24.5 Ton Mineral Wagons NEW TOOLING Due Late 2019

tmc

8 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Does anyone know what the yellow triangle signified?

Both the yellow triangle and N at the end of the number were to signify this is a 24.5ton wagon, not a 21ton one. 

The model grey is far too dark. BR grey was a very light colour when these were being delivered, and I doubt many were repainted later into a darker grey. This one shows the contrast between the original grey and the much darker grey used on a patch repair https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brmineralmeo/e1f2593b6

Paul

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, hmrspaul said:

The model grey is far too dark

The pics I've taken and shown are of weathered items. The unweathered versions I have here are a match for other pristine unfitted grey wagons from Bachmann

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

The pics I've taken and shown are of weathered items. The unweathered versions I have here are a match for other pristine unfitted grey wagons from Bachmann

The unweathered versions I have also don’t look out of character for BR grey. They’re certainly darker than the tone shown above, but in my opinion not by too much.

Edited by PMP
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Does anyone know what the yellow triangle signified?

That they were 24t variants rather than the visually similar size 21t. A similar thing was done with hoppers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

There were two distinct shades of BR grey. I believe the earlier version was darker as per these 24.5T minerals, but later on it was much lighter.

Bachmann have produced 16t minerals in both shades - see below (images just off google).

Darker:

image.png.d1306fecc46f42eca63122aea94c8a22.png

Lighter:

image.png.75a3a537e206e04dd4fd854b76acb9b0.png

Cameron

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Cue frivolity!

Should I get out my collection?  (I'm talking paint pots)

Edited by Porcy Mane
Correct spolling.
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

19 hours ago, Mophead45143 said:

There were two distinct shades of BR grey. I believe the earlier version was darker as per these 24.5T minerals, but later on it was much lighter.

Bachmann have produced 16t minerals in both shades - see below (images just off google).

Darker:

image.png.d1306fecc46f42eca63122aea94c8a22.png

Lighter:

image.png.75a3a537e206e04dd4fd854b76acb9b0.png

Cameron

B37236 is a pre-BR mineral wagon, it may have been in battleship grey but more likely to have been in MoT bauxite. It doesn't look like it has the double V independent brake or markings for bottom doors. 

Bachmann 4mm model 37-250H   B119610 is in a post 1973 rebodied mineral - no top door and curved bottom to the side. A reasonable reproduction of the condition when I photographed it in October 1975. Not a great guide to the BR finish on original body MEO, not least the correct painting of the solebar grey.   https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brmineralweld/efe7fab4

I realise that Precision paints suggest that BR grey is dark, as the owner told me many years ago Chas Roberts were wrong. There is a difference between the body grey and the door diagonal marking, but not so marked as appears on these models if the photos on here are accurate reproduction. https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brmineralmeo/e1d8c4b6f  Admittedly Andy's weathering is very good, most in later life were closer to brown black than any other colour - most of the fleet appears to have avoided repainting during their brief 20 - 25 year lives. 

Changing topic slightly, Nice photos of MEO in NCB use class 08 shunter prototype photos - Page 22 - UK Prototype Discussions (not questions!) - RMweb   08492 & 08389 at Barnburgh Colliery 1989  Very interesting late survivors. 

Paul

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Pillar, They certainly did we have photographic evidence from Tees Yard and a photo of one labelled to work between Burradon Group Collieries & Stella Power Stations.

There were not too many places on the network they didn't reach, during our research we found photographs from many parts of network, the wagons often bearing route wording many miles [often hundreds of miles] from where they were originally intended to work.

Hope this helps.

1 hour ago, tmc said:

Hi Pillar, They certainly did we have photographic evidence from Tees Yard and a photo of one labelled to work between Burradon Group Collieries & Stella Power Stations.

I have never heard of any references to 24.5 ton minerals working in Northumberland but the 24.5 ton hoppers were!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

I have never heard of any references to 24.5 ton minerals working in Northumberland but the 24.5 ton hoppers were!

I used to pass Stella South almost every day in the early 1980s, and only saw hoppers there. Initially, they were HTO and HUO but, in the period between the end of the miner's strike and closure, the then-new HBAs arrived.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

I used to pass Stella South almost every day in the early 1980s, and only saw hoppers there. Initially, they were HTO and HUO but, in the period between the end of the miner's strike and closure, the then-new HBAs arrived.

On 07/07/2021 at 20:50, Pillar said:

Thanks, that sounds promising. Have the photos been published anywhere? I'd be especially interested in recreating the Stella power station lettered example.

The photo collection we have access to has not been published in full but individual photographs from the collection have appeared in several publications. We are not sure whether the two photographs we refer to have ever been published. The photographs we have access to were taken over a period from mid 1950's to mid 1970's so it is probable that any that were used in the Northumberland area had gone by early 1980's. 

1 hour ago, tmc said:

The photo collection we have access to has not been published in full but individual photographs from the collection have appeared in several publications. We are not sure whether the two photographs we refer to have ever been published. The photographs we have access to were taken over a period from mid 1950's to mid 1970's so it is probable that any that were used in the Northumberland area had gone by early 1980's. 

Who’s collection do you have access to?

13 hours ago, tmc said:

Any chance you could share some details regarding running numbers, types of buffers, doors, placement of text, presence of yellow triangles etc? I'd love to have a go at recreating the Stella one.

Edited by Pillar
  • Like 1

Hi, just to confirm it is David Larkin's photo library we have access to for research and the wagon above is the wagon we were referring to. It appears to be in original condition when the photograph was taken that is Spindle Buffers, Oil Axle Boxes, Single door banger and pressed side door [model 38-926Z has all these features]. The pressed side doors don't appear in that many of the photographs we had access to but all those that do have this type of door are from Lot 2600 and B281549 was one of them. When photographed the wagon did carry the yellow triangle and the tare weight was 10-2.

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, zr2498 said:

Strange!

These are not shown as in stock on the TMC web site but clearly they have landed?

From what I was told a number of pre ordered ones where air freighted in for customers and the other wagons are on the high seas or landed at ports / will be arriving very soon

• Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...