Creating an IECC in JMRI

St. Simon

Hi,

I'm starting to design a new layout for a few years in the future. This time based on Fareham in Hampshire, which has quite a complex track and signalling plan,

Having created a physical IFS Panel using an Arduino for Norwood Road, I think for this I will have to go full DCC with computer based signalling, almost certainly on JMRI using Digitrax. In my pursuit of fully prototypical signalling, I would like the panel to look and function like an IECC or ROC.

I know that this has been done before, but I don't know where to begin in terms of creating the panel.

Does anyone know of anywhere I can get information on doing the above.

Simon

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Another question, which isn't necessarily JMRI related (although I'm still looking for answers for the previous question :) )

For the above IECC, I'm looking at the use of the Train Describers, I would like the drivers of the trains (situated at the fiddle yards at either end, with the signaller in the centre) to insert the head codes themselves using a miniature keyboard. I would also want to retain the facility for the signaller to insert the headcode using their own Headcodes.

How could I do that, how would it actually work in practicality?

Simon

• RMweb Gold

ISTR, Simon, that IECC was a trio of processors, two of which had to agree before a route could clear. You, as a qualified design engineer, are obviously gonna replicate this crucial decision-making process, aren’t you?

• Like 1

ISTR, Simon, that IECC was a trio of processors, two of which had to agree before a route could clear. You, as a qualified design engineer, are obviously gonna replicate this crucial decision-making process, aren’t you?

Whilst your correct in that an SSI has three processors, I'm only a qualified schemes designer, rather than an interlocking designer, so I'm not competent enough to design such a system, plus it's probably a little overkill for a model railway!

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Whilst your correct in that an SSI has three processors, I'm only a qualified schemes designer, rather than an interlocking designer, so I'm not competent enough to design such a system, plus it's probably a little overkill for a model railway!

Simon

Details. Always details!
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I know the last post here was a while ago but I was in the same boat a few years back.  I wanted an IECC style display, authentic British mas signalling features and train describers.  FWIW I looked extensively at JMRI and concluded what I wanted couldn't be done and I'd have to accept a compromise.  I even joined the development team for a while and contributed some pieces and tried to encourage them to take a less US centric view of the signalling building blocks.  Eventually I decided that what I could achieve signalling wise with JMRI wasn't ever going to be what I wanted so I gave up and developed my own solution from scratch.  I expect you'll have to make the same decision ie compromise or do it another way.  I use JMRI for decoder programming but every other facet of the layout operation is done exclusively through my software. 

21 hours ago, RobjUK said:

This may be of interest - though I have no idea how you can integrate it with other systems, or if that is even possible.

https://www.simsig.co.uk/

I'm familiar with that and whilst it is possible in theory in practice it isn't.  To have any chance you'd need the source code (which you almost certainly wouldn't get) so you'd be trying to reverse engineer it which just isn't worth the effort.  Even if you got the source code I think it is written in Delphi which whilst being perfectly fine isn't particularly widely used.  In short you'd be on a hiding to nothing. 

On 17/03/2018 at 16:21, St. Simon said:

Does anyone know of anywhere I can get information on doing the above.

If you are free on July 20th there will be demonstrations and talks about JMRI at the Chiltern Model Railway Association's Interactive Modellers Workshop. You will be able to sit down and talk to experts on this very subject

The ticketing details can be found, on a PDF, here

A4-Flyer-2019.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi,

For those that might interested, over the past couple of months I've managed to create an IECC in JMRI for my new layout

Collingwood_IECC.JPG.e1071fe38e82a41482f40eac9fe3d223.JPG

It works like a proper IECC and Interlocking with Train Describers and (in the near future) intelligent, but limited, Automatic Route Setting.

Simon

• Like 3