Lytchett Manor Models

John M Upton

• RMweb Premium

Hello

Some weeks ago whilst casually browsing I found a supplier of N scale Bedford trucks, Lytchett Manor Models.  I duly placed an order through their website on the fourth of February then completely forgot about it to the point where I had forgotten the name of the supplier until I managed to track it down last night.

Then the bad news appeared, this notice dated the 7th of February:

IMPORTANT NOTICE It is with deep regret that we announce today that due to the health issues that I have been suffering from for the last 3 years, it has finally won and I have to temporarily wind down all operations of Lytchett Manor Models.ALL outstanding orders will be completed but we are as of this date not accepting any more orders from the website.You can still obtain Lytchett Manor Models/ Gem products from the following retailers Antics, Starlight Models, Wizard Models, and Dundas Models.

Has anyone who placed orders prior to the notice going up (7th of February) heard or received anything at all?

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Still not received anything which is understandable but also no order acknowledgement either bar the PayPal payment confirmation.

Should I cut my loses and seek a refund through PayPal?

• RMweb Premium

I would go for the PayPal option, Given the lack of communications, you could keep up the other route and suddenly find that you have run out of time to claim your money back. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just to note that I received a kit through the post from Lytchett Manor today.  It was an order placed and paid for in early January.  I had noted the then comments on the website of possible delays as cast to order etc.  Then noted the health suspension on here.  Accordingly, I never chased and would have been happy to write off the order.  Anyway point is that we have a respectable trader doing what they said they would do.  Well done and good luck.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Anyone any news on Lytchett? Anyone know if we are likely to see the old GEM kits and chassis back in production, if only on a basis of make to order? I have a significant buying list if they are.

• 3 weeks later...

Just looked on Lytchett website and the 'temporary outage' message has now gone. There are no longer any links except for mercontrol stuff and a message to allow 28 days for delivery. Anyone know whats happening? Im after an etched (preferred) 4-4-0 chassis for the Precursor and really dont fancy scratch building (mainly due to time).

Just looked on Lytchett website and the 'temporary outage' message has now gone. There are no longer any links except for mercontrol stuff and a message to allow 28 days for delivery. Anyone know whats happening? Im after an etched (preferred) 4-4-0 chassis for the Precursor and really dont fancy scratch building (mainly due to time).

I would guess that they are easing back into production/selling things. It maybe worth dropping them an email?

If you are desperate for a Precursor chassis someone is selling them on eBay at the moment. A bit more than you would normally pay due to the postage from Spain. Works out about a tenner more than you would pay normally.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GEM-etched-chassis-kit-for-George-V-or-Precursor-L1-type-arrangement/221735419323?hash=item33a075fdbb:g:DlsAAOSwv0tVIR~r

Jason

Many thanks for the advice Jason. I contacted Lytchett and they sold me a Precursor chassis over the phone. Whilst the price before going offline was £34-25, it now cost me £45 + postage so it would appear prices will go up when back on line. I didnt ask any questions about the continued selling on line, but I think it may be some time before we see GEM white metal bodyline kits back on sale as they were cast to order in most recent times.

....If you are desperate for a Precursor chassis someone is selling them on eBay at the moment. A bit more than you would normally pay due to the postage from Spain. ....

I recognise the seller as Mike Wynn, who used to be Tru-Scale Models in Rhyl in the late 1980s/early 1990s. He emigrated to Spain in the end, and seems to live in a quiet part of town

• 1 year later...

Just to hopefully put all these rumours and other comments to sleep.

1. I have NOT given up!

2. I have been having to ease back what I do due to a rather difficult life changing illness that I am suffering from which will not get better.

3. I am working hard to get items back in to stock that are out of stock namely Mercontrol being one.

4. The N gauge range is still available, please email and I will send out a list, the N gauge pages are being re worked for the website.

5. I am still working on new products which are taking time to develop but are progressing slowly.

6. I lost a family member 2 years ago and it has taken time to get over it.

hopefully that will put paid to all these comments and rumours that have been put around about me, yes it is taking longer to get orders out than i would like but when you are left with days with little or no energy, it takes time to even get out of bed and those days even that is enough.  When you are living in constant 24/7 pain  and no pain relief will work,you then find that energy reserves disappear very quickly.

All I can do is apologise and if you do place an order please understand that it will be dealt with as quickly as I can. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
Further update

There is a small delay at this current time as we are having some building work undertaken, this is being dragged out due to the  very well documented various supply issues of materials within the building sector.  Whist this is hampering our operations we are still getting orders out and we are doing this as quickly as we can.  Living with a hidden illness is not fun, and I have never wanted to be in a situation where I am needing more help with the simple tasks, like getting out of bed for example. I can only apologise for the delays and say that they are out of my hands, but I am doing my best to get back up to date and work on new models.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Happy customer here. Bought a super d early 2020. Lead times were a little longer than maybe is expected but was delivered within advertised time and considering casting to order pretty quick. Also had good support when I had an issue with prompt responses.

No association other than as a customer.

• 2 weeks later...

We have removed all the pages for the time being as we have full order books and we want to get as much cleared before Christmas as we can.  The pages will be back up in the early part of 2022.  I am also looking in to improving the site and putting in order acknowledgements wwhen orders are palced.  

I can only apologise for the delays but I am working on getting everything out as quickly as I can.

• Like 4

******  NOTICE*******

As of Yesterday 01.12.2021  I am no longer the owner of GEM/ FLEETLINE range of products. 

Lytchett Manor Models has nothing to do with the GEM/Fleetline range of products from this date.  I would like to thank all of our customers during my tenure of the range of products.

I have been in contact with the new owner hopefully he will announce himself soon.

• Friendly/supportive 1

****** ANNOUNCEMENT ******

Further to Matthew's post, I am pleased to announce that I have purchased the Gem/Fleetline business from Terry Henson, It will be a while before models are available as I am in the process of producing new moulds using the original masters so that I can provide quality models for everyone. You can visit my website,-  http://www.johndaymodels.co.uk/  and click on the 'What's New' tab for information and updates.

I will be uploading a list of the models in the coming weeks, and for anyone interested I have now uploaded the  N gauge Beaver Products range which I also now own, so there is much to look forward to!

Daryle;  John Day Models.

5..JPG

• Like 5

10 hours ago, micklner said:

Who will doing be the Loco kits ?

Hi Mick,

I'm afraid that there will be no hurry to bring the Gem 00 locos back, although very popular with some people, these models are the least viable given the large amount of RTR available, but never say never!

Daryle.

Edited by johndaymodels
Typo
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Daryle, do you have a timescale for your GPO8 model please? I own SLF 530 (so a couple of vans before the one on your website) and would be interested in getting a 4mm scale version.. I also have a '67 E reg engineers van..

Andy G

36 minutes ago, uax6 said:

Daryle, do you have a timescale for your GPO8 model please? I own SLF 530 (so a couple of vans before the one on your website) and would be interested in getting a 4mm scale version.. I also have a '67 E reg engineers van..

Andy G

Hi Andy,

So much to do, but it is in the pipeline, I will do my utmost to produce it by the end of February 2022. Some pics of your vans would be appreciated.

Daryle.

Edited by johndaymodels
Typo

• RMweb Premium

Sadly my van is not really in a photographic state, being very much derelict sadly, and waiting for me to get the time to start rebuilding her....

Andy G