Jump to content

24.5 Ton Mineral Wagons NEW TOOLING Due Late 2019


Recommended Posts

The Min 24s were not that common in South Wales- they were too tall for many colliery screens. One flow they were used for was from Brynlliw (near Gorseinon) to Carmarthen Bay Power Station; Brynlliw used a couple of large tractor-shovels to load them. My recollection of watching trainloads pass was that they almost all carried 'Load to' or 'Empty to' brandings, but none were for the working they were on.

i agree, it was MDx I was mentioning as being in South Wales. By the 1980s the MDOs dominated the staithes traffic. Initially many MDVs were on South Wales flows. But you know this.

 

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
Link to post
Share on other sites

See you Jimmy.

 

So it's no' the Whisky Covhops!

 

Wee sassenach ###### that ye are.

According to Larkins two books a good proportion of the MEOs fleet was in Scotland - a lot commoner than Whisky covhops.

 

Paul

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 years later...
On 11/08/2020 at 07:56, Enterprisingwestern said:

 

Join me in buying some Parkside kits, I've given up on them!

 

Mike.

I combined Parkside's excellent body with the chassis from their 21t hopper kit (mouldings bought as spares from Peco) which, with a little modification, are more refined and fit perfectly.  You also get roller bearing axleboxes as an alternative (Oleo buffers from LMS)...

  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

 

I did wonder if Peco were doing sprue spares as Parkside used to, although obviously not at exhibitions at the moment.

Did you obtain them via email/phone call?

 

Mike.

 

 

Yes, I was really pleased that they are continuing with this.  I initially emailed the Technical Advice Bureau and ended up talking to a very helpful person on the phone and paid by credit card there and then.

 

Mark 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Mark C said:

Yes, I was really pleased that they are continuing with this.  I initially emailed the Technical Advice Bureau and ended up talking to a very helpful person on the phone and paid by credit card there and then.

 

Mark 

Thanks for asking them, Mark. Did they give an idea of a price per sprue? 

Thanks

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

Thanks for asking them, Mark. Did they give an idea of a price per sprue? 

Thanks

Each sprue costs £3 plus p&p.  You need two sprues per wagon (each has got a solebar, bufferbeam, brakegear and two of each of plain front and roller axleboxes).  I had the bodies in stock but I would expect they can be similarly bought as spares.  When you add transfers, wheels and Oleo buffers (if required) the cost is not far adrift from the proposed RTR price.  I've put photos (some weeks ago) on Wright Writes...

 

Regards 

Mark 

  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mark C said:

Each sprue costs £3 plus p&p.  You need two sprues per wagon (each has got a solebar, bufferbeam, brakegear and two of each of plain front and roller axleboxes).  I had the bodies in stock but I would expect they can be similarly bought as spares.  When you add transfers, wheels and Oleo buffers (if required) the cost is not far adrift from the proposed RTR price.  I've put photos (some weeks ago) on Wright Writes...

 

Regards 

Mark 

Thanks, Mark. I had availed myself of this service form Parkside on several occasions, and am glad to see Peco continuing with it. 

  • Agree 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We have received the Engineering Prototypes for our forthcoming 24.5T Mineral wagon from Bachmann which show the combinations of standard doors, pressed doors, three types of buffers, two different door bangers and axleboxes. 

 

38-933Z_EP.jpg.a1cadb6ce2b9fa846bfd2cfac772e413.jpg38-933Z38-932Z_EP.jpg.202b6f1a14eab64a533cd021e0b2d4e7.jpg38-930Z38-930Z_EP.jpg.e4b8386ffa6555401e2b4b3e4357f3f6.jpg38-932Z38-929Z_EP.jpg.15a73122831a5ac4518039848f30ca4c.jpg38-929Z38-928Z-B_EP.jpg.b1de48fcbfca2d0ed7d4a9611304aa8a.jpg38-928Z-A38-928Z-A_EP.jpg.d4ef54a843f25c65b813bd264a1333a9.jpg38-928Z-B38-926Z_EP.jpg.63f75d56f7ff0facacaf7d5545f35a80.jpg38-926Z38-925Z_EP.jpg.4fd06ac073b293f24c7323ded8688bd3.jpg38-925Z

 

The following wagons will be available and can now be ordered on TMC website :-

 

38-925Z Twin pack in BR grey livery with Spindle Buffers and Oil Axleboxes [B280009 & B280037]

38-926Z Single pack in BR grey livery with Pressed Side Doors, Spindle Buffers and Oil Axleboxes [B282087N]

38-928Z Twin pack in BR Grey livery with yellow triangle, Spindle Buffers and Roller Bearings. One wagon with standard doors [B281146] and one with Pressed Side Doors [B281982] 

38-929Z Twin pack in BR grey livery with yellow triangle, Oleo Buffers and Roller bearings [B282904 & B282891]

38-930Z Single pack in BR grey livery with yellow triangle, Self-contained Buffers and Roller Bearings [B282299]

38-932Z Single pack in BR grey livery with yellow triangle, coded COAL 24 ½ , Self-contained Buffers and Roller Bearings [B282217N] 

38-933Z Single pack in BR grey livery with yellow triangle, coded COAL 24 MEO, Oleo Buffers and Roller Bearings [B282827]

 

We will show photographs of liveried pre-production samples on here once they become available and advise delivery date once confirmed. 

 

Background:

3,395 of these wagons were built between 1952 and 1962 at British Railways Shildon and Ashford works. A number of these wagons were originally allocated to dedicated traffic flows in block trains to power stations and steel works around the network but many of these wagons soon migrated to general traffic flows, often retaining their dedicated branding,  so that they could be found in many parts of the country. They lasted into the TOPS era so are suitable for layouts covering a wide time span, final withdrawals coming in the 1980’s.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, beancounter said:

which of these are pre TOPS please ?


As 38-933 has a TOPs code... MEO... is it reasonable to assume the rest are pre TOPs?

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/12/2020 at 19:45, Phil Bullock said:


As 38-933 has a TOPs code... MEO... is it reasonable to assume the rest are pre TOPs?

Hello Phil,

 

That is correct, the rest have pre-TOPS markings although it is clear from the dates of the photographs used to design the artwork that several of the other wagons being produced would or could have run in the TOPS era exactly as they are being produced. It appears that these wagons were not repainted very often and that it took years for TOPS codes to be applied.

 

Hope this helps.

All the best,
TMC

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, tmc said:

Hello Phil,

 

That is correct, the rest have pre-TOPS markings although it is clear from the dates of the photographs used to design the artwork that several of the other wagons being produced would or could have run in the TOPS era exactly as they are being produced. It appears that these wagons were not repainted very often and that it took years for TOPS codes to be applied.

 

Hope this helps.

All the best,
TMC


Many thanks folks.... and that was certainly the case with wagons , they were the bottom of the pile when it came to non essential maintenance.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.