D&S GNR Fox Bogies

Thanks Mick but unfortunately that hasn't helped. I have built the bogies to that stage but can't work out how the white metal castings and the remaining etched plate are fitted.

The NER ones are different and I have the instructions for those.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Mick but unfortunately that hasn't helped. I have built the bogies to that stage but can't work out how the white metal castings and the remaining etched plate are fitted.

The NER ones are different and I have the instructions for those.

post-27842-0-94048600-1521143563_thumb.jpgDoes this help. Ihope it is OK to post this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hello, building my first set of D&S GNR Fox bogies, very pleased to find this thread! Thank you to micklner for the photos & Baldyoldgit for the instructions, very helpful! I'm still a bit puzzled about the way the bogies attach though - please could someone take a look at these photos and tell me if I'm right? 

Stage one - shouldered threaded bearing is soldered, protruding downwards, inside the bogie mounting (part 8) which will attach beneath the underframe:

post-23465-0-39361800-1521971622.jpg

Stage two - mainframe (or pivot unit for pivoted end) sits on top with it's lower side just shy of flush with the bearing surface:

post-23465-0-97813700-1521971835.jpg

Stage three - securing bolt goes through washer & up into threaded bearing:

post-23465-0-37647200-1521971883.jpg

If that's correct, can someone please tell me how these parts (no. 7 on the etch) are used:

post-23465-0-09729600-1521971933.jpg

Many thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer, Chas  :)

The two etched parts you show are I believe the bolsters, one for each bogie. There should also be a white metal part with the similar 3 holes and a small casting depicting two springs mounted on a plate. In 4mm these are very small and are really cosmetic but mount onto the casting or the formed etch at the outer ends. This is shown on the diagram reproduced below... from the instructions already sent.

On the diagram , the two sketches of note are the right hand sketch which shows the bolster locating in the shackle.... at the area shown as 5..... the bolster being depicted as the straight line across the bogie chassis..... the shackle is shown in the side view of the bogie beneath the central pivot..... between the comments re "3to2" and 4(7).....below this sketch you will see the comment "fit springs to bolster etc "... this shows the whitemetal bolster with the springs attached at the extremity.

I tend to use just the etched bolster, bend up the sides, solder and then locate the springs and low melt solder into place.

I have attached 2 drawings of the GNR Fox 8' 0" Wheelbase bogie... low res (IMG-1801/2) but I hope it shows the position and form of the bolster, a picture of a bogie under a triplet set but the bolster is quite prominent inside the shackles(IMG_1804), a further picture of a Fox bogie in "Preservation" again showing the bolster but in a deteriorated state (IMG_1803)and finally a picture of some bogies I have been producing for a Dan Pinnock triplet set(IMG-1806)..... I have also included again the sketch from the D&S Sheet for info (IMG_1800)

I hope the above and attached help in finishing the bogies.

Steve

www.gnrsociety.com

post-457-0-26090900-1522536971.jpg

post-457-0-58846500-1522536980.jpg

post-457-0-32215100-1522536989.jpg

post-457-0-93718800-1522537001.jpg

post-457-0-17735500-1522537013.jpg

post-457-0-26275000-1522537025_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I have attached a higher resolution picture of the side view drawing IMG_1801, I should have also mentioned that the brown shaded area is the end view of the bolster. and also added a couple more photos of the "Preservation" bogie. The bogie was one of a pair located under a crane runner located on the Colne Valley Railway, the runner was the underframe/chassis of a Gresley 51'0" Elliptical Roof vehicle, the bogies have since been removed and now being used by the LNERCA for the underframe of an ECJS vehicle being renovated on the ECJS.

I hope the attached are of use to you.

Steve

www.gnrsociety.com

post-457-0-58557100-1522538153_thumb.jpg

post-457-0-97356300-1522538219_thumb.jpg

post-457-0-95483900-1522538258_thumb.jpg

post-457-0-05156400-1522538312_thumb.jpg

post-457-0-67529100-1522538351_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hello Steve, thank you so much for your replies! I had a couple of pics of full-size Fox bogies but none that made clear without explanation the nature & position of the bolsters - I now see it entirely and I shall wield the soldering iron quickly (before the in-laws arrive for Sunday lunch!)

One thing though - I'm still not clear about the correct usage / positioning of the threaded shouldered bearing (hope my terminology is right there, I mean the item shown in my first picture, protruding upwards from the folded etched bogie mounting). The hi-res pic of the D&S 250 instruction sheet you posted is a great help too and I realise the answer should be there but in spite of studying it I'm still not sure.

Or, are you saying that my original picture sequence about the mounting system is in fact correct? Looking at the pic of the bogie pair you're building though, it looks as if you've used those threaded bearings on the bogies themselves but I'm confused by that as they're threaded on the inside. Or are the two sort tubular things protruding from the bogie tops in your picture part of a different mouthing system? Without wanting to put you to too much trouble, could you perhaps post a pic or two of how to do the D&S bogie mounting/bearing side of things please?

Thank you very much, Chas

PS - just joined the GNRS a couple of weeks ago, reading through the GN News back numbers currently :)

• Like 1

The mounting brass bush is soldered into the base square , ensure that it is flush on the inside. The bogie sit on the bush and the screw holds it in place. If done correctly the bush will be slightly proud of the bogie and the screw/washer can be screwed down tight to hold the bogie in place. 

• RMweb Premium

Brilliant - thanks very much Mick! I thought that must be how it worked, but couldn't quite summon the courage to proceed without confirmation just in case I'd missed something...

And thank you again Steve for the superb diagrams and pics, which are very interesting to study in themselves, aside from their help in correctly making up the bogies.

The GNR Diag. 310 Milk Brake will now be finished considerably sooner, which is a good thing as my NPCS needs boosting urgently :)

Happy Easter modelling to all  :thankyou:

• Like 2

Chas, Mick,

I'm glad the information was of help in the posts above. One error crept in, the ECJS vehicle is being renovated on the NYMR.

Chas, as Mick has already confirmed your process is correct in the Stage one - Stage three photos.

I hope you enjoy the GNN Back Numbers, we have made available 2 disks of the earlier issues to members, I am hoping there was a Publication list in the new members pack sent ... alternatively check the website as the current issue is on there,

Many thanks again for the comments,

Steve

www.gnrsociety.com

• Like 1