Witney Euston

mitziblue

Hi Mark.

I'm quite intriged to see what you do with those sideframes you mentioned - would they be for a Kirtley 0-6-0 by any chance...?

Finished in black would be a great addition to WE!

Glad to see your layout is moving forwards.

Cheers,

Chris

Quote - The planking is.75mm wide with .4mm gaps all cut into .25mm card, this proved to be as thick as I could use and still cut cleanly threw. Unquote

That is impressive! Try cutting that with a sharp knife. Betcha give up after about three gaps.

I wonder if I could justify a robo-cutter to Mrs Noswal?

Hi Ben

Is your wife into crafting? my wife sugested this for her birthday 2 years ago and under protest I agreed with potential projects spinning around my head :D .

Chris

You got it. May keep it in red thou it is a suprissingly small engine and going to take some working out.

post-7093-127083547308_thumb.jpg

That is impressive! Try cutting that with a sharp knife. Betcha give up after about three gaps.

Looked at it last year didn't even attempt one cut built it in plasticard it took to long and i wasn't over impressed.

Started building the fence along the road today out of .56mm plastic strips it,s going to take a while, but been put off to long, will photo when installed then just a few small things to do before the weather turns nasty on the last board. B)

Mark :)

• RMweb Premium

Thats very impressive Mark.

I wonder if I could justify a robo-cutter to Mrs Noswal?

Well, Mrs Sithlord acquired one for scrapbooking and I believe it has been appropriated from time to time........

Mark, regarding the stiffness of the card, the traditional method with card modelling is to paint thinned shellac onto the construction. I've tried this myself in the past, it soaks in well if thinned properly and when dry the card becomes remarkably stiffer.

Looking forward to more

Michael

At last

Finally happy with the field.

Took a walk over to the site yesterday armed with camera to get some last ideas before i pulled the scene together.

post-7093-127097502796_thumb.jpg

The hedge has been omitted also the fence changed to an earlier style and thined the trees out a little to stop the station being to obscured after all this is not an exact replica just trying to get te feel of the place. ;)

Very happy with the way things have panned out, this end of the board has allways worried me but now i'm sure the rest will work out ok. Now this has come together i feel confidence in the layout again and am now happy to work on it more often.

post-7093-127097560058_thumb.jpg

Mark :D

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the praise guys it really helps to push me along. Brian the sniffer dogs have been hunting for the escaped post for a week now but still no luck, guess i'll have to cut a new one. ;)

Work pushes on slow due to extra work but i have started rebuilding the station building just couldn't convince myself it was right. This time i used the robo cutter to chop it out for me but having trouble with the windows as the cutting mat has lost it's grip so will have to order a new one.

Also temporary fitted the lights to check they flood the whole scene and dont throw to many shadows around which was very sucsessfull.

Work also continues on the fence panels but have just ran out of the rail strip so shopping tomorrow.

All in all very happy with the way things are going so here's the first shot under it's own lighting. :)

post-7093-127170424864_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Getting close now

At last finally finished the road off :D ,that's 3/4 of the last board done now all that's left to sort out is the wooden platform at the back for the mills and put the sheds in.

The station building has been remade (again) but still using the roof sections as these were ok.

Awaiting the rest of the lights to turn up then the lighting pelmet can be finnished also will move the layout in a few weeks to a bigger area where it can be set up in its entireaty for final fetling before its debut.

Now all I have to do is finish the wagons ,coaches and get the locos running right :unsure:

post-7093-127335115445_thumb.jpg

Been a busy couple of weeks

Three of the six wheel coaches are now ready the forth will have to wait for now due to lack of wheels and springs.

P O wagons have been receiving dg couplings.

the backscene has had a touch up with the airbrush and the last of the snow has finnally fallen. Didn't mean to ignore you Dave had trouble with the computer the snow is Scenic snow flakes.

Next week Witney Euston moves to a new location in a barn for final fettling. Here I will be able to leave it set up and my wife can have the house back.

Extra lights have been ordered but I still await delivery then the pelmit can be finished also have to clean the track as snow really does stop the trains.

Just leaves me to put up a few final shots.

post-7093-127402548648_thumb.jpg

post-7093-127402549875_thumb.jpg

post-7093-127402550709_thumb.jpg

post-7093-127402551997_thumb.jpg

Mark.

That looks absolutely fantastic. A crisp, cold winter's morning with a fresh coating of snow. It also helps give the impression of a rather sleepy place - fresh coat of overnight snow, clearer skies in the morning, and no kids about to start throwing it at each other...

I can't help feeling that it needs footprints though. Don't want to overdo it - the sleepiness would be enhanced by a few sets of footprints here and there, but too many would produce the impression of too much activity. I'd restrict it to the tracks left by the various staff coming to work this morning, and the horse and cart arriving, and maybe one or two of the hardiest passengers arriving or departing, but nothing more...

It makes me feel cold just looking at it. Mind you, it is winter here (down to eleven degrees C last night - enough for a doona and woolly socks). You are a brave man making your layout look something different from the usual suspects - spring sunshine and happy happy joy joy green everywhere. This is so much more of a personal and very believable vision.

Keep up the good work!

I have to stop typing now - my fingers are going numb. Nurse! More coffee!

Thanks guys for all the comments. I'm glad you think it comes across well as a cold morning scene.

I can't help feeling that it needs footprints though.

Haven't totally worked out how to do wheel tracks yet so footprints could be fun but will try it off layout first thou.

Now to this week. My van hasn't been to well as late so most of the time was playing with that, but today I had time to move the layout to a new location. The first thing I have learnt is the layout fits in the car which is a bonus,the building I have moved it to is an old barn which i built a 75' dedicated railway room in for a freind which is well enough insulated that it feels your walking into a fridge. It took just over 10 mins to unload and set up the layout althou this did not include lighting or stock but am very happy with the ease of construction.

The layout hasn't been run since christmas time before most of the scenery work was done,hence a 2 hour track cleaning session after which things ran reasonably smoothly.

One problem with my loose coal loads using magnets to remove them has shown up inwhich they are attracted to my uncoupling magnets, so rework is needed here.

Next job on the ajeder is to clean all the wheels on the rolling stock before I revisit the barn next week.

Afew shots of the layoutin temp accomodation.

post-7093-127464535955_thumb.jpg

post-7093-127464536604_thumb.jpg

Nice.

Is it an English tradition to have low backscenes and work from behind the layout? Over here we tend to follow the US and have much higher backscenes and work from the front to talk to the punters. Mind you, we don't get the anoraks here like you do.

Hard to believe from the photos that this is only 2mm. A sign of quality modelling and attention to detail.

Five Humphreys :good_mini: :good_mini: :good_mini: :good_mini: :good_mini:

• RMweb Gold

Lookin good Mark - I concur with Bryn - 39 days to wait!

One question if I may? - I presume the front fascias in white are currently in undercoat and I wondered whether you are going to paint it in the 'traditional' black or leave it in white? I only ask, because the more I look at the white, the more it seems to go with the whole wintery feel of WE?

Pete

Archived