Llanforen, GWR in South Wales

88C

• RMweb Gold

I must admit that since we entered lockdown Llanforen has seen a lot more activity. Enjoying seeing the large engines on the likes of Stoke Courtney, A Nod to Brent and Henley on Thames I decided to get out my big guns. Normally if I want to give them a run I take them up to the club, not an option at the moment.

Earlier on I posted a picture of Powderham Castle missing it's nameplate, well this has been replaced and here it is heading a short train through the station. Sadly I don't have space for a long train.

1521851073_IMG_5647(2).JPG.1e2510f9fe24c132347673f6f78f8d19.JPG

Another Castle crossing the stream, this time Rougemont Castle, a fairly standard Hornby offering with some minor detailing.

1803018623_IMG_5649(2).JPG.8c3962d16964b897bdd2feb8db09c43b.JPG

Apart from operating, aka playing, I have been steadily painting the B1s. I tend to spray the main colour and brush the black and details, today's job was to do the transfers and hopefully tomorrow I will get chance to fix the plates. Then I will have to decide what to do about varnishing.

Brian

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I thought you might know. It was built a few years ago after Tony Miller sent me the photo of part of it in the background and I took the basic dimensions from the diagram in Mountford’s book. A fair bit of guesswork needed. The C class is scratch built. As with most things Barry related photos are lacking.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Problems!

One of the Llanforen boards has to be removed whenever the gas boiler needs attention, well it did earlier this week, but at least the heating works again. When I put the board back and did some running the tracks across a joint were no longer level, fortunately the layout was built with adjustable legs and a bit of tweeking got things back to normal.

The next problem is not proving easy to solve. It involves this newly completed Barry B1.

2102124416_IMG_5663(2).JPG.2007e404bca93f458df31cd6ad789701.JPG

IMG_5664.JPG.e0e1d09e9d62023abc202ef58035392e.JPG

When running bunker first the pony wheels regularly derail at one point in the fiddle yard and occasionally on the 3way out of the yard. What is really puzzling me is why, since I have seven older locos with the same arrangement and thy have not given any trouble. I have added weight to the truck, tried springing all to no avail. Swapping the bogie with other models suggests that there must be something different about the main chassis but for the life of me I cannot see what. Isn't modelling frustrating at times.

On a more positive note I have got several projects completed, some I am happier with than others, getting a decent finish with varnish has been a pain.

1663846678_IMG_5639(2).JPG.1607d0faa2339fb209537c5da60ea338.JPG

All engines in the picture were sprayed with Phoenix gloss GW green. On the left is the paint without any varnish. In the middle a spray, using an airbrush, of Phoenix satin varnish, a new tin well stirred. It took all the deep green away and very disappointing. On the right the same green but a spray with Humbrol satin, my usual method but it was the last of the tin. I have since bought a new tin of Humbrol, opening the tin and giving it a stir it still looked grey, there have been comments elsewhere about this. After some experimenting on old models I have since given the saddle tank a spray with Phoenix gloss with a bit of satin which has improved things a little.

At least the wagon building has gone well, although I am slowly getting down my stocks.

That will do for now, be careful and keep safe.

Brian

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

It's been some time since I last posted anything on here so what have I been up to? 

Playing.

874304975_IMG_5665(2).JPG.3f58a253e3b70c77dce78ef917167527.JPG

I have been trying to give some different locos a run. This is an old Mainline 56xx bought at a train fair a few years ago for £14 as spares or repairs. It does work but like most Mainline stuff, not very well or controllably. Worth the punt but it is a long way down the list to do any work on it.

Building wagons.

1103965172_IMG_5666(2).JPG.12ed0fd9f425c48582d2402a269ff99b.JPG

My stash of kits has gone down. These have all been picked up cheaply at shows, the two vans are whitemetal Model Wagon Co. items, they give a bit of variety although in reality they probably didn't last too long in GWR ownership. The open wagons are the twin Ratio set and a Slaters coal wagon. Overall, I probably have too many vans compared to opens. A few wagons that I bought at the Nottingham show have been weathered, these are intended for use on a club layout but will be useful behind the Bachmann 94xx.

Finishing a coach.

1154870338_IMG_5667(2).JPG.5446218e583c3e2c017f79a0169be691.JPG

The coach, a Comet K40 full brake, needed mainly for the parcels train even though really intended for normal passenger trains. I must admit that building coaches is not my favourite modelling pastime, however over the years I have built quite a few. Many years ago I did some PC and MAJ kits with printed sides, maybe I should upgrade these with etched sides like @checkrail is doing with some of his coaches but somehow this isn't likely to happen. Hopefully the Slaters kits will re-appear.

I have also built a couple of rakes of Barry Railway coaches over the years.

Apart from that progress on the Barry D is slow, and I spend more time than I should reading RMWeb.

Keep safe and hopefully we will be able to go to shows and clubs again eventually. We have several dates in 2021 for various things that have been cancelled this year.

Brian

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

After quite a break since posting anything about Llanforen  I think it's about time so here goes.

Not a lot has changed apart from a couple of extra trees and the foliage on one has been replaced because I wasn't happy with it before. One thing that has changed is that the line has been a lot busier! Running sessions have been more frequent, sometimes just to play trains and others to do some testing or running in.

1936300060_IMG_5669(2).JPG.d2d4481122266005e08ae5b4a1ac64b7.JPG

In this picture the Barry D is on trial, the load in the tender is to give a bit of weight and despite this I am far from happy with it's running so I need to investigate why. The loco on the other hand is running nicely, sweeter in reverse so I'm happy with progress, slow though it may be. More details of the build can be found on my 88C's workbench thread in Kit building and Scratch building.

Some of my time has been building and weathering wagons for a club layout, Sutton-in-Ashfield Town, which is set in BR days.

IMG_5672_(2).JPG.c80fd4896f321bad9e770ae1a0a16008.JPG

The layout is Eastern Region so no excuse for a 56xx, but Hereford Models were advertising a BR one for a good price and I was tempted. Well I do have BR period wagons and coaches so I will be able to use them with suitable motive power. No doubt I will also end up getting a 94xx and a 16xx, well I do focus on South Wales. The 56xx will need weathering, it just looks wrong in uniform black, that's another skill I will have to learn at some time. After the recommended time running in the 56xx was hitched up to a train with suitable couplings. It runs so much better than my Mainline versions of course.

That's it for now so happy modelling to you all and keep safe.

Brian

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Following the dodgy running of the D's tender I have built a new sub frame and this seems to have done the trick.

IMG_5673.JPG.2f047bb9e2e495b4578a9e909828b3d0.JPG

On test towing the track cleaning wagon.

1224531837_IMG_5674(2).JPG.fd11dac4838044791dd4f349aad67ee4.JPG

A bit more of a load, no problems on the slight incline and it will be better when the boiler is fitted properly and weighted.

One thing that I have become aware of recently is that this engine is really quite small for an 0-8-0. 

Must sort that tree before the next gale.

Brian

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have not done a lot of work on the layout recently but there are a few more trees.

P1040685.JPG.367f2097e0bc2258e9ef4e0b32305701.JPG

P1040686.JPG.46a9ce2ec105bd6e1228f27098b6554c.JPG

Some time ago I bought some cheep Woodlands Scenics clump foliage at a local swap meet and along with some of the armatures every so often I make a couple of trees. As they come the armatures are a little short of branches so using some rather poor plastic branches of unknown origin I add some more.

The corner near the station is still a mess, a repository for for sub standard trees at the moment and I still don't know what to do with it. My cousin, ChrisF, has described the layout as timeless, a feel that I would like to keep. Any suggestions welcome.

P1040688.JPG.77edc406088211a239f8469c367b9ee0.JPG

Brian, with apologies for not cropping the photos.

• Like 10

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Very little has happened on the layout recently for a number of reasons although I have had a few running sessions. A plan for this year was to get the signals working but that has not happened. I was looking at the Megapoints system at Doncaster but the recommended servos were not available and I was not prepared to buy the electronicy bits if  I could not get the servos, then covid got in the way so I will have to get back to this later. Family commitments have also eaten into my time but I have not been completely idle.

I have been building up a collection of BR, not Barry this time, wagons for use on club layouts but I can't see me needing them any time soon. More of this another time.

820827516_P1040697(2).JPG.94fda65c9bc98c7b7bd56884a7fd9e2b.JPG

Lockdown has given me the chance to make a lot of progress with my Barry D class, as you can see in the photo it is now finished apart from a crew and coal, it seems to be working well. 

Not sure what I'll be doing next apart from building some more 16T mineral wagons.

Brian

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I must admit that recently, although I have done some modelling, I have lost my mojo. Amongst other things this, I think, is partly due to finishing the  D and not knowing where to go next. I have been building mineral wagon kits, 2 for the price of 1  compared to a new RTR, initially they were to use on club layouts at exhibitions, enough said.

In doing these kits I am hoping to introduce variety into a rake of similar wagons, a train of identical wagons just doesn't look right. Weathering also helps to do this and to this end I have been dry brushing. Finished and early stages.

2104101940_P1040698(2).JPG.9ed0392b6a7f63ed648f80e9d5a0616a.JPG

Earlier on I mentioned that I had bought a a Bachmann 56xx, this has also had an attack from the dry brush, it looks a lot better from normal viewing distance, honest. It is certainly better than the uniform black when new. Like the D it still needs coaling. I found Derek Huntriss's book Steam in South Wales very useful as a guide.

1627382236_P1040691(2).JPG.ac7bb096a3d781d9a8aa5ba6beff9d90.JPG

Finally a little moan, why do manufacturers have the couplings so far in front of the buffers? This is my birthday present Oxford tank wagon coupled to a Hornby Peckett, the distance between buffers scales out at 2'6". The Model Rail 16xx has come in for criticism on this point and rightly so.

2016557508_P1040699(2).JPG.8473cfcbf08f2c0accb730a864520ab8.JPG

Hopefully I will get a bit more motivated, possibly venturing into the British Railway period for my own use as well, after all a 94xx looks a really good model. I will use the tension locks with all their faults rather than 3 links etc. that  my Barry and GWR models use, future proofing my eyesight.

By the way, these pictures were taken on my test track inglenook which sits on the shelf of my workbench.

That's it for now, keep safe.

Brian

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well these mineral wagons should have been running through Sutton-in-Ashfield Town today at our exhibition, instead they are back in Wales.

IMG_5683.JPG.b8029fbf17c0cb83ce418c7f0b64d933.JPG

A train of empties passing through the station.

IMG_5688.JPG.5acaf4f7855abf36e4301e109bb63eb9.JPG

Heading up towards the colliery.

IMG_5692.JPG.9d460db4a123eebed689575a4bd343f6.JPG

Loaded and down to the docks.

I have tried to build a variety of wagon, a train of identical wagons never looks quite right, even modern block trains have variation, even if only due to weathering.

I'm still battling with the 47xx, I will get it working. If you don't know what I'm talking about, look at the Heljan thread.

Not sure what to do next, to be honest after over 50 years of modelling I have more than enough locos and wagons for my needs but I enjoy building them. Coaches are another matter, hopefully Slaters will get round to re-introducing the toplights etc. Quite certain I will get a mogul and a 94xx when they appear and I'll probably succumb to a 16xx. Rather looks like I might need some BR stock as well. 

Like everyone else on here, I do miss exhibitions and let's hope they return. Until the keep safe.

Brian

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

First of all my attempt at photographing from a different position.

IMG_5687.JPG.3fbba733aefcec276f3297e3e0708e90.JPG

By taking off part of the backscene, which I have to do when the boiler is serviced, I could place the camera on the track and get this shot.

On another matter I have now got a working 47xx again. I don't know why it didn't work before but when I tried the Dapol dummy plug again I had movement, hurray. More details on the Heljan thread.

IMG_5699.JPG.e1a51e6a4df32646e652e3cb7cc73f25.JPG

Put to work in South Wales(!) on a van train.

Now back to a wagon project.

Brian

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Having built several mineral wagon kits over the last few months I have some spare parts and for some reason a Parrkside chassis.

P1040700.JPG.af01d9800bd228e56ab37b834206addb.JPG

It would be silly not to use them so this is what I did. There is always plastic sheet and sections in the draw to use them with.

P1040708.JPG.032c44edf98baa7cc9a084a01537c5c9.JPG

I do not claim that the result represents any particular prototype but in amongst a train of similar 16t minerals it will take a real expert to pick it out. Ready for painting posed along side a Cambrian ex LMS wagon, this kit provided some of the spares.

Best wishes

Brian

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

For anyone interested in the railways of South Wales I have recently bought this new book and can thoroughly recommend it.

P1040706.JPG.a4067aa0579e5f2a7d0e80f46c7a05d0.JPG

It is the usual Pen and Sword format, plenty of photos, background information and weight diagrams. Pre grouping locos and their GWR rebuilds also feature and one photo was a particular bonus for me.

1538664059_IMG_5639(3).JPG.8169aed23e71e9a552d9d1aac302d6c9.JPG

One of my recent builds, a rebuilt Barry B1, has never looked quite right at the front end but a photo of a member from the same batch has made me feel a lot better. Even better, the photo was taken with the loco in the cutting outside of my grandparent's house. For some reason I haven't taken a photo of the completed model so I have had to make do with the one above.

Brian

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have to admit to being rather inactive of late, too much time reading and not enough doing. The virtual show at the weekend was most enjoyable and a South Wales engine announced in the form of the Kerr Stuart Victory. Will I be buying one, err no.

310258379_IMG_5702(2).JPG.1258563731ee1bfef9084d28a80eb011.JPG

A rather indifferent photo of my CSP kit.

There are a lot of new locos arriving at about the same time, I don't need them but can you ever have too many. The funds put aside from the sale of some 7mm narrow gauge locos is going to come in handy. 

After finishing the Barry D class I have been thinking about my future plans and it looks like I will be doing more British Railways modelling, a 94xx and a 16xx help to make that decision. I am also thinking of how I can fit a small 8' long portable layout in the spare bedroom, but those thoughts are at a very early stage. In the meantime I have more wagons to build plus a  2021 pannier.

Best wishes,

Brian

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

With the new Dapol mogul now appearing I will have to decide which one I want to buy. My future modelling is looking towards the circa 1960 period with the emphasis on things I can remember, however I am not thinking of building a new layout.

On the subject of moguls, I gave my old Mainline model a spin.

591643556_P1040709(2).JPG.6e2992cb9dc9288beba42248aaa3e65d.JPG

It works, but there is no fine control.

The same can be said of 7813 Freshford Manor

2088034428_P1040717(2).JPG.41f5653651579d26900b6da81b050843.JPG

Back to some more wagon kits now and further thoughts about the things that I would like to add to my collection. I know that I have too much stock for the size of my layout but I do get pleasure in building kits etc.

Best wishes

Brian

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I forgot to mention this on the topic of models reminding me of what I remember seeing in my train spotting days and earlier, that I long ago purchased the following.

A Hornby Hymek, it runs as well as ever but could do with it's wheels cleaning.

A Lima Western, same comments as the Hymek.

A Bachmann Warship, sadly this has started to succumb to mazak rot so now a non runner, oh well.

Brian

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Having decided that I will do a bit more BR modelling it is clear to me that I will have to weather all stock, previously I have only done wagons. A lot of advice suggests an airbrush, but to do this I would need to get out into the garage and although it is fairly well insulated to house the layout in the winter months the atmosphere is not conducive to spraying. Apart from that setting up the airbrush does get in the way of the layout. Dry brushing on the 56xx worked quite well at normal viewing  distances so I have now tried some coaches.

Many years ago I bought some Mk1 suburbans, I can't think why perhaps they were cheap. Anyway I have had a go, concentrating on the underframes and experimenting with washes on the lower body sides.

1425254535_P1040718(2).JPG.47b530e19ed30de7a368043ea364f48e.JPG

Before.

407118010_P1040719(2).JPG.63740fe454526a2b460a9f745a1a7b17.JPG

After.

The coach ends also needed painting black as did the wheels. I think that the roofs would also benefit from a coat of roof dirt. Not too happy with the sides but this is a learning curve and again the coach looks worse in a close up photo.

At some point I would like to see how I get on with weathering powders, Rob Gunstone's locos are an inspiration. 

There has been a lot of discussion about the Dapol mogul, well I decided to go for a black one, and after a brief run on the test track it has now gone of to Santa. First brief impressions were very good.

Brian

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

In a recent running session I have put the suburban rake into service, the weathering certainly helps the appearance and I still need to do something with the roofs.

10133629_P1040721(2).JPG.caa2e9603147c3e99daa73f59d6b77a5.JPG

1834707377_P1040726(2).JPG.8af0e4845edf5626912ad890b1cd492c.JPG

You may notice that the engine is now showing a lamp. I don't know where the lamp came from, it is whitemetal and needed a hole drilling to fit over the irons. Easy enough at the front but not an easy fit on the bunker. In the past I have only fixed lamps on engines which will always be on the same type of train, Castles for example, however I am looking to be more flexible on mixed traffic locos and of course many of my tank engines will be running bunker first. Any suggestions will be welcome. One thing I have noticed on a lot of layouts where lamps are used is that they show up really clearly whereas in reality they are often barely visible and no longer pristine white, a touch of weathering is needed there as well.

Best wishes to all and keep modelling, it certainly is helping me get through these trying times.

Sorry my photos are not as good as many that are posted, I am not a photographer and I can't usually be bothered to use the tripod for a few quick shots, also the garage lighting was not designed for a model railway, improvement is on my to do list.

Brian

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

It has been some time since I last posted mainly because I have not done much. A couple of Parkside vans have been completed to add to my more 'modern' stock. 

One unexpected arrival has been a Hornby Castle, on offer from TMC and thanks for the tip on the Hornby thread by rembrow. This will in time become Swordfish, I will give my reasons when it is done.

733504584_P1040734(2).JPG.79b256476bfe7e364270257c7f923154.JPG

Finally I have made a start on the chassis of the 2021 kit, I don't expect this to be a quick build. Fitting the brake gear is always fiddly but it went OK giving good clearance to the wheels. The next job will be to work out how to fit the pickups.

P1040733.JPG.eb020f66e1264b44462ef9aa94d9ac05.JPG

In the meantime, thanks to everyone who post their efforts on RMWeb, the inspiration keeps coming if not often acted on! If I don't post again before Christmas I will wish everyone best wishes for the season and most of all keep safe.

Brian

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

543066334_P1040555(2)_LI.jpg.2e7e3f6f113d9b2b09393e46bb193efa.jpg

I would just like to wish everyone the happiest Christmas that you can in these troubled times. Special thoughts to those who will be on their own through no fault of their own.

The engine is basically from my first train set which Santa delivered when I was about 6. It's actually a replacement for the original which Tri-ang sent after the original was sent for a service but I would not think of getting rid of it.

Brian

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

It has been a while since an update so a belated best wishes to all.

For a multitude of reasons I have not done a lot recently and none of it in the garage, it's a bit cold. Slow progress on the 2021, the chassis is all but finished, it needs painting and the pickups fitting.

870810199_P1040735(2).JPG.18bf5b55452b471435f696600c02c81f.JPG

Starting the body I realised the castings are quite soft so I fixed the valances and buffer beams to add some strength before moving on to the splashers. A trial fit on the chassis shows that it will need packing later on.

1237156256_P1040736(2).JPG.9e52c4a5cc2891ef32a05f88abd8171d.JPG

The splashers have been a real pain to fix! Getting them in the right position proved tricky and took several attempts before I found a method that worked. Part of the splashers are cast on the footplate the rest are separate so pencil marks helped in lining them up so that I could solder from the back. They are not a good fit and a fair bit of filling is needed, all part of the fun. Not having enough hands this is how I held the footplate allowing one hand to hold the splasher and the other the soldering iron.

185588755_P1040737(2).JPG.a222d1575d0eec52c271eb16779b8e62.JPG

Next job according to the instructions is the boiler/smokebox and then I'll have to decide which cab and bunker to use.

Finally, Santa delivered this and on a brief test it is a smooth runner, I don't use DCC so I expect it to stay that way.

Brian2007612402_P1040739(2).JPG.3b889418d19dcccd411f93cbb0a468d4.JPG

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

Oh b***** . I have just discovered that no matter how careful I try to be I still make mistakes! Somehow I managed to get the front and middle splashers in the wrong place, at least they have come off easily. More stress ahead, I won’t make that mistake again and if I do I won’t admit it.

Brian

Edited by 88C
Auto incorrect
  • Friendly/supportive 2