aselley

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

So I've been lurking for a few weeks as I plan, reject, re-plan, and then re-reject my own ideas for a small GWR coastal BLT, but I think the time has come to start sharing my ideas and hopefully get some feedback from many of the talented builders here: The work of Andy P and John Flann are really inspiring.

Long story short, while recently visiting my father in Australia, I was drafted into helping him with his new model layout, and thus inspired I decided to embark on my own, out of both my own interest and as a way for he and I to keep each other inspired as we shared our progress.

So I’m a complete newbie to model railways, meaning the last time I did anything with trains was probably my early teens, and then it was only briefly. The intervening decades were spent miniature wargaming, so I think I can handle the scratchbuilding part of the hobby, but it will be a crash course on everything else.

With limited space (apartment living does that) my layout will be a 1650mm x 500mm branch line with hopefully some shunting possibilities, probably based on Inglenook.

Apart from the size constraints, thus far my only ideas are:

• 00 Gauge
  • Set either on the Devon or Cornwall coast, so probably a small quay will be included. (Dad was born in Torquay which is why we are both building GWR layouts)
  • Set in 1940's, suiting either early war or later war period.

I’ve sort of settled on this layout:

post-33869-0-03124400-1521200851_thumb.png

Though I’m not married too it so any criticism or suggestions are welcome.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi. And welcome back!

With that sort of space to play with, you would be much better off working in N. Really not enough for any sort of passenger working in 00.

If it really must be 00, you will need to cheat a bit, probably by only modelling part of the station with a view blocker (bridge or large building) hiding the "rest". You may find the thread on "Cameo" layouts useful in that respect.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

• RMweb Gold

Hi. And welcome back!

With that sort of space to play with, you would be much better off working in N. Really not enough for any sort of passenger working in 00.

If it really must be 00, you will need to cheat a bit, probably by only modelling part of the station with a view blocker (bridge or large building) hiding the "rest". You may find the thread on "Cameo" layouts useful in that respect.

Hi Joseph,

I agree N gauge would give me "more bang for my buck", and with the limits of size enable me to do a lot more. But for a variety of reasons I am moving forward with 00, two chiefly being, my dad got me started on 00 while I was visiting, and secondly the failing eyesight has made 15mm wargaming troops hard enough to see without trying to model in a scale even smaller.  :laugh:

I will check out the "Cameo" layouts, and thank you for the welcome.

Hi Joseph,

I agree N gauge would give me "more bang for my buck", and with the limits of size enable me to do a lot more. But for a variety of reasons I am moving forward with 00, two chiefly being, my dad got me started on 00 while I was visiting, and secondly the failing eyesight has made 15mm wargaming troops hard enough to see without trying to model in a scale even smaller.  :laugh:

I will check out the "Cameo" layouts, and thank you for the welcome.

Another welcome from me too.

Like you I’m a historical wargames / collector. I find it great that I swap from one hobby to another when enthusiasm wavers.

What I like most about this particular hobby is the building and detailing of the layout and stock.

I’ve built what I consider to be a nice layout following tips and guidance from other very talented modellers on this forum. These guys have given me far more than inspirational ideas.

So its going to 00. Will you be going Dcc control

Good luck Dan

• RMweb Gold

Another welcome from me too.

Like you I’m a historical wargames / collector. I find it great that I swap from one hobby to another when enthusiasm wavers.

What I like most about this particular hobby is the building and detailing of the layout and stock.

I’ve built what I consider to be a nice layout following tips and guidance from other very talented modellers on this forum. These guys have given me far more than inspirational ideas.

So its going to 00. Will you be going Dcc control

Good luck Dan

Thanks Dan

I think the ability to swap and combine hobbies is a great part of it.

Yes, I will go DCC, probably because I understand computers  far more than I understand wiring. added to which the "starter kit" my dad got me included an e-link and Railmaster, and I had a spare PC sitting around (I use Mac) so I figured why not? Though I realise there are probably better systems around, so I will use what I have. The same reason I am going to use setrack 100, because I have it, and for a first foray into trains I don't want to lose motivation from lack of progress and give up.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you.

I’m thinking it will go at the top right. Along the curve and right to the edge of the board.

My idea is to have the layout complete but leave a couple of options for expansion, if possible, at some later stage. Possible turning a terminus into a through station.

So I’m trying to keep my imagination under some control after seeing so much inspiration here.

• RMweb Gold

How about this:

post-32492-0-92620200-1521276702_thumb.png

It's the same topology as your design (which is actually a very common pattern) but hopefully a bit more flowing.

I assume the curve off the board to the right leads to a fiddle yard of some sort??? I hope so!

P.S. Some people might say the the spur above the quay will be really difficult to shunt. They're right but you can argue that that's a good thing because it makes operations more challenging and keeps the locos working on scene a bit more.

Edit: P.P.S. There is room for a tank engine, such as a small prairie or shorter, to run round two coaches standing at the platform. Something like a B-set or a pair of clerestory coaches.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

How about this:

attachicon.gifAselley 1.png

It's the same topology as your design (which is actually a very common pattern) but hopefully a bit more flowing.

I assume the curve off the board to the right leads to a fiddle yard of some sort??? I hope so!

P.S. Some people might say the the spur above the quay will be really difficult to shunt. They're right but you can argue that that's a good thing because it makes operations more challenging and keeps the locos working on scene a bit more.

Edit: P.P.S. There is room for a tank engine, such as a small prairie or shorter, to run round two coaches standing at the platform. Something like a B-set or a pair of clerestory coaches.

Thanks Phil,

This has definitely given me something to think about, so cheers.

At this point I am not sure if the fiddle yard will be on the left or right. I have it in my mind that I might want to expand the layout at some point, so I am looking at, and gaining inspiration from the many, different ways people have done it here on RMWeb. But yes there is room for a small fiddle yard (on an extra board) at either side of the layout.

And as for a difficult shunt, I totally agree with you in that at least it gives you a challenge  :)  

• RMweb Gold

Looks good Anthony, also Check out John Flann's Hintock St Loe, and Hintock  / Port Bredy Layouts.

Thanks Andy,

I have read John's entries from the start, and am a little in awe how he (and you) regularly just hack into your layouts to make changes and yet still keep them looking amazing.

Porth Merryn has been very inspiring when it comes to planning a port. So thank you.

• RMweb Gold

post-33869-0-58163700-1521447835_thumb.jpg

So I think I finally settled on a plan. Much like the previous one with a few changes and a smaller quay area which let me slide the whole layout forward and give me more room at the rear.

So next step was/is building the baseboard, and adding some raised sections to give some terrain variety and put in the platform section.

post-33869-0-25791500-1521448081_thumb.jpg

post-33869-0-66558100-1521448111_thumb.jpg 

At this point the track is just "tacked" down and not yet fully fixed. Next job, wiring up for DCC.

• RMweb Gold

Looks like you have made a good start best of luck with the project.  :sungum:

Thanks...I feel like this has been the somewhat easy part, and that from here it will get a little harder.  :)

Hi Anthony

Welcome to the forum and following the lead set by John & Andy is no bad thing, they were two of the people I followed when I first joined.

I'm not sure what help I can give as I tend to model what I see, no imagination for track plans and freelance buildings whatsoever so it's the real thing or variants of for me. Enjoy your time on here as there is plenty of inspiration to be found.

Jim

Hello Anthony - welcome to RMWEB,

I see you have lost no time in getting a baseboard built and some track laid, and sketching out a basic layout design.This is a good thing because it keeps the enthusiasm for the project fresh and the mind receptive to any new ideas.

Must say I like the design produced by Phil  (Harlequin of this Parish..) -He has a certain flair for this type of work!!   Your plan is also well thought out, - though I think you will struggle to get two coaches inside the runround loop - which will in turn limit your passenger working to using just single coach trains, or push - pull/autotrailer stock. Maybe something to think about.?

My layout 'Sproston' is only 6 7" x 5 1" (sorry I'm just old fashioned - tend to work in feet and inches ),the baseboard being made from two flush wooden doors fixed together.

Regards

(SIGTECH)

Steve.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Let me add my welcome to the madness, and make some minor suggestions that I think will improve the operation.  These are very much a matter of personal taste, and what I would do in your situation may not be right for you, but I'm gonna put my 5 penn'orth in anyway, cos that's the way we roll in our house...

You have captured the general feel of a harbourside branch in the South West very well, especially the GWR ones, and I can see elements of St Ive's, Kingswear, and Lostwithiel in it.

I think you will regret the loco shed, and find it will be far more useful as a goods siding.  It might be located in the bay platform instead.  I would have extended the quay to the left, or maybe had another part of the harbour coming in behind the harbourmsster's office, so that freight can be transhipped into coasters with a Kitmaster dockside crane.  Many of these little places imported domestic or gas works coal by sea from South Wales, and exported local produce as return loads in the same ships.  

I very much like the fish depot, which will attract fish vans and insulated/refrigerated vehicles.  But you are modelling wartime, and fishing was highly restricted, not to mention very dangerous; it has likely been commandeered for military use.  If you model the 1944/5 period, ports like this were very busy with military traffic in the lead up to the Normandy landings and the supply operation for the advancing Allies afterwards, indeed this activity lasted well into 1946 as the Allied presence on mainland Europe was still massive and had to be both supplied from the UK as local production was bombed flat and the long process of recovery of men and equipment.  

This leaves you without a goods shed, but I wouldn't worry too much about that; it might be 'off scene' further towards the centre of town and need a trip working off the layout.  You can include it on a future extension.  

My advice for a wartime layout is not to overdo the blitz stuff.  Anti Aircraft guns, barrage balloons, bombed out buildings, Spitfire on a string; this is a small fishing port in the West Country, not the east end of London, and the worst of the action will have likely passed it by!  By all means go for a dusty, war weary, look, windows taped against blast damage, and men in uniforms on the platform, maybe even a military presence on the quayside with a working party loading a coaster or landing craft, a couple of them skiving off for a fag round the back out of sight.  But go easy on the tanks, troop carries, and ambulances, the odd jeep or staff car will be enough!  This has been done to death already!

Keep the photos coming; it is always interesting to see how other people go about things.  Good luck, and most of all, enjoy yourself!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Anthony

Welcome to the forum and following the lead set by John & Andy is no bad thing, they were two of the people I followed when I first joined.

I'm not sure what help I can give as I tend to model what I see, no imagination for track plans and freelance buildings whatsoever so it's the real thing or variants of for me. Enjoy your time on here as there is plenty of inspiration to be found.

Jim

Thanks Jim,

You might have no imagination for track plans, but having just spent the last hour going through your layout you have a masterful eye and skill at scratchbuilding. Truly amazing stuff.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Anthony - welcome to RMWEB,

I see you have lost no time in getting a baseboard built and some track laid, and sketching out a basic layout design.This is a good thing because it keeps the enthusiasm for the project fresh and the mind receptive to any new ideas.

Must say I like the design produced by Phil  (Harlequin of this Parish..) -He has a certain flair for this type of work!!   Your plan is also well thought out, - though I think you will struggle to get two coaches inside the runround loop - which will in turn limit your passenger working to using just single coach trains, or push - pull/autotrailer stock. Maybe something to think about.?

My layout 'Sproston' is only 6 7" x 5 1" (sorry I'm just old fashioned - tend to work in feet and inches ),the baseboard being made from two flush wooden doors fixed together.

Regards

(SIGTECH)

Steve.

Hi Steve,

Well I will confess it was actually my third attempt at a baseboard, the first two being rejected for being too flimsy and then not big enough respectively. Added to which it was an excuse to go and buy a new set of tools.

I spent lots of time working on the plan, and there were lots of rejects before I got to the point that if I didn't start something I would be tweaking, deliberating and rejecting forever, which kind of defeats the purpose of letting me "play trains" and be a little creative building the terrain.

I do see what you mean about the runaround, and it's something to consider, especially in regards to how I want to envisage the area being used. At the moment I would say that passenger traffic was limited at this branch during the war and it was mainly freight. But that's more an excuse because I don't own any passenger coaches...yet.

• RMweb Gold

Let me add my welcome to the madness, and make some minor suggestions that I think will improve the operation.  These are very much a matter of personal taste, and what I would do in your situation may not be right for you, but I'm gonna put my 5 penn'orth in anyway, cos that's the way we roll in our house...

You have captured the general feel of a harbourside branch in the South West very well, especially the GWR ones, and I can see elements of St Ive's, Kingswear, and Lostwithiel in it.

I think you will regret the loco shed, and find it will be far more useful as a goods siding.  It might be located in the bay platform instead.  I would have extended the quay to the left, or maybe had another part of the harbour coming in behind the harbourmsster's office, so that freight can be transhipped into coasters with a Kitmaster dockside crane.  Many of these little places imported domestic or gas works coal by sea from South Wales, and exported local produce as return loads in the same ships.  

I very much like the fish depot, which will attract fish vans and insulated/refrigerated vehicles.  But you are modelling wartime, and fishing was highly restricted, not to mention very dangerous; it has likely been commandeered for military use.  If you model the 1944/5 period, ports like this were very busy with military traffic in the lead up to the Normandy landings and the supply operation for the advancing Allies afterwards, indeed this activity lasted well into 1946 as the Allied presence on mainland Europe was still massive and had to be both supplied from the UK as local production was bombed flat and the long process of recovery of men and equipment.  

This leaves you without a goods shed, but I wouldn't worry too much about that; it might be 'off scene' further towards the centre of town and need a trip working off the layout.  You can include it on a future extension.  

My advice for a wartime layout is not to overdo the blitz stuff.  Anti Aircraft guns, barrage balloons, bombed out buildings, Spitfire on a string; this is a small fishing port in the West Country, not the east end of London, and the worst of the action will have likely passed it by!  By all means go for a dusty, war weary, look, windows taped against blast damage, and men in uniforms on the platform, maybe even a military presence on the quayside with a working party loading a coaster or landing craft, a couple of them skiving off for a fag round the back out of sight.  But go easy on the tanks, troop carries, and ambulances, the odd jeep or staff car will be enough!  This has been done to death already!

Keep the photos coming; it is always interesting to see how other people go about things.  Good luck, and most of all, enjoy yourself!

I'm not wedded to the idea of the engine shed, I just read somewhere that most GWR lines had one, but I could easily "leave it" for a future expansion and at the moment just pretend its of board. I do realise that fishing was both restricted and very risky during the war, and so was thinking of co-opting the fishing facility for something else (military), but still hinting at it roots. Much the same that I hope to model the boat shed as more of a shipwright making whalers for the RN, as a small hint to the war effort without making it the sole focus. So I totally hear what you say about overdoing the war. I do want to try and tread a subtle hint without making it the sole focus. 

I do like the idea of a dockside crane, and a second goods shed instead of the engine shed is something I will consider.

Given that I plan to scratch build or design and 3D print most of the buildings on the layout, I am not limited to including any existing purchases.

Thanks for the 2c and the good ideas.

• RMweb Gold

Ah, then I am preaching to the choir; whalers from a small boatyard would be just the thing.  They might even be transported out by rail.

That was the idea :)

• RMweb Gold

So I started on the wiring-bus, opting for lots of feeder wires to ensure the DCC gets power and therefore signal to all parts of the track.

post-33869-0-05062500-1522029205_thumb.jpg

But of course just as you start you find you're missing a few wiring pieces you need so a trek into town to purchase what you need is the order of the morning. Hopefully some trains running this afternoon before I tackle the point motors, and then to start on the scenic elements.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

All the bits were acquired, the wiring was completed, the voltage and resistance was checked from one end to the other and it all looked good.

But...

(There is always a but)

The trains stall on the points. especially when running forward. Ironically they seem to work well when running in reverse.

After a forum search, checking connections, making sure the points were flat, and clean, still problems.

So the questions left are thus,

Are Peco points (electrofrog) the best way to go for a DCC setup?

I'm currently using code 100, but everything I seem to read online suggest going to code 75 adds a realism level that is worth it, as does moving away from settrack to flexitrack.

Thoughts?

DC or DCC doesn't make much difference on the dead/ live frog thing. If you're mostly running 4 and 6 wheel steam engines at low speeds then you'll really see the benefits of live frog. All wheel pickup bogie diesels or higher speeds and you won't see so much benefit.

So if I was building your layout I would use live frogs.