Huckford Road or Harecombe Common (to be decided)

Mulgabill

Hi Tony

Looking good.....

Certainly going in the right direction....

Electrics can be very frustrating in my experience so I fully understand your frustrations....

Keep up the good work......And above all stay safe....

Cheers Bill

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Pleased to say the wiring is working, and packed into the control panel. Now just needs

just needs a big HANDLE WITH CARE label!

Now need to get on with point rodding and balasting before starting on the 2 scenic trays for

the other (near) side of the lines.

A couple more picks of the low relief backscene/ The line of fence / trees etc is on the back edge

of the scenic tray - representing the boundary of the goods yard. Behind which would be the back

gardens, and houses of Bradley Ave. These are represented by a depth of app 30mm and very low

relief app 2mm scale semi detached house outlines. The aim to give an impression of distant

houses, mostly hidden by the trees etc.

DSC_0810.JPG.d1bf5def02280affc778b9bdb5eb4198.JPG

DSC_0811.JPG.f12bf90f40d701a5d07302669a45b042.JPG

I think it works, do my viewers?

All the best

TONY

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Who remembers Fred?

In an advert (from 1964), he said GRADEDGRAINS MAKE FINER bALLAST, or something like that.

So today Mrs MB and I have (part) processed  about 5 litres of limestone, which made our

shed feel like Norton Fitzwarren ballst dump.

The limestone has been in storage since 1985, and whilst some has been used as it comes, it

suddenly occurred to me that we may have the means to improve its attributes. To be fair it

was always a little coarse for 4mm scale, but it was free!

So I first sieved through a cheep kitchen sieve (app £2.50 Sainsburys) with a view to using the

finer element as ballast. But then I remember I had a spare teastrainer (Wilko 50p) for my

homemad static grass machine. So I used this to further sieve the potential ballast, with a view

to removing the fines.

As  result we now have 4 grades of potental "ballast" from Coarse (probably 7mm scale perhaps)

Grade 1 probably okk for 4mm, Grade 2 a cleaner grade 1 with dust removed (4mm) and grade

3 Fines, should be good for paths, textures etc/

At this point Mrs MB and I disagreed which was best, so some has been laid on Huckford Road

(not glued))

Se pics and any comments would be apreciated.

Grade 2 and Coarse

DSC_0825.JPG.e2e0eeebdb7aaa42466e99e3c44c2e89.JPG

Grade 3 and grade 1

DSC_0826.JPG.d4a150db2e6f0f544a22973cf93d98d4.JPG

All the best

TONY

p.s. Fred was the Homepride flour guy.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well HR has moved on a bit.

The point rodding has been completed, in a manner that suits me, but maybe not for the purists.

But it was economic, and avoided having to resort to mal order. (Will probably re-do and complete

on Helstonish, when I get back in the train room).

Also the North side ( rear in photos), scenic trays have reached completion, subject to detailing.

These have now been moved into storage, so the South trays can be started, although this may

not happen just yet.

DSC_0838.JPG.7bed38f9ad54abc5778abb7e4bfa86b7.JPG

DSC_0865.JPG.1128de4cfe2039709964cf9356e493d1.JPG

Am I the only person that would appreciate another 10 weeks of lockdown to let me get on with this?

All the best

TONY

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

I'm sorry this has been neglected for too long.

The main board is still resident, in the kitchen. But has been usurped on the table,

by a custom jig saw! (Mrs MB's).

But the intention is to utilise some cottages etc that are in process of building for Helstonish.

Plus, in an ideal world, it'll get paired up with my grandsons board, for the first time, to test

the validity of what has been done so far.

So, it is just resting!

All the best

TONY

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mulgabill said:

I'm sorry this has been neglected for too long.

The main board is still resident, in the kitchen. But has been usurped on the table,

by a custom jig saw! (Mrs MB's).

But the intention is to utilise some cottages etc that are in process of building for Helstonish.

Plus, in an ideal world, it'll get paired up with my grandsons board, for the first time, to test

the validity of what has been done so far.

So, it is just resting!

All the best

TONY

Hi Tony

It must be an actor....

That's what they do ......

Cheers Bill

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Copied from Helstonish topic, equally applicable, if not more so, here.

Posted just now

Just an acknowledgement that Helstonish has survived the RMW Hiatus, but updating and back dating

may take a while.

Prior to the apocalypse, we had our own disaster, in the 2nd storm (who's name I forget) a rogue

wave drenched No2 Daughter and myself, but more importantly my camera. It survived a few

hours, allowing downloads of the days breaking wave pictures, but refused to play the next day.

This incident seems to have been terminal. So new pics will have to await  alternative arrangements.

The outage also coincided with the commencement of another new layout, at the request of 2 grandsons.

This will probably be written up on the Huckford Road topic pages, although it is as yet unnamed.

For info it is approx 9'4" x 9' and app 22" wide  i.e.L shaped. 2 fiddle yards app 3' long have been built,

plus 4 baseboard frames and some legs.

The building of legs continues, their mountings will follow, and then we'll turn to 9mm ply for the beds.

I am instructed that this will be a transition period layout, to include a (feature) bridge, and dock/harbourside.

Think Fowey + a potential Porthleven Harbour, but I could do with an extra 1-2' on one leg to help get around the 90deg corner.

Any suggestions welcomed, and any thoughts or comments to keep this active also.

Cheers

TONY

• Friendly/supportive 1