Llanforen, GWR in South Wales

88C

• RMweb Gold

Looking back it is 4 years since I started building a 2021 kit. It has been a frustrating build and certainly not one of my better efforts and it is still far from finished. Anyway, I'm currently having another look at it, the reason it was put to one side is that I was not happy with the way I had fixed the body to the footplate, it just didn't line up properly. The only solution was to take it apart and try again so that's what I have done. It is not perfect and there will be quite a lot of filler needed.

IMG_0306.JPG.09f899e90df12b947aa0354d2fd007a7.JPG

IMG_0307.JPG.baf56caf4789aa2e1c2eef8ba97dab4a.JPG

This is how it looks now with the cab, bunker and boiler fittings resting in place. Hopefully I can move on from here and end up with a reasonable model as long as the 3' rule is extended a bit. No criticism of the kit, I'm just making a hash of it.

IMG_0308.JPG.48a5ce68f8cc56414f08a71c0f58a5af.JPG

I usually have some wagon builds on the go, the LMS wagon is the latest to be finished, I am now trying to put a load in straight away. The coal wagon is waiting until I can get some solvent for the ABS parts, the local war gaming shop only has Humbrol.

That's it for now, I must get an Accurascale pannier ordered, it will probably arrive before I finish the 2021.

Brian

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Not a lot of progress on anything really. Still tinkering with the 2021 so hopefully it will look reasonable, it’s the bunker that I’m not happy with at the moment.

My wife and I went to the Pontefract show yesterday and really enjoyed it, some very nice layouts to look at, Carol appreciates the scenic details so plenty to admire. We also had a good chat with @Barry O reminiscing about Chris Foren and even spoke a bit about weathering. I had a cheap day and only bought the Plastic Weld which I need and some more couplings for wagon projects.

Brian

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

The next wagons from the Bedford stash are a couple of 3H LNER 6 plankers, at least that's what it says on the paper inside a poly bag. I have no idea what came with the kit but after assembling the body I had to make a floor before fitting the solebars, the photo shows how far I have got.

IMG_0309.JPG.25844e5c215f025235d29bfefd545332.JPGAlso in the bag were buffers, and brake levers. I know nothing about what these wagons are based on so my next question is did they have brakes on just one side or both? Anyway there were no brakes with the kits so I have raided my box of spares and found some and the bits and pieces that I kept from Chris's stuff has yielded some V hangers. Another question, are these the same type of wagon as the Oxford Rail one? If so that has brakes both sides.

I have probably mentioned before that I am not obsessed with details, as long as something looks OK I'm happy but that does not mean that I don't try to do my best. When it comes to wagons running round a layout in a train the minor details can't be seen. If I was building a small cameo layout that might be different.

Any help will be appreciated.

Brian

• Like 4

They're a bit of a vague thing, 3 Aitch marketed them as simply (IIRC) an LNER 6 plank 12 ton wagon, no other details, unless there was some indication in the instructions for what transfers were required, as there were none included in the kit.

There was a floor and brake gear though, some possibly useful pictures of a complete kit here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/364493555778?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=sqkjS1NVTUu&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=3qkTzGg7QRS&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

It does look identical to the 12 ton 6 plank made by Cambrian models, which also comes sans transfers. These had their origins in the Great Northern back in 1921.

https://www.cambrianmodelrail.co.uk/store/C81-LNER-12ton-6-plank-Open-Wagon-Kit-9-wb-wood-underframe-p94211417

This is the transfer set available: 

https://www.cambrianmodelrail.co.uk/store/Transfers-for-LNER-Version-of-Kit-C81-12ton-6-plank-Open-Wagon-Kit-9-wb-wood-underframe-p411910862

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks  Rob. The eBay site was very useful, especially the instruction sheet and it does seem to be brakes on one side only, I’ll have a better look on the desktop later. 

As for transfers, I bought sets of wagon transfers for all four companies from Modelmaster some years ago, they have been very useful even if I don’t use an authentic number. Reading posts on here they are probably unavailable now.

There might not have been any brake gear but I do have an extra side and end.

Brian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The problem with the brake gear has been resolved. I borrowed a book, LNER Wagons by Peter Tatlow, from the club library and it includes a diagram and photo showing brakes on one side. Incidentally the photo is of 144895, the same number used on the box seen on the eBay link.

Brian.

• Like 2

That's good news, at least you can complete them now and run them on the layout rather than them going back into the "one day" stash, something that we all seem to possess. 

I've got a number of wagons I'm not sure I have enough information on to finish off convincingly enough, as I don't know what diagram they are.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

There hasn’t been much time for modelling recently, last weekend we were down in Bristol to celebrate my aunt’s 100th birthday. A nice family gathering including my 102 year old uncle.

I have just been applying transfers to the recent wagon builds, I will post photos later but pedants be warned, the numbers are almost certainly incorrect.

Brian

• Like 3

Brian, my reading of LNER Wagons Vol 4A is that they either had separate brakes each side or that they had the Morton arrangement with brakes on one side and levers on both sides.  The clutch is on the brake side so the action is reversed and you are pushing the brake on.  Bill 

• RMweb Gold
On 01/02/2024 at 16:40, MrWolf said:

They're a bit of a vague thing, 3 Aitch marketed them as simply (IIRC) an LNER 6 plank 12 ton wagon, no other details, unless there was some indication in the instructions for what transfers were required, as there were none included in the kit.

There was a floor and brake gear though, some possibly useful pictures of a complete kit here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/364493555778?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=sqkjS1NVTUu&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=3qkTzGg7QRS&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

It does look identical to the 12 ton 6 plank made by Cambrian models, which also comes sans transfers. These had their origins in the Great Northern back in 1921.

https://www.cambrianmodelrail.co.uk/store/C81-LNER-12ton-6-plank-Open-Wagon-Kit-9-wb-wood-underframe-p94211417

This is the transfer set available: 

https://www.cambrianmodelrail.co.uk/store/Transfers-for-LNER-Version-of-Kit-C81-12ton-6-plank-Open-Wagon-Kit-9-wb-wood-underframe-p411910862

I never realised Cambrian had introduced transfers for their kits. I gave up trying to find ones for the Quint so they'll come in handy. I need to check through my stash to see what's left to build, I might even splash out on some for the NE 6plank and LMS D1666, much as i like the HMRS pressfix transfers, I find doing the numbers extremely tedious and it means many wagons are still in the unfinished pile.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the replies. @bbishop the photo that I found shows brakes one side with a Morton system so that’s what I have gone with, always worth keeping spare parts from kits. As for transfers, I have always found Pressfix difficult to position so generally I prefer water slide, each type have their uses.

Brian

• RMweb Gold

Sorry, no photos, I did take some this morning but when I tried to load them into the desktop the usb ports have stopped working. Another computer annoyance is that Microsoft have changed the system that has worked for ages and sent us to outlook, two of the three accounts work but not the third. When I was working any ‘upgrade’ was usually referred to as a ‘downgrade’. Fortunately I can access the emails on the tablet.

I had a job to do in the garage this morning so took the opportunity to have a play, you will have to believe me until I get the computer sorted.

Brian.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
On 15/02/2024 at 08:13, Graham T said:

I’m also a big fan of Pressfix transfers, but do find adding tare and wagon numbers a bit of a challenge!

Not just me then.

I don't have any specific Pressfix or Methfix preferences, so long as the xfers go on easily.  There are some dodges that help with small characters, but my hands will be shaking and my eyes playing up after a session of applying indivdual wagon or coach numbers.  Much better if you can use ready made complete numbers, and as I model early BR I can use CCT from that nice Mr.Isherwood.  When you need a different number not on the sheet, as one does sometimes for specific coaches or working up RTR wagons, combinations cut from other numbers can help, saving time and eyesight over individual number applications with the concommittant issues of spacing, levelling, &c. 

The aforementioned gentleman is amenable to requests for specific numbers as well, which I found very useful in numbering some of my auto-trailers, but does limit himself to BR period.  Please with price and quality as well, no connection satisfied customer.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I’m afraid that we need a new computer so until then I’ll have to make do with a tablet. Hopefully the local chap who does work on computers will be able to recover the files and photos from the hard drive which he took away with him. I have saved a lot onto an external hard drive but not the more recent stuff.

With all this and still dealing with ChrisF’s affairs there has not been much time for modelling this week.

Brian

• Friendly/supportive 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I’ve been out with a club layout at the Mansfield show today. I’m afraid we had a complaint, there was no bus on the bridge!

I’ll be back there again tomorrow.

Brian

• Funny 3

4 hours ago, 88C said:

I’m afraid we had a complaint, there was no bus on the bridge!.....

You meet some very peculiar people at model railway exhibitions...

• RMweb Gold

Just getting ready to set off for a day playing with blue boxes, can’t compete with a good pannier .

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The new computer is up and running and slowly getting used to it. Fortunately all the files and photos were retrieved from the old one.

I can now start posting about my modelling activities, starting with the NE wagons. All finished apart from weathering and some loads.

IMG_6206a.JPG.419ad770ca459b2234692f64c3275347.JPG

Another recent build has been a Parkside 7 plank coal wagon. It is actually black. The transfers are some very old ones which I probably bought at a WRRC meeting years ago, they are very fragile and despite being applied to a gloss surface the film is visible, more so in a photo, but weathering will hide it.

The next project is a Cooper Craft O4 but it has been slightly modified to represent a Barry Railway wagon. I have  also just started a Redcraft Barry 4w brake van. I have several already but another will be useful. The reason for doing some more Barry stock is that my Llanforen Shed layout is going to our show in October.

My experience of using DCC  over the weekend has not convinced me to change. Different locos behaved differently to the controller making station stops a lottery and I forgot to take some ear plugs. Each to his own!

Brian

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

An update on the recent wagon builds. 

First, the LNER wagons, now complete apart from one of them requiring a load.

P1050053a.jpg.fc31917d833644a3a597325709214b16.jpg

Next up a Slaters 3 plank awaiting weathering, a load and couplings.

P1050055.JPG.177e699e9dc481828b1fc86a4535918a.JPG

All of the above have used Modelmaster transfers. Several years ago I bought sheets for the Big Four and they have been very useful, however if you want accurate numbers there are separate digits on the sheet but I tend to use one of the full numbers for ease, I'm not obsessed about that sort of thing. I have read that @The Fatadder  has had problems with complete wagon sides, perhaps I have an earlier batch.

Finally, a Coopercraft 5 plank wagon slightly modified to represent a Barry Railway version. This model is destined to sit by the sand drier on Llanforen Shed when it is at our show in October.

I am working on a BR brake van, but progress has been delayed until I can stock up on supplies at York on Sunday. The shopping list is growing.

Brian

IMG_0335a.JPG

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

I had a great time at the York show on Sunday, lots of good layouts and lots of chatting, in particular it was nice to see Sherton Abbas again and talk with @wenlock and @Barry Ten.

I had a shopping list to stock up on consumables mostly but also some other things to have in stock for future projects. One thing that I am trying to do is personalise some older models which have slipped through the net, one of which is a Hornby Grange so I bought some plates from @247 Developments and have started work. Sadly I have found the first signs of Mazak rot have set in, hopefully it will run for a bit longer.

Earlier today I had a running session, I will post some photos soon. Pannier action.

Brian

Edited by 88C
Added content
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

For those who like panniers.

A few of the pictures from a recent running session.

P1050057a.JPG.ecd1789d214469818275e0ba2aa01914.JPG

P1050058a.JPG.50927ecdba2df3b865041482eaaa5072.JPG

P1050061a.JPG.a3785fb1651432e6ab7cef56f0c45b12.JPG

P1050063a.JPG.88405a320330df50e0c4c336f2a2249b.JPG

P1050064a.JPG.f80ce979326a4dce3db11deaea0d9b52.JPG

I am trying to improve the quality of my photos by using different settings, my new monitor shows a lot more detail.

Brian

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all the likes for the pannier pictures, I trust you all recognise the class.

Today some Grange photos. I have been experimenting with an extra light source but I will have to be a bit more aware of shadows. I have fitted the new plates and done some weathering, dry brushing on the underframe and powders on the body. Fortunately it is still working despite the chassis rot.

Held at the signal, I don't know where the crew have gone.

P1050074a.JPG.0bd614d44dbd6a8faf01e783d60265bf.JPG

Away we go.

P1050075a.JPG.084bc14cd61e8ecdaaa8d9d4e10aafe7.JPG

Crossing the stream.

P1050072a.JPG.a7e956288a9227714d1b6cc415adc8e9.JPG

Still need to improve my photography and get the tripod out.

Brian

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

No photos but an update on current projects.

I don't need any new models, but that doesn't mean I won't buy any, so I am trying to personalise models that I already have. At the moment I am working on a Hornby Railroad Hall, a bit of old school stuff to start with, carving off some of the moulded detail and replacing it with something better. New nameplates have been ordered from 247 and a start has been made on weathering. Since the original paint finish is fairly basic this model will be more heavily weathered than my other stock.

Progress on the Barry brake van has been a bit slow, there is a lot of beading to replicate and this is done by soldering fine wire into etches slots, a rather tedious job but done now. I used solder paint which I bought for the purpose at the York show. Still a lot to do before October.

Brian

• Like 3