well. More great choices Ben.

Thanks

Mark

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, SouthernMafia said:

Agreed, be ironic if it does come in off-white as wasn't D6515 supposed to be off-white and came in white!?

When it comes to 33008 theres very few versions that could be considered inaccurate, just versions its not yet carried... 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

i missed out on the recently released 33,012 in weathered (faded) blue livery.

At the time I was more interested in the weathered construction sub-sector 33,042 variant so acquired one of these instead.

Over the last few months I have been on the look out for 33,012 as I have a rake Rugby cement hoppers which I know it will look just great at the head of, but sourcing the loco was becoming quite difficult.......

The good news was, a certain large retailer in the North West came up trumps with a pre-owned variant that was unused. I ordered this on Monday & it arrived later this week.

Today, was the first chance I had to 'chip this' & I had an old Hornby 8 pin chip so used this & she runs like a dream.

It was also interesting to note that the loco pulled away on speed setting 2 on my Gaugmesater Prodigy advance 2 handset which compared to my other Heljan loco's is quite different as traditionally these have quite a large draw.

The only disappointment - it s now wrapped up & under the Christmas tree so I won't have the opportunity to properly run this until after the 25th.

Oh well, certainly something to look forward to.

IMG_3438.PNG

Edited by CB Rail
  • Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I see Heljan are planning to release another Dutch liveried 33/0 example in a weathered condition with 'name plates & crest removed'.

I believe this is a great idea, however inevitably it will come down to the execution.

If anyone is interested the Model No is 3458 with Running No. 33,025.

IMG_3450.PNG

• Like 2
  • 5 weeks later...

Does any one have a pic of an original Heljan 33 compared to the revised 33? I have recently aquired 33065 "sealion" but the cab face dosnt look quite right, is this one of the original releases ?

Thanks

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, e30ftw said:

Does any one have a pic of an original Heljan 33 compared to the revised 33? I have recently aquired 33065 "sealion" but the cab face dosnt look quite right, is this one of the original releases ?

Thanks

I think that was the very first release in the first batch. What catalogue number does it have?

Roy

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Any recommendations for which glue to use to stick the aerial pods on the roof?

Also possibly what paint colour is a match for them to touch up where they've been removed from the sprue? (Its D6515 so greyish roof)

On 21/02/2021 at 17:32, Kaput said:

Any recommendations for which glue to use to stick the aerial pods on the roof?

Also possibly what paint colour is a match for them to touch up where they've been removed from the sprue? (Its D6515 so greyish roof)

I used blue tack. Otherwise Poly cement if you are brave enough not to mess up the paint work while positioning them, or PVA (wood glue) with a risk one might flic off during handling.

• 1 month later...

Of all the issues raised with the model, I would have thought that inconsistent liveries should not be one of them.

I have just got 3439 33009 in Dutch to go with my 3452 33026 Seafire model, and the yellow band is a different shade (it is not as obvious in the attached picture as it is in real life)

I know that all manufactures seem to struggle with what colours were used on the Dutch livery, I have a Dapol 73, the Heljan 33, some Hornby and Lima Seacows, Hornby Rudd and Dapol Turbots and Grampus, and they all have different shades of grey and yellow on them. But the same loco from the same manufacture having different paint colours is poor in my book.

33009 will have to be returned, but does anybody know if 3433 33002 or 3436 33047 has the same shade of yellow as the 33026 model.

1286078024_33Dutch.jpg.be41e413780e82cea637eeeceeb9bb8a.jpg

1 hour ago, Gray69 said:

Of all the issues raised with the model, I would have thought that inconsistent liveries should not be one of them.

I have just got 3439 33009 in Dutch to go with my 3452 33026 Seafire model, and the yellow band is a different shade (it is not as obvious in the attached picture as it is in real life)

I know that all manufactures seem to struggle with what colours were used on the Dutch livery, I have a Dapol 73, the Heljan 33, some Hornby and Lima Seacows, Hornby Rudd and Dapol Turbots and Grampus, and they all have different shades of grey and yellow on them. But the same loco from the same manufacture having different paint colours is poor in my book.

33009 will have to be returned, but does anybody know if 3433 33002 or 3436 33047 has the same shade of yellow as the 33026 model.

33002 has a totally different shade of grey to any of them seen on the right 33047 is on the left 

IMG_9jwds4.jpg

Edited by London Southwark
7 hours ago, Gray69 said:

Out of interest, do people ever get grief when they contact the shop to return a loco on such spurious grounds?  I must admit if I ran a shop I’d struggle to stop the occasional “are you kidding me” slipping out......

• Like 2
5 hours ago, aureol40012 said:

Out of interest, do people ever get grief when they contact the shop to return a loco on such spurious grounds?  I must admit if I ran a shop I’d struggle to stop the occasional “are you kidding me” slipping out......

I will tell you in a couple of days.

If this was a model costing a couple of quid, I wouldn't mind. But I will have given Heljan suppliers the not inconsiderable sum of £250 for these locos.

All the pictures I have of these magnificent machines from the 90's show that they all seem to be in the same livery. The wrong livery stands out like a sore thumb with these locos. There should be a look of uniformity about them, which is completely ruined by them been different colours. When people complain that the roof detail isn't quite right, the fuel tank is wrong, the grills are too big, these are things that you need to examine the loco closely for, but the wrong livery is very visible from across a layout.

For the money, I do not expect that every time I see the 2 locos working together to feel a pang of disappointment that it doesn't look right. I have neither the time, the expertise or the willingness to possibly ruin an expensive purchase to rectify what is a basic error. I am sorry if this is a bit harsh, but isn't a realistic layout what most of us strive for.

The model was ordered with other items, so the seller hasn't lost out on sending the item. As there is nothing else wrong with the model, I expect to see it for sale as new soon after it is returned.

11 hours ago, London Southwark said:

33002 has a totally different shade of grey to any of them seen on the right 33047 is on the left 

Thanks for the info. It looks like a double headed Dutch combo might be out of the question for now :(

Edited by Gray69
Added reply to London Southwark
  • RMweb Gold

Livery does seem an odd peculiarity in the UK.

Ive several models of both European and US heritage, where different manufacturers seem to not have the same issues, Germany especially seems to agree what DB red looks like.

On 10/04/2021 at 21:10, Gray69 said:

Out of curiousity have you a picture of the same Two 33's working together in Real Life,ive had a quick search and found a Picture of 33019 and 33026  multiple working  and their Liveries do look ( to my eyes ) different.

• Agree 1