Provincial Wagons UTA Brown Van

leslie10646

To celebrate St Patrick's Day, a new wagon which could almost be seen from Slemish where the Saint "wrought a few".

The Ulstermen (remember we've got St P up there!) have been pestering me for years to do a "Brown Van" and today the prototype arrived from the Isle of Wight - 

post-16179-0-39689100-1521236327_thumb.jpg

Now that I have a couple of sides to send to Steve at Railtec, the next job is the transfers - not a lot, as it happens.

The eagle-eyed among the NCC fans will realise that this is the UTA version built in the late 1940s after WW2. The earlier NCC version has a totally different  chassis and wheelbase.

I should have supplies for Bangor Model Railway Exhibition on 21/22 April.

Happy St Patrick's Day!

Leslie

Edited by leslie10646
  • Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Just an extra note to say that the van kit is now in production and I should have about fifty kits at Bangor.

As I have over fifty "statements of interest", if you plan to pick one up at Bangor, please send me a message through my website and I will reserve one for you.

The van kit, is priced at £29 and comes complete with transfers offering several different numbers - these will be the original numbers which they carried - there was a re-numbering.  

Leslie

Only problem I see there is that it is necessary to rework the roof to the correct profile (low arch with more sharply curved sections at sides).   The roof detail is a characteristic feature of the brown vans.

Jeremy.

Only problem I see there is that it is necessary to rework the roof to the correct profile (low arch with more sharply curved sections at sides).   The roof detail is a characteristic feature of the brown vans.

Jeremy.

It looks as if Leslie's model has 4 boards width above the height of the sides.  The preserved one in Whitehead has approximately the same.

post-12350-0-30693100-1522954545_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It seems that the brown van roof is part elliptical in contour like on a coach whereas the usual goods van (wagon) has a roof that is basically part cylindrical in form.   A small detail but it makes a big difference to the overall appearance.

The attached photo of a van at DCDR clearly shows this and it can be seen on David Jackson's photo of a line of wagons if you look carefully.

I have a question:-   The model van is shown in a near red.  Were the brown vans originally this colour or is that because it is a pre-production version.   I just remember the vans in a faded greyish brown.      I assume the ones on sale are unpainted.

Jeremy.

post-16342-0-36933300-1524011632_thumb.jpg

I take it the colour on the 'brown van' at Whitehead is close to the original colour as I presume the RPSI did the necessary research before painting.  I see in the photo you posted the van is green which the colour the UTA used. 

Having seen Leslie's "production"model at the NDMRS show, I can report that the "brown van" roof  is indeed an elliptical shape rather than pure round. On my earlier short versions (based on a Tri-ang chassis)  I used pieces of an old Graham Farish LMS coach roof for them; I would never rule out the possibility that differences exist and possibly some vans  had a different roof profile. (the RPSI one does look higher in the centre).  I think the vans were  turned out in a bauxite shade but lack of paint. dirt etc., soon changed this to a greyish brown colour.   Some were turned out in UTA green and also later in NIR maroon. They too will have suffered similar "weathering". 

Colm Flanagan

From what is said and seen it looks like the model is a good representation of the brown van.   And It comes with proper metal wheels from what I can see.   I expect to buy one or two.   I will just change the couplers to Kadees.

Jeremy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From what is said and seen it looks like the model is a good representation of the brown van.   And It comes with proper metal wheels from what I can see.   I expect to buy one or two.   I will just change the couplers to Kadees.

Jeremy.

Jeremy, I'll be delighted to sell you a couple of kits!

I'll admit that my two prototypes will have their couplings changed to Kadeem as well.

The wheels are worthy of note - I spotted these correct size Hornby ones on Amazon who offered the best price around and helped kept the price down!

Apparently wheel prices are on the rise, like everything coming out of China these days. Otherwise, of course, it's UK made (I'm pretty sure the little island off Southampton is still part of The Kingdom?).

You have to see this van in the flesh - so to speak - it's HUGE. I must post a photo of one beside a GNR 9 ton van!

Edited by leslie10646

• 2 weeks later...

Leslie,

I would like to buy one of your brown vans for a start.   Maybe more later on.

What would be the cost, including postage to Canada?.

Do you take payment via PayPal?.   If so to what email address?.  

The only 'special' request is for you to send the van without couplers as I prefer to use my own Kadees.

Jeremy.                .