I must admit that since we entered lockdown Llanforen has seen a lot more activity. Enjoying seeing the large engines on the likes of Stoke Courtney, A Nod to Brent and Henley on Thames I decided to get out my big guns. Normally if I want to give them a run I take them up to the club, not an option at the moment.

Earlier on I posted a picture of Powderham Castle missing it's nameplate, well this has been replaced and here it is heading a short train through the station. Sadly I don't have space for a long train.

1521851073_IMG_5647(2).JPG.1e2510f9fe24c132347673f6f78f8d19.JPG

Another Castle crossing the stream, this time Rougemont Castle, a fairly standard Hornby offering with some minor detailing.

1803018623_IMG_5649(2).JPG.8c3962d16964b897bdd2feb8db09c43b.JPG

Apart from operating, aka playing, I have been steadily painting the B1s. I tend to spray the main colour and brush the black and details, today's job was to do the transfers and hopefully tomorrow I will get chance to fix the plates. Then I will have to decide what to do about varnishing.

Brian

• Like 9

A bit of Barry Railway for a change.

710498921_IMG_5655(2).JPG.8993f390c46959039633745e593b24ae.JPG

IMG_5660.JPG.59a031ade72f20bdb920b065eccd4c34.JPG

The engine is a C class 2-4-2T but what is it pulling?

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Is that the Pay Clerks Van making it’s weekly trip around the system?

I thought you might know. It was built a few years ago after Tony Miller sent me the photo of part of it in the background and I took the basic dimensions from the diagram in Mountford’s book. A fair bit of guesswork needed. The C class is scratch built. As with most things Barry related photos are lacking.

Brian

It must be payday.  The most important day of the week.

Problems!

One of the Llanforen boards has to be removed whenever the gas boiler needs attention, well it did earlier this week, but at least the heating works again. When I put the board back and did some running the tracks across a joint were no longer level, fortunately the layout was built with adjustable legs and a bit of tweeking got things back to normal.

The next problem is not proving easy to solve. It involves this newly completed Barry B1.

2102124416_IMG_5663(2).JPG.2007e404bca93f458df31cd6ad789701.JPG

IMG_5664.JPG.e0e1d09e9d62023abc202ef58035392e.JPG

When running bunker first the pony wheels regularly derail at one point in the fiddle yard and occasionally on the 3way out of the yard. What is really puzzling me is why, since I have seven older locos with the same arrangement and thy have not given any trouble. I have added weight to the truck, tried springing all to no avail. Swapping the bogie with other models suggests that there must be something different about the main chassis but for the life of me I cannot see what. Isn't modelling frustrating at times.

On a more positive note I have got several projects completed, some I am happier with than others, getting a decent finish with varnish has been a pain.

1663846678_IMG_5639(2).JPG.1607d0faa2339fb209537c5da60ea338.JPG

All engines in the picture were sprayed with Phoenix gloss GW green. On the left is the paint without any varnish. In the middle a spray, using an airbrush, of Phoenix satin varnish, a new tin well stirred. It took all the deep green away and very disappointing. On the right the same green but a spray with Humbrol satin, my usual method but it was the last of the tin. I have since bought a new tin of Humbrol, opening the tin and giving it a stir it still looked grey, there have been comments elsewhere about this. After some experimenting on old models I have since given the saddle tank a spray with Phoenix gloss with a bit of satin which has improved things a little.

At least the wagon building has gone well, although I am slowly getting down my stocks.

That will do for now, be careful and keep safe.

Brian

• Like 8

It's been some time since I last posted anything on here so what have I been up to? 

Playing.

874304975_IMG_5665(2).JPG.3f58a253e3b70c77dce78ef917167527.JPG

I have been trying to give some different locos a run. This is an old Mainline 56xx bought at a train fair a few years ago for £14 as spares or repairs. It does work but like most Mainline stuff, not very well or controllably. Worth the punt but it is a long way down the list to do any work on it.

Building wagons.

1103965172_IMG_5666(2).JPG.12ed0fd9f425c48582d2402a269ff99b.JPG

My stash of kits has gone down. These have all been picked up cheaply at shows, the two vans are whitemetal Model Wagon Co. items, they give a bit of variety although in reality they probably didn't last too long in GWR ownership. The open wagons are the twin Ratio set and a Slaters coal wagon. Overall, I probably have too many vans compared to opens. A few wagons that I bought at the Nottingham show have been weathered, these are intended for use on a club layout but will be useful behind the Bachmann 94xx.

Finishing a coach.

1154870338_IMG_5667(2).JPG.5446218e583c3e2c017f79a0169be691.JPG

The coach, a Comet K40 full brake, needed mainly for the parcels train even though really intended for normal passenger trains. I must admit that building coaches is not my favourite modelling pastime, however over the years I have built quite a few. Many years ago I did some PC and MAJ kits with printed sides, maybe I should upgrade these with etched sides like @checkrail is doing with some of his coaches but somehow this isn't likely to happen. Hopefully the Slaters kits will re-appear.

I have also built a couple of rakes of Barry Railway coaches over the years.

Apart from that progress on the Barry D is slow, and I spend more time than I should reading RMWeb.

Keep safe and hopefully we will be able to go to shows and clubs again eventually. We have several dates in 2021 for various things that have been cancelled this year.

Brian

• Like 5

After quite a break since posting anything about Llanforen  I think it's about time so here goes.

Not a lot has changed apart from a couple of extra trees and the foliage on one has been replaced because I wasn't happy with it before. One thing that has changed is that the line has been a lot busier! Running sessions have been more frequent, sometimes just to play trains and others to do some testing or running in.

1936300060_IMG_5669(2).JPG.d2d4481122266005e08ae5b4a1ac64b7.JPG

In this picture the Barry D is on trial, the load in the tender is to give a bit of weight and despite this I am far from happy with it's running so I need to investigate why. The loco on the other hand is running nicely, sweeter in reverse so I'm happy with progress, slow though it may be. More details of the build can be found on my 88C's workbench thread in Kit building and Scratch building.

Some of my time has been building and weathering wagons for a club layout, Sutton-in-Ashfield Town, which is set in BR days.

IMG_5672_(2).JPG.c80fd4896f321bad9e770ae1a0a16008.JPG

The layout is Eastern Region so no excuse for a 56xx, but Hereford Models were advertising a BR one for a good price and I was tempted. Well I do have BR period wagons and coaches so I will be able to use them with suitable motive power. No doubt I will also end up getting a 94xx and a 16xx, well I do focus on South Wales. The 56xx will need weathering, it just looks wrong in uniform black, that's another skill I will have to learn at some time. After the recommended time running in the 56xx was hitched up to a train with suitable couplings. It runs so much better than my Mainline versions of course.

That's it for now so happy modelling to you all and keep safe.

Brian

• Like 3

Following the dodgy running of the D's tender I have built a new sub frame and this seems to have done the trick.

IMG_5673.JPG.2f047bb9e2e495b4578a9e909828b3d0.JPG

On test towing the track cleaning wagon.

1224531837_IMG_5674(2).JPG.fd11dac4838044791dd4f349aad67ee4.JPG

A bit more of a load, no problems on the slight incline and it will be better when the boiler is fitted properly and weighted.

One thing that I have become aware of recently is that this engine is really quite small for an 0-8-0. 

Must sort that tree before the next gale.

Brian

• Like 3

I have not done a lot of work on the layout recently but there are a few more trees.

P1040685.JPG.367f2097e0bc2258e9ef4e0b32305701.JPG

P1040686.JPG.46a9ce2ec105bd6e1228f27098b6554c.JPG

Some time ago I bought some cheep Woodlands Scenics clump foliage at a local swap meet and along with some of the armatures every so often I make a couple of trees. As they come the armatures are a little short of branches so using some rather poor plastic branches of unknown origin I add some more.

The corner near the station is still a mess, a repository for for sub standard trees at the moment and I still don't know what to do with it. My cousin, ChrisF, has described the layout as timeless, a feel that I would like to keep. Any suggestions welcome.

P1040688.JPG.77edc406088211a239f8469c367b9ee0.JPG

Brian, with apologies for not cropping the photos.

• Like 9