REE Moyse locotracteur

Barry Ten

• RMweb Gold

A couple of snaps of my new REE locotracteur, which I picked up from BD Modelisme in Strasbourg, France, last week. It's a lovely little model, beautifully engineered with a compensated chassis and remarkably impressive on-board sound:

post-6720-0-73421900-1521121226_thumb.jpg

post-6720-0-61724600-1521121259_thumb.jpg

It runs like a dream, too, and seems pretty much stall-proof, thanks to some sort of stay-alive system, which means that the loco can be picked up off the track with the sound and wheels still running, and then put back down again after quite a few seconds. The only minor downside is that this one doesn't have lights, although I think some of the other REE versions do. There's a means of fitting a front coupler, too, if needed. Top marks to REE!

https://www.ree-modeles.com/catalogue/catalogue-n/machines-n/47-cat-h0/machines-h0/diesel-h0/406-locotracteur-moyse-serie-1

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

It's what I'd call compensated, although others might not! One of the two driven axles is free to pivot so there's no chance of one of the wheels not touching the rails. Not so hard to arrange in an 0-4-0 (sorry, 0-2-0) diesel with no coupling rods, of course.

I have only recently discovered REE Modeles and I'm very impressed with quality of the models that they produce, I have one question though and that is I'm very tempted to purchase on of their steam locomotives with sound and smoke as a retirement present for myself, but will the smoke damage the model overtime ? I have seen videos of these locos and the smoke looks to drift over the model when at a stand.

• RMweb Gold

I have only recently discovered REE Modeles and I'm very impressed with quality of the models that they produce, I have one question though and that is I'm very tempted to purchase on of their steam locomotives with sound and smoke as a retirement present for myself, but will the smoke damage the model overtime ? I have seen videos of these locos and the smoke looks to drift over the model when at a stand.

I haven't run mine with smoke long enough to find out, Brian, but I'd imagine the worst it will do is add a bit of grease to the body.

• Like 1

I haven't run mine with smoke long enough to find out, Brian, but I'd imagine the worst it will do is add a bit of grease to the body.

Many thanks for the reply Barry, they are well over £500 as you no doubt know, I'm going to give it a lot of thought in the coming days and make a decision on my next visit to A and H Models in Brackley.

These days, you do not have to use the smoke oil supplied. There are numerous, non-carcinogenic, vegetable oil based alternatives now, which will not cause damage to the loco, but will be just as likely to leave (far less harmful) greasy deposits elsewhere, over time.

Perhaps more importantly, you need to see one in action for real (a video can sometimes distort the effect), to decide whether it does it for you, for the extra money. Mixed opinions about smoke and diesel fume effects on here, over the past few years!

• RMweb Gold

Is that the Y2200, or Y2400 class?

LS Models did a Y2400 not long ago, as did another artisan (senior moment).

I see that REE are planning a Y2200 to follow on from the Moyse. As I wrote earlier, plenty of Moyse about as industrials, at least until recently. But I see that some were also used by SNCF long ago.

• RMweb Gold

One of the pacifics:

blogentry-6720-0-75997400-1415107356.jpg

Secret locomotive trails on the GW? Beware of bridges!

Edit to add: I was not dissing their PLM Pacifics. Just that the 141s more appropriate to my interests.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The 141s are marvellous looking beasts; I had to resist temptation last week, feeling that I already have a surplus of big French stuff.

But those 141Rs are not "big". They were the standard mixed traffic engine on the more hilly routes.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

• RMweb Gold

But those 141Rs are not "big". They were the standard mixed traffic engine on the more hilly routes.

Well, big compared to a Locotracteur, I suppose I meant. I have three pacifics (REE and Roco), two 141Rs (the Jouef ones, just to be clear) and a USA tank, but my collection is definitely

biased toward tender locomotives. I'll doubtless succumb to one of those PLM 141s before long. French stuff is just too tasty to resist!

• RMweb Gold

Rs?

I thought we were discussing REE products which are the former PLM 141s not those American imports.

Indeed we were. My keyboard seems to be working itself. Then again E is next to R so probably just my rubbish typing.

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

A couple of snaps of my new REE locotracteur, which I picked up from BD Modelisme in Strasbourg, France, last week. It's a lovely little model, beautifully engineered with a compensated chassis and remarkably impressive on-board sound:

It runs like a dream, too, and seems pretty much stall-proof, thanks to some sort of stay-alive system, which means that the loco can be picked up off the track with the sound and wheels still running, and then put back down again after quite a few seconds. The only minor downside is that this one doesn't have lights, although I think some of the other REE versions do. There's a means of fitting a front coupler, too, if needed. Top marks to REE!

https://www.ree-modeles.com/catalogue/catalogue-n/machines-n/47-cat-h0/machines-h0/diesel-h0/406-locotracteur-moyse-serie-1

I have bought one of the models for my British outline H0 layout, I think the chassis is tremendous. I bought the analogue version (this has a PluX16 socket but not the stay-alive capacitor under the short bonnet) and it seems very reluctant to stall, even on Setrack points where the wheels drop into the crossing and there is a large dead area. This is the model in an orange and yellow industrial livery, with headlamps front and rear.

I wonder, does anyone know of any use of these engines in Britain? There are photos online of later Moyse engines at work in Teeside, I'm curious about this particular design.

- Richard.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

In the meantime I have had my model in pieces to install a DCC decoder.

The cab pulls off and brings the long bonnet with it, and doing this releases the short bonnet:

post-14389-0-31994600-1538206266_thumb.jpg

The top of the footplate carries a PCB. This is the analogue version of the model - the DCC sound versions have more electrical parts including a stay-alive capacitor under the short bonnet:

post-14389-0-16577800-1538206277_thumb.jpg

My chosen decoder is the Uhlenbrock 73140. This is a PluX12 decoder onto the PluX16 connector on the model. I have had to tweak CV2 to a value of 2 to guarantee movement on the first notch of the controller. Two nice features of this decoder are a low-speed shunting mode on F3 (like the Lenz decoders) and the facility to switch inertia on and off using F4:

post-14389-0-68776000-1538206285_thumb.jpg

Finally a view of the chassis. The model still refuses to stall - yes I cleaned the track recently but this is a very fine 4-wheel chassis:

post-14389-0-17355100-1538206301_thumb.jpg

I cannot help thinking, the flat-top footplate could let the chassis spawn some different models. The wheelbase is 32 mm, so 9 feet in H0 and 8 feet in 00.

- Richard.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

That's a lovely model. I recollect seeing one at a coal washery near to Bedarieux (north of Beziers), back in the 1980s. The odd thing was that it had been fitted with a set of metal roller-shutters (as you see on high-street shop windows) to prevent unauthorised access to the cab.

Surely there must truly be a prototype for everything :-)

- Richard.