Andrew Barclay Cab and Injector Details

Hi

Can anyone share any images of the cab layout for the 14”/16” saddletank. I am building the Mercian 7mm model but I’m struggling with the sketchy instructions. I’m particularly interested in the internal coal bunkers and layout of the back head.

Thanks for any help

Bob

Edited by boeing7572t6

Have you had a look at the Hatton's 4mm scale A-B models? There are some views of the cab interiors on Hatton's own web site, and here in RMweb, in the thread dedicated to the Hatton's model. At least they may be of some help.

I don't know whether you plan to add a crew but I have seen a photie of one of the Aberdeen Gas Works Barclays being driven backwards [not uncommon] with the driver sitting on on top of the bunker.

I don't know whether you plan to add a crew but I have seen a photie of one of the Aberdeen Gas Works Barclays being driven backwards [not uncommon] with the driver sitting on on top of the bunker.

....and very comfortable it was too!  If you were skinny like me you could stretch out on the bunker top with your feet on the cab back rail - it only worked with an open back cabbed Barclay though!

Ray.

Not much to add but this great drawing from September 1948 Model Railway Constructor shows a pressure gauge on the spectacle plate above the firebox - you can just see the shadow of where it used to be on 'Katie'

post-30882-0-34644700-1521387221_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks again guys, in reply;

1. Sitting on the bunker looks fairly uncomfortable to me, I’m assuming the bunkers had no tops on them so I guess you’re perched on the coal. My model has a closed cab so no chance of your option Ray.

2. Nice pic DOCJACOB, I’ve had a look at Spitfire on the LWR site. Similar engine to my choice so the back head is good, but Spitfire seems to have a bunker behind the cab, mine has 2 flanking the back head inside.

3. Lastly, I could have done with that drawing earlier Barclay, I’m now too far into the build to go back but I seem to have guessed right mostly.

I confess I’ve never paid a huge amount of attention to Industrials, my interest lies with main line, however as a kid I used to play on the AB tank at Felsted Sugar factory so I’m trying to re-visit my childhood.

Thanks again

In fairness its an old picture of Spitfire and currently the cab is modified and looks much more Barclay like in my opinion.

When she came to LWR the coal bunker was extended off the back with 3 trap doors into cab for shovelling.

Now she has a straight back with a protective cowling over the hand brake, much more in keeping with the Tower Models job (as example)

At LWR this W/E (its volunteers day on Sunday 25th and a chance to come and see what goes on behind the scenes) and will try and get another image for you.

Edited by DOCJACOB

Thanks again guys, in reply;

1. Sitting on the bunker looks fairly uncomfortable to me, I’m assuming the bunkers had no tops on them so I guess you’re perched on the coal. My model has a closed cab so no chance of your option Ray.

The photie of the driver sitting on the bunker of Bonaccord is in the February 2017 edition of Steam Days.  

Like the other Aberdeen Gas Works locos Bonaccord [still in existence] has a closed cab - and by way of a peculiarity has unshipped the brake standard and enlarged the cut out for it in the rear of the cab.

It's not byond the capability of enginemen to cobble up a bit of wood to sit on top of the bunker to make a flat seat.

Ours had nicely made tops made out of c.1" tongue and groove - they could well have been original judging by the 'patina'.  I just sanded them down to get rid of the dirt gave them a couple of coats of stain/varnish.

Ray.

Well, this is unearthing all sorts of details, I’m amazed how much knowledge/experience there is out there. These little locos seem to have quite a following.

Bob

PS Thèse locos were originally delivered in a standard blue livery. Was there a default standard green?

Edited by boeing7572t6

The photie of the driver sitting on the bunker of Bonaccord is in the February 2017 edition of Steam Days.  

I should perhaps add that the photie clearly shows a "serious" side to the practice in that by sitting on the bunker the driver's face was level with the middle of the rear spectacle plate

PS Thèse locos were originally delivered in a standard blue livery. Was there a default standard green?

When we completely repainted Efficient (AB1598/18) c.1969/70 we copied the original livery as closely as possible.  IIRC the shade was 'Holly Green' and, as can be seen in the photo below was lined in white either side of a broad black line. Could this be the standard Barclay livery?  My fireman is demonstrating the 'sitting on the bunker top with feet on the cab back sheet' relaxation technique.

Ray

.post-23517-0-79480800-1521756656_thumb.jpg

Edited by Marshall5
  • Like 9

When we completely repainted Efficient (AB1598/18) c.1969/70 we copied the original livery as closely as possible.  IIRC the shade was 'Holly Green' and, as can be seen in the photo below was lined in white either side of a broad black line. Could this be the standard Barclay livery?  My fireman is demonstrating the 'sitting on the bunker top with feet on the cab back sheet' relaxation technique.

Ray

.attachicon.gifWill Naylor and self crewing Efficient.jpg

When Dalmellington Iron Co no 16 was being restored at Dunaskin we also found the original dark green underneath. The frames were the same colour but the lining is a straw/yellow not white and black.

Ian.

• Like 1

When Dalmellington Iron Co no 16 was being restored at Dunaskin we also found the original dark green underneath. The frames were the same colour but the lining is a straw/yellow not white and black.

Ian.

So are we talking about this livery?

http://www.hattons.co.uk/312306/Hattons_H4_AB14_005_Andrew_Barclay_0_4_0ST_14_2134_WTT_in_lined_green/StockDetail.aspx

Kind of, DICo no14 is a 16”. I don’t have access to my pc just now where the prototype photos are stored but this is my rendition of the livery on a model.

The full size engine is in the museum at Dunaskin and can be viewed on open days. First this year is on Easter Sunday.

This model was painted with the same paint as we used on the full size loco but it doesn’t look dark enough. I have been intending to repaint but just not found time yet.

Ian.

post-6089-0-94835900-1521803031_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

Cab view of Rosyth No1 at Blaenavon. Slightly modified in that she now has a rear bunker rather than the two side bunkers but the boiler fittings are standard.

post-8705-0-53565500-1521805562_thumb.jpg

I've practiced the driving sitting on the bunker trick over the years on both 14" and 16" locos, perfect when going backwards not so convenient going forwards. Firing is a little harder as you still need to get off to get the coal in the firebox!

• Like 1

I found these two pictures of the bunkers of 1614 NCB West Ayr Area No19 A 16” built in 1918 for Dalmellington Iron Co. and now at the Scottish Industrial Railway Centre at Dunaskin. The pictures were taken when She was having her boiler removed to put onto No 10, 2244 of 1947. You can see there is a bit of rust round the bottoms, they are sitting upside down!. The scale is inches. Hope this is of use. The bottom picture is upside down.

Ian

post-6089-0-28729200-1521810791_thumb.jpegpost-6089-0-64156100-1521810763_thumb.jpeg