Spital Bridge - Whitby MRCs 7mm Urban BLT

Boris

37 minutes ago, colin penfold said:

The signalman in an armchair from Modelu is well worth getting Boris

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/129509-the-light/&do=findComment&comment=3058659

Thanks for the link Colin, my wife has fallen in love with the bobby sitting on the stool gossiping on the phone so that may well be making an appearance in the box in the future.  The P-Way guy with the spanner is likely going to be bought and left near the ballast bin on the layout as well.

• Like 2

At the risk of spamming our own topic we made solid progress tonight with cosmetic fishplates being added to board D, the loading dock base plate being trial fitted (essential as it is not a wholly square structure) and Mrs Boris' signalbox being trialed on the layout because she told me to.

The layout looks quite odd with 3D bits appearing on it now after having been completely flat for 12 months!

20190227_213752.jpg

20190227_213804.jpg

• Like 6

Whilst Mrs Boris is playing with her signal box I have moved over to the other side of the layout to start making the bare shell of the loading dock.  It is quite a simple plasticard structure, but in operating terms is important because it what gives the yard a little more flavour.  Its not a simple shape which is why the base had to be trial fitted last Wednesday before  the structure was assembled, because the dock also serves as a dumb end for the end on road it needs to be a solid structure so it doesn't move when buffered up to.

This has been achieved by giving the dock a wooden spine which will pin into the layout and reinforciing the end with a soldered brass substructure.  The dock also needs to be removeable because it covers a board join between boards C & D.

The plasticard will be clad with either embossed brick plastic or brick paper depending on my whims further down the line, the stones painted and the mortar lines deepend and highlighted and the slight well on the top filled with ash ballast.  I need to cover a few gaps in the structure with some filler and add an end ramp as well.  I might need to look at some cap stones or similar for the end ramp as well.

20190301_210808.jpg.78882fb68655a7f480d3d75067d848ce.jpg20190301_210816.jpg.0af1527930bd027c7725427c2ac46e3d.jpg20190301_210825.jpg.8b045612576dd1d30a86773710e2ad42.jpg

• Like 5

Mrs Boris has been quite busy with her signal box having finished the exterior and glazed all the windows.  The roof is a bit 2 dimensional so the next job will be to add some slate strips or individual slates to give a much more three dimensional appearance.  Once she has done that apparently the interior building can begin along with the fitting of lights.  i think she will also have to do something about some form of mortar on there.

20190305_195145.jpg

20190305_195201.jpg

20190305_195208.jpg

Edited by Boris
  • Like 7

On 05/03/2019 at 20:01, Boris said:

Mrs Boris has been quite busy with her signal box having finished the exterior and glazed all the windows.  The roof is a bit 2 dimensional so the next job will be to add some slate strips or individual slates to give a much more three dimensional appearance.  Once she has done that apparently the interior building can begin along with the fitting of lights.  i think she will also have to do something about some form of mortar on there.

20190305_195145.jpg

20190305_195201.jpg

20190305_195208.jpg

An excellent job!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have been busy painting my Gresley suburban set with thin washes of teak paint (yellow, Orange and Brown) aligned with the panel direction. I now have to cut out and individually fit about 140 windows - Arrgghh!  - Perhaps I will paint the "Ghost" N10 black first.

DSCF3451.JPG

DSCF3452.JPG

Edited by kes
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't made it to the club for a few weeks because of work, but in the meantime Mrs Boris has been extremely busy with the signal box, the roof is now finished aside from a couple of finishing touches and work has started on the interior and lighting.  Some of the furniture is in as is the clock and stove, to date she has finished about half the lever frame which so far includes a detonator placer correctly painted for a bidirectional single line and a cut down electric ground frame lever!  I think I saw a tensioning wheel for the distant as well somewhere.

There is still a figure to be sculpted and painted, the rest of the lever frame, a block shelf and a diagram that I know of.  She seems quite keen to have a 'bus phone near the desk and some form of SPT on the block shelf.

The back wall isn't quite as rough as it looks, its a really bad angle on the camera with the flash!

20190414_221505.jpg

20190414_221513.jpg

20190414_221542.jpg

Edited by Boris
  • Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Quite a lot of progress has recently been made on the layout with the cosmetic fish plates having been fitted to all boards, and track painting started in earnest.  Masking off the important areas of the points the track has been sprayed with railmatch sleeper grime and will now be painted with a suitable rail colour (tba).

20190501_204647.jpg.84567886dcca5ec3614f9e82c22cf6dd.jpg

Once that has been completed the fun of ballasting begins.

In other news Mrs Boris has declared the signal box to be completed, including the cat at the top of the stairs trying to get in!

20190505_211317.jpg.e758bfe6d3a735b42d53127ec7beb81b.jpg20190505_211617.jpg.ee0ed68d779f66c2e6bf6f04cc7f1710.jpg20190505_211624.jpg.734c2ce0a795d6aee642be291d15b3ef.jpg20190505_211632.jpg.cea815ba927c697f236cc9581acfb886.jpg

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

We have been making steady progress with the layout despite appearances!

The track was all basecoated with Railmatch Sleeper Grime and then the rails themselves painted with Vallejo Leather Brown.  The usual colour is Humbrol red leather which is a pain in the butt to obtain locally, but we do have a supplier of Vallejo paints and a supplier of GW paints, a quick comparison shewed that the Vallejo colour is definitely close enough.  Another deciding factor in this decision was the drying time, with Humbrol enamels usually being a couple of hours and Vallejo being considerably shorter as they are an acrylic - useful on a club night where you can get 2 coats on comfortably, cleaning brushes is also a lot easier as no chemicals are required.   It took about 3 weeks but both sides of the rail have been painted, a useful tip is to go round the rail with a very strong light, such as that on a mobile phone, so you can see where the paint coverage might be a little bit thin.

Once this was done the railhead was scraped off and cleaned with a sanding block and all the points etc tested before we start doing anything drastic like throwing ballast around.

One final thing to note was the obtaining of a part build goods shed kit for the layout very cheaply on Ebay, unfortunately it is about an inch too wide for the layout so it will be cut down and the side facing the public will be left open with a nice bit of detailing placed in the shed itself giving a 4 th wall effect, an interesting view should also be obtainable by leaning down slightly and looking through the goods shed windows onto the running line beyond.

20190612_212623.jpg

20190612_212628.jpg

20190612_212648.jpg

• Like 9

A little more fun with the goods shed over this weekend.  The crane has been modifed to fit and helps suppoer the roof, although nothing is fastened in at the moment which is why it looks a little wonky, the roof trusses require cutting back to the correct length and they have been modified to accept the different roof on the viewing side.  The roof on the far side has been turned round so the light sits in a slightly better place and the viewing side roof has been cut back and a blank piece put in ready to be tiled over otherwise it does not have much in the way of strength.  Still not sure about the office personally, but I am pleased with the way this is coming together.

20190616_214356.jpg

• Like 6

Just a quick witter for this update I am afraid, the wiring genius known as Kevin made it this week, just in time to discover that during last weeks testing we had somehow fried the rectifier and discover a Cobalt with a defective microswitch!  But on the bright side, after a lot of fiddling we did get to see his scratch built N10 run on some Gresley suburbans which was well worth it.  And we discovered that the modified Goods Shed does fit in the allocated space and so does the office, so from that perspective it was all good.  It was also quite nice to be able to shunt the yard with the 08 and for it all to behave itself, although its only 2 roads the end on dock really does add some operational interest as it gives a purpose to playing about, along with the cattle/horse/sheep/children dock being in a slightly awkward place to add interest for the operator.

The layout will be up again in full next week for more testing and tinkering so this time I will curb my excitement long enough to take a photo or two!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

We've had the layout up most weeks recently for testing, although last week we poked at a couple of scenic jobs instead, one was to fit a small bracket to stop the goods shed making a break for freedom off the edge of the layout if someone was a bit too enthusiastic with their shunting, and the other was measuring up the platform and canopies and coming up with a range of options in terms of price and style. 

In other news the Warehouse has been finshed to a basic standard for the show - the idea being to get as many identifiable scenic items in place as possible, finshed to a basic standard.  We can work on making them look prettier later, as you can see, the loading platform requires the stones shading for example and the walls need toning down and detailing.20190706_213036.jpg.7ec35d5d9e36803e03dc1133cb1925c8.jpg

20190612_212628.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...