Witney Euston

mitziblue

Mark,

Thanks again for letting me play trains yesterday - thoroughly enjoyed it; and much to his surprise, so did David :). I didn't see any other area's with quite such a high level of silliness - it must have been the excess of sugar, but although the jelly babies had all gone by the end of the day, the Red Bull wasn't finished!

post-6085-012991300 1287957349_thumb.jpg

Mark giving detailed instructions to the 'assistant deputy driver', note the typical teen look of studious attention / bemusement / startled rabbit (delete as appropriate); taken early in the day before the wagons were loaded, but Ted had already started to bimble around the layout...

It's a little known fact that Witney was a major manufacturer for the Bassett sweet chain; here wagon loads of jelly babies are collected from the goods shed...

post-6085-046499800 1287958118_thumb.jpg

...shunted until a full train was assembled...

post-6085-076907400 1287958217_thumb.jpg

post-6085-099126200 1287958278_thumb.jpg

...and then rushed off (as fast as possible!) on the Jelly Baby Express...

post-6085-003031100 1287958670_thumb.jpg

I don't think anyone knew that a Johnson Goods could go so fast :O

• 1 month later...

My God

It seems ages since I found myself updating this thread.

Apart from continuing maintainance to rolling stock not much has happened on Witney, it still sits in a barn in bits desserted since its last outing. Hopefully I will get some time to work on the points over the Christmas holidays\and then start adding more detail to the layout.

Back home running quality and cosmetic looks to the engines have been going on, new chips, extra wheels for pickup and two engines have had a respray testing is now taking place on the ox 2mm groups layout W.S.I which we erected last week to have some running sessions before xmas and the running is improving.

Also working my way threw a rake of cattle wagons cut from card on the robo cutter but this is moving slowly. The 1f is almost finnished just needs coal and a driver then a little tonning down.

post-7093-056905500 1291066958_thumb.jpg

The only other thing i have been working on is a piece for model rail, not being much of a writer that was a real struggle for me, guess we'll know just how bad I am when it hits the shops on thursday. hope any of you who buy it enjoy the read as much as i hated writing it :P

Mark :)

Mark, that 1F is looking great. Good stuff.

What does it run like?

It's real Witney weather at the moment all right!

Hope to see you in the new year, and looking forward to seeing Witney in MR too.

A quick addendum : I have now got a copy of Model Rail and Witney looks superb in those photos. Your article was interesting to read too - I wasn't aware of the history of your project.

By the way - with reference to your 1F above, I just wondered what height you set your DG's to, as they seem a tad lower than mine, and what your yardstick was?

Cheers,

Chris

Congratulations Mark - just read the Model Rail article and it really does the layout justice :drink_mini: . The text is great and gives an appreciation of the 'story' of the model and the amount of effort and attention to detail you have put into it . The photos are outstanding, and the smoke effects just add that bit extra to bring the trains to life :good_mini: .

(...and not a jelly baby in sight :P )

Hi Chris

The 1F isn't running as well as I would like at the moment the back set of wheels are in a slight twist but not much of aprob to sort out my biggest concern is the chip blew friday night for no apparent reason but have yet to check why. The d g couplings havn't been set to height as yet but seem to couple up ok. as to yard stick if you mean what i uncouple with it's just a length of brass tube with a bent guitar string soldered in the end.

Steve come on now, the text is great :lol: ok the imformation is there but it reads like a five year old wrote it :D yes i will agree the photos are fabulous but thats all down to Mr Nevard. Still it's good to see my work in print.

Ok on to this week ,yesterday i took a trip to Reading for an O gauge trade show I all ways fancied having a bash at one of these beasts but will hold out for a while longer. But there were some fabulous looking midland engines there which filled me with enthusiasm to start my next loco project a 700 class outside framed tender freight engine.

This will be the first scratch built engine i will attempt to put some rivet detail on. I am far from a rivet counter and the intention is just to give it the look of the real thing so don't start counting :P

post-7093-071973900 1291563276_thumb.jpg

After marking out the tender sides a new toy from earlier in the year was bought out for it's first serious job.

post-7093-024924200 1291563285_thumb.jpg

The state of play at the moment . The flare to the tank top was formed in a vice once the corners were sniped before folding to shape. the corners were then built up with solder before filling to shape.

This will be a slow build as there are other projects on the go at the same time but I do feel really good about this one.

• RMweb Gold

Mark, hi

Rivets :O

Looks like a great start - am hoping to get a copy of Model Rail when next back in the UK around Boxing Day....if its still available -

Congratulations - Pete

Great start Mark, and a great choice of loco.

Look forward to seeing this one grow.

Interested to see how you tackle the the engine footplate, which of course has curves above the driving wheels.

Are you planning to have the motor in the tender and drive shft to engine in classic 2mmAS style?

I don't know if you've seen this site before, but although Steve builds in S scale, there may be some points of interest in his build experience for 2mm.

http://steverabone.com/sscalewebsite/building_a_kirtley_0.htm

Re my last post, I was referring to what datum you used for the DG heights, but you kind of answered my question anyway.

Regards,

Chris

Evening all

All ready begining to take back what I said about feeling good about this build. It seems something is trying it's best to stop this build, bits I could of sworn I had are missing and parts there were once plenty of are running out.

The tender went relatively easy just enough room for the motor but will require a full load of coal to cover it just the final detail bits left to do when I get some white metal springs and brass tube to fit the motor shaft.

The chassis for the engine was going well until the point of fitting the frame bushes 10 required and only 5 to hand, after unsucsesful phone calls to get some more quick I draged the lath out and was astonished that 6 new ones were turned out in less than an hour all without choice words.Assembly went well and the gear train ran free straight away. The outside frames were cut out mounths ago from 0.5mm double sided pcb which just left the running plate to go "what could go wrong". As Chris has mentioned the running plate curves over the wheels, after some hesd scratching two jigs of m d f with three slots cut in to match the wheel spacing were made in the first three 6mm brass rods were laid in the groove was cut so 2mm of the tubes stuck above the surface next pcb was placed on top then the other half of the jig and the whole thing cramped in a vice.

Adjusting the depth of the brass rods produced the desired effect.

After soldering up the frames the mill was used to cut out the slots for wheels and the gear box, time to chuck the whole thing and start again in brass as the structure was to weak another four hours wasted Finaly it was rebuilt and time to start the boilerthis was rolled frombrass sheet around a brasstube covered in masking tape. next a band around the smoke box was added with the addition of rivet detailthe smoke box door was also turned on the lathe additional boiler band were sweated on from strips of thin brassthe cab was then cut and soldered on but some thing dose not look right ther so this will have to be addressed later.

Finally the splashers, having done this before I took to the lathe again a brass tube which was just big enough to clear the wheels had one end squared up in the lathe before soldering on a piece of brass sheet across the endand then turned down to the size of the tube. parr it off to the right length and repeat two more times and your left with three bowls to cut the six splashers from.

One thing that has become aparant from the build so far is all the clearances around the wheels and frames are very tight andnow it's all made of brass and not p c b good insulation will be paramount to sucsesful running.

post-7093-064566500 1292273739_thumb.jpg

only one splasher attached at the momment as after all weekend working on it I need a break from it.

post-7093-044070300 1292273750_thumb.jpg

Hi Mark,

Watching you build this has reminded me of some of the problems I had with my 2-4-0. :D

The relationship of the rear wheels to the cab for example.

I am impressed that you are using 2 sets of bushes - I cheated and cut slots in the outside frames so that I only needed one set on the inner frame. The footplate and outer frames then slides over the chassis and it is bolted together. Its down to what youre happy with in the end I guess.

I do like the narrow tender - something I may have a go at as the Union Mills is way too big- and I also like the rivet work. Your idea for the splashers is also a good one and I was thinking along similar lines for the little 1F.

I am impressed that you own the equipment and skills to turn your own stuff. I'm afraid I am just Tom Cobble-y in that respect.Don't know what I'd do without NBrass!

Regards,

Chris

Hi

Found some extra time for some moddeling this week as the van won't come off the grass. Looking at the photos I took last time the outside frames were taken off again and filled down thiner giving a much better apearance the splashers are now all fitted and the wheels just clear the insides other amendments include moving the tendr body forward to center it better over the axles. Springs have been temporaraly fitted to the tender fassioned from white metal wagon axle box and springs from the 2mm asoc these will be removed before painting to aid the linning. Still need to revisit the cab sometime as this does not look right, it stands to high and needs a shallower curve to the roof.

Chris I dont think slotting the outside frames to go over the extended axle is a cheat as I can't see any other way of doing it and this is the method i will also use just havn't done it yet.

So that's as far as I will go now untill after xmas as the wife wants the dinning room table back, somthing about visitors over for boxing day. All that leaves me to do is wish you a merry xmas and a happy new year.

Mark

post-7093-0-15798500-1293010955_thumb.jpg

Merry Xmas to you too, Mark.

Looking better for the finer frames for sure.

The cab on my 2-4-0 is also a tad too high - my problem is not allowing for the thickness of the brass - and also making the profile too steeply curved. The Salter valves on both these locos should sit slightly proud of the cab roof.

What dia wheels did you fit - 9's?

The difficulty with the back wheels on mine was that they are six foot drivers. It doesn't appear to be so much a problem on the 0-6-0.

Best Wishes,

Chris

• 1 month later...

Hi

Been a while since i put a post on here but to be honest I havn't done any modeling until last week from before xmas.

Incentive was raised again threw helping run one of the local clubs layoutat an exhibition in St Albans a couple of weeks ago and now it's full steam ahead again.

Last week I had a play at strething a midland 9ft wheel base chasis to form a glass wagon all constructed from nickle silver which i now prefer to brass. The gantrywas fret sawed outof a single piece which took up most of the afternoonwhile watching chittychitty bang bang.

Really running low on spare parts at the mo wagon buffers ran out building the last wagonand this Sunday left to my own devises I thought iwould have a go at some dumb buffer stock, flicking threw my wagon books i found a pair of 6ft wheelbase bolsters so cutting down another two chassis a pair of these have now rolled off the production line.

post-7093-0-00028600-1295990864_thumb.jpg

post-7093-0-04555600-1295990868_thumb.jpg

Mark

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Often seen this thread and never looked because (1) it's 2mm and (2) the title made me think it would be something quite different :blush: , then guess what,I saw the Model Rail article(bit slow to get Oz) and flipped.....great work, fantastic article, the history is fascinating. I won't go 2mm...eyes you know :mellow: but will continue to follow this thread now.

Thanks for sharing.

Rgds.......Mike

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All

Ally Pally this past weekend was just what was needed to kick start my modeling again. A chance to sit down at a bench with a selection of tools,kits and explane and hopefully encourage a few people to give it a go.Hopefully they enjoyed it as much as me. With no other distractions such as guitars and the family I finally managed to get something done.

Work has now re comenced on my 700 class goods engine, this has been shelved for a while until I picked up the castings needed which I manadged at the show.Just about all the soldering is done now leaving the white metal springs,sand boxes and a few other pieces left to go.

post-7093-0-48283000-1301340853_thumb.jpg

post-7093-0-82318300-1301340903_thumb.jpg

As you can see there is still plenty of scrapeing and cleaning left to do but with incentive high I'm sure this won't be to much of a chore

Mark :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Updating this thread is becoming increasingly awkward for me to do as late, weather it's the lack of somthing new to write about or I'm just not enjoying it at the moment I just don't know.But here I am again.

Progress has moved on well with the goods engine all nicely painted up and looking fit to pull its first train. Well I wish that was the case, most of the evening has been dedicated to find the short when the body is on and there is still an intermitent one left. last night I fitted the smaller motor in the tender only to find it sits to high still, this is not a big problem at the moment as I can lower it in to the frames slightly but it all goes to zapping the confidence somewhat. All these little problems and I still have my pet hate to go forming the universal joints between the tender and the engine :( .

Still got a dart match to go to tommorow and no time the rest of the week, at least now I can walk away from it untill the weekend

,post-7093-0-11166900-1302552306_thumb.jpg

Mark :mellow:

• RMweb Premium

Its been far to nice outside at the moment to be playing with trains, which has most defiantly led to a downturn in my modelling output Mark. I sure that your's will pick up again soon, as they say sometimes a rest is as good as a break.

Archived