RMWEB Tour of Didcot Railway Centre Centre - 2018 Edition! Sunday 29th July.

Castle

Hi All,

The World Famous* RMWEB Tour of Didcot Railway Centre Sunday 29th July 2018

A bit later than normal - sorry everyone! The final ok was granted by management on Saturday and I was a bit busy on Sunday with other things steam engine so here we are! For those that haven’t been before, my team and I will show you the whole of Didcot Railway Centre, taking you behind the scenes and giving you a chance to look at anything and everything you want to see as far as is possible! You can make prior requests to see things either before, during or after the tour and we will do our very best to let you see, photograph and / or measure what you need to! There will be trains running that day (when I know the roster, I will let you know - there will be a guest engine on site) and we will also tour Radstock Signal Box, the Carriage & Wagon Works, the Carriage & Wagon Storage shed and the locomotive works as well as all the normal visitor attractions. We have a great time and we also get to meet our fellow RMWEBBERs and put faces to names! We ought to give you a little sample of what is to be seen - how’s this?

post-14393-0-89332000-1520891469_thumb.jpeg

The plan will be for you to get in as soon after we open as possible and take your train rides and have a spot of lunch, visit the shops, etc and we will meet up at the entrance kiosk by the main gate at 12:00hrs. From there, we will do our tour and we are usually done by about 16:00hrs after tea (the main motive fluid for railway preservation, coffee is substituted by some) has been drunk and the world has been put to rights. There is parking across the road from Didcot Parkway station and the centre is accessed through the underpass in the station itself. The other way to get there is of course by train!

So - I will ask the question I ask every year - who wants to come and have a look in the largest and greatest GWR toybox in the world?

All the best,

Castle

*After OTBL and his good lady joined us last year, I can definitely claim this now! They have the longest distance travelled so far for the tour - it will take a bit of beating! Can we do it?

• Like 10

This is truly a very special day out for anyone with any sort of interest in railways and especially the Great Western Railway, (is there any other?! :O). 

Castle makes the tour a very interesting, making time for everyone's questions and specific interests whilst giving the opportunity for some special requests to photograph stock that normally you would not be able to either see or get close enough to.

I went along last year and seriously the entire day is awesome. Thank you again Mr Castle.

Hi All,

No.46, I am humbled by your endorsements! Thanks for saying what you have and it means a lot. Like any railway preservationist, we do it all (tours included!) because we love the subject and enjoy sharing our somewhat privalidged position with as many people as possible. If you are not busy, you would be most welcome again!

Ray and Polly - fantastic news! I look forward to what will be our second meeting this year! Dia the Steam must be put in No. 4079’s driving seat this time. Yes, it will be reattached by then...

All the best,

Castle

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well I was converted to liking things GWR on my first visit 4 or 5? years ago, have only missed 1 year since and would love to come again.

Also on that first visit met a couple of great blokes who have become good friends.

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob

Ray and Polly - fantastic news! I look forward to what will be our second meeting this year! Dia the Steam must be put in No. 4079’s driving seat this time. Yes, it will be reattached by then...

All the best,

Castle

Yes i forgot, Jones the Steam will need a ticket too.....

Here he is on his last visit inspection in 2016.

post-11105-0-51453900-1520971648_thumb.jpg

Edited by tender
  • Like 2

Hi All,

Mike - people would miss you if you didn’t come with us! Two places as always good sir and thanks in advance!

Bernie - everyone is welcome good sir! Two places it is.

All the best,

Castle

Yes please Drew, with the usual work commitment caveat.

I visited Didcot yesterday with my little boy and he was mesmerised. Nice to see 4079 looking visually complete and at the back of the running shed. Have you been moved by other projects in the workshops?

I also would like to pick your brains on the K40 TPO conversion underway in the carriage shop. What is the thinking behind the flat end gangway arrangement? I thought the converter K40”s retained their bow ends, unless you guys at the GWS have drawings to prove otherwise!

Anyway, looking forward to another guided tour. Thanks as always for your efforts in hosting a great event.

Best wishes,

Andy.

Hi Andy,

No problem - I shall note you down for a place good sir! No, Pendennis hasn’t been evicted (!), we have gone forward into the shed to use the inspection pit. It’s also given the No. 3650 Crew a chance to get stuck into dismantling the boiler internals. It also means that visitors get to see No. 4079 while she is in this almost complete state so it’s win-win all round!

The K40 as I (a mere loco chap) understand it, the conversion as is being done was at least proposed by the GWR but not carried out. I’m sure Pete S (K14) will be along soon to correct me!

All the best,

Castle

PS: a sneak preview of this summer’s ‘wee engine’ hire...

post-14393-0-14335500-1521053554_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Castle
  • Like 1

My dad and myself very much enjoyed our visit last year. I must admit Drew I've absolutely no idea what I'll be doing in the summer, so cannot confirm anything just yet, but if I do come along to this GWR extravaganza then it might be on my own.

Drew,

I hope that the boys and I will be able to make it, we much enjoyed the 2016 trip - Please put me down + 4 if that's ok, and I'll confirm to you later in the week?

thanks and kind regards

Simon

Drew,

I hope that the boys and I will be able to make it, we much enjoyed the 2016 trip - Please put me down + 4 if that's ok, and I'll confirm to you later in the week?

thanks and kind regards

Simon

Following a team briefing, two of our number will be in Stockholm, so only three of us.

Best

Simon